PDA

View Full Version : Any WDW advice appreciated!

mom2ian
05-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I am looking at planning a trip to WDW in December. I received a pin code in an email and requested a quote from a certain travel agency. I was very surprised that I received a response not only within one day, but on a Sunday! Anyway, apparently the dates available for the pin code in December (7-13) are also the week of the Pop Warner Superbowl. Does this mean it will be crowded? On the Disney website, this week is listed as a "slow" week.

The travel agent mentioned that the values and some mods are booked up for that week because of the Pop Warner, but she was still able to price me out for the resorts I requested (Pop and CSR).

I am also trying to decide whether to go with a value or mod. We have only ever stayed off property when we have been to WDW and I am trying to determine whether this is more cost effective since we won't have to rent a car and pay for parking. The difference in price between the value and mod is $360 (actually $300 since the mod will have a fridge).

What is better about staying at a mod and are either Pop or CSR somewhere you would stay?

I will be going with DH and DD9 and DS5.

Thanks!

jnorth1007
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I would say that if you are wanting to avoid the kids then you should stay at a Mod and you may still see some of them at the hotel. However, for the most part you won't see them at the parks since they are in competitions all day and only have a limited amount of time to view the parks. If you stay in a value you will see them. They practice at the hotels and they are all over the place there. THe foodcourts will be crazy at those hotels. Some of them over flow to the moderates- The Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter especially. I would say that you won't have any issues with them being there but you may have a lot of noise if you stay where they are staying. Choose a hotel they won't want to go to and you won't even notice they are there. We have been twice during that week and that touring is fabulous and slow and the weather is nice.

Hedy
05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Pop warner has a bad reputation among WDW fans. I'm not saying it's deserved, but some Pop Warner kids got kicked out of AllStarSports for behavior last year. They mainly stay at values, so consider that. The beginning of my trip last year coincided with the end of Pop Warner (and POFQ held cheerleader overflow)-other than seeing more skinny blonde teenagers than I've ever seen in my life, they weren't horribly behaved.

mom2ian
05-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the tips! The travel agent did say that Port Orleans was getting full in addition to the values. I'm trying to be budget concious, but it will be worth the extra $ to not have to listen to DH complain about tons of teenagers and things being crowded at the resort.

cglaura
05-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I stayed at Pop during that week last year (part of it...I arrived on a Tuesday). I didn't notice anything outrageous as far as crowds. I think they leave for practice or compitition pretty early so it might be a timing issue to figure out with the food courts, but there were no large groups hanging around the resort or anything.

The only time I had trouble was Saturday night at Epcot, alot of them there in big crowds. But, that is also kind of my fault....I should have known better, I knew it was their last day there! But, I have to say, those that I encountered were very polite, the girls and guys both, they were just clumped in large groups and hard to get around.

eaglesdare
05-19-2008, 09:00 AM
i went this past december and stayed at pop. the only time i knew they were there was one time in the food court they were all singing. but other than that i had no problems at all. and even that singing wasn't bad, it was just loud. but they did sing good. lol

a couple other times i saw smaller groups sitting on the buses and we just chatted with them. again no problems.

i give a vote for the values, as i just can't justify the cost of anything more than that. now if money wasn't my concern, well i have to say i would go with the deluxes. so far i have only been lucky once with that. someday i will get lucky again.

MooseBrains
05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I say go with a moderate. The landscaping is very relaxing and you won't have the large icons in your face. Although some folks really like the icons. I rather have grass and trees. Everyone has a choice. For us it is the mods.

I have never been during Pop Warner but I have yet to hear anyone rave about the kids.

linanglab
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
We have stayed at Sports and Port Orleans. We like both. What we liked about POR mostly was the relaxation and the boat to DTD. However, we still really liked Sports. LIked the theming, and the feeling at being in the middle of Disney ALL the time.

Don't know about Pop Warner week, however, we stay during the week of July 4th, and from what I have read, that is the 3-4th busiest time of the year. POR food court was not near as busy at the AStar Sports. If it were me, only because I am VERY frugal :) I would stay at value. But if $300 is not that much of a crunch (and it really isn't too much more), then go to a mod. You can't beat the boat to dtd. It is REALLY very nice.

chipndale
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
We have been to Disney the past two years during Pop Warner. The parks are not crowded during the day - very low attendance - no waiting in lines and hardly had to use fast pass. In the evening we did encounter some larger groups of kids but it was nothing bad. We planned our trip that we would have a nice family dinner Friday evening so that we could avoid the kids. We too are thinking about staying at Pop Century that week - with a AAA discount it would take the room to $65.00 a night but if it is going to be crowded and noisy. We stayed as CSR the past two years and saw no signs of Pop Warner week - just the usual convention folks there. I too am really torn about which way to go. Am interested to see what others have to say.

mom2ian
05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Looks like we will go that week, now I'm just waiting to hear back from my parents if they want to go to. If that happens my decision will be made as we will be staying at their time share and using their vehicle. Otherwise I think we will be staying at CSR. Now that he's had a few days to think about it, DH mentioned that it would be worth the $300 to stay there away from the teenagers. I told him that's what I said here 2 days ago and he was LOL.

Now if only I can find a fantastic deal on airline tickets we are all set!

schaery
05-23-2008, 09:16 AM
I am looking at planning a trip to WDW in December. I received a pin code in an email and requested a quote from a certain travel agency. I was very surprised that I received a response not only within one day, but on a Sunday! Anyway, apparently the dates available for the pin code in December (7-13) are also the week of the Pop Warner Superbowl. Does this mean it will be crowded? On the Disney website, this week is listed as a "slow" week.

In the past, that week has been a "slow" week. However, DH and I were there 12/9-12/15 last year, and it was busier than in the past. Not crowded but definitely more people than previous years. I think WDW has advertised this time as being slow so much that more people are going during that time. That being said, it's my very favorite time to go. The Christmas decorations and atmosphere are so wonderful. And if you have the funds, get tickets to MVMCP. Also, The Osborne Family Lights in Hollywood Studios are spectacular. This year we'll be staying at Pop Century during Pop Warner week so I'm a little concerned about all that. We missed them by a week last year. We stayed at POR Alligator Bayou and absolutely loved it.