PDA

View Full Version : Going to Disney Twice!!-Maybe

jakeandsophiesmom
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I never would have imagined when I woke up this morning that by the end of the day I would be furiously planning a trip to Disney in a little over a month!!:cooldance::cooldance: At work we have a bulletin board for people to sell things and my coworker and I decided to check it out this morning to see if there was anything new. There was!! A three bedroom villa for 1200 the week of July 4th, which works out b/c our plant closes down for the week. It only took us half a second to realize we could share the villa and split the cost. We were so excited I don't think we got a lot of work done today!

Only problem is --my DS is on the allstar baseball team and would more than likely be playing that week, so he and DH would not be able to go. Both DS and DH have said to take DD and go have fun since we are going in Dec. also. I just feel like I would be a horrible mom missing out on watching him play in the tourneys. What to do, What to do???

eaglesdare
05-21-2008, 06:47 PM
wow, now that would be a hard decision. i would have no problem going to disney without my son (as i have done that), but i would have a problem of going when something is going on in his life.

i hate to say this, but i probably would not go, i would have to stay and watch my son play ball and take lots of pictures.

but if you do go, have lots of fun!

jenvance
05-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Definitely a hard decision, I am not sure which I would pick, but I guess I would probably have to stay and watch my son also. Sorry.

jakeandsophiesmom
05-21-2008, 08:12 PM
After being away from the hype and excitement of going to Disney and taking a few minutes to think about it by myself, I realize that I could not miss him playing ball. As you can see from my pics, I am so very proud of him and I am horrified that I even thought about missing it!

Now we just wait on the schedules to be released to see if we have any tourneys that week.

jenvance
05-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I will keep my fingers crossed for you

iluvamystery89
05-21-2008, 10:38 PM
wow, that's a really tough one, but i have to agree with you, i think i'd watch my DS play ball. you might not wanna be at wdw that week anyway, crowds will be HORRIBLE (i hear the MK was closed last july 4th b/c it was at capacity) and you'd probably encounter some brazilian tour groups too. does that make ya feel better? ;)

DisneyMa
05-22-2008, 12:38 AM
oh, Liz, what a crappy choice to make! Disney or your kid?:confused:

Well, I know I would be a "bad" mom and choose Disneyland!! There are video cameras and cell phones for a reason!!:rotfl:

Let us know if you get to go.

linanglab
05-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Well....I would choose Disney....Let me tell you why. My oldest DS plays basketball all year round. He has THE tournament of the year the SAME weekend as our SR Mall of America meet. I decided to miss the tourney and take Bethany to MOA. It was a HARD decision and I have shed a few tears over it (doesn't help that I tend to be an emotional one!)

The reason? Bethany has spent years, since she was 1 year (soccer, baseball, football, basketball) watching both brothers play sports. She has put up with it, definitely has complained some, and has been bored out of her mind at times(even when bringing toys along). This tourney is a 4 day event and I thought it would be nice to do something fun for her. She LOVES malls and MOA has so many fun things for the 2 of us to do.

So, I have made the very tough decision to take Bethany on a girl trip to MOA. She is excited beyond belief. I will definitly miss Linden play basketball, and will be making lots of calls to DH to see how the team is doing, but at the same time, I will be doing something wonderful with another child of mine and leaving lasting memories.

Hope it all works out!

eaglesdare
05-22-2008, 07:43 AM
now i can completely understand missing something with one child while doing and event with another child. sometimes that is the only way to do it.

i get my enjoyment from the kids, they are what makes me happy. so if i missed an event with a child, for my own pleasure, well i just don't think i would get any pleasure out of it.
...i sometimes feel guilty when i go out to dinner with just my hubby.

anyway, let us know what decision you make, and we will cheer you on either way.

m 'n c
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Well....I would choose Disney....Let me tell you why. My oldest DS plays basketball all year round. He has THE tournament of the year the SAME weekend as our SR Mall of America meet. I decided to miss the tourney and take Bethany to MOA. It was a HARD decision and I have shed a few tears over it (doesn't help that I tend to be an emotional one!)

The reason? Bethany has spent years, since she was 1 year (soccer, baseball, football, basketball) watching both brothers play sports. She has put up with it, definitely has complained some, and has been bored out of her mind at times(even when bringing toys along). This tourney is a 4 day event and I thought it would be nice to do something fun for her. She LOVES malls and MOA has so many fun things for the 2 of us to do.

So, I have made the very tough decision to take Bethany on a girl trip to MOA. She is excited beyond belief. I will definitly miss Linden play basketball, and will be making lots of calls to DH to see how the team is doing, but at the same time, I will be doing something wonderful with another child of mine and leaving lasting memories.

Hope it all works out!

Thanks for posting this Angela. I wanted to reply with something similar last night but wasn't sure how.

Liz you will not be a terrible mother for missing one tournament. I was Bethany growing up and went to tournament after tournament, game after game for my brother and sometimes would have fun and often times be bored as heck in the stands. I think he got off unfairly though because I only had 1 dance recital he had to sit through. Should have thought about that at the time and maybe joined a competitive sports team :rotfl:

Magical JenK
05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Liz-I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the right one for you....

However:angel:....I think going to Disney w/your daughter would be a great experience that you would never regret!! As a non-mom I can't really empathize, but I think Ang & Cate make EXCELLENT points!:blush:

I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason...you just HAPPENED to go to the board & just HAPPENED to do the math & just HAPPENED to have a DH who said, "yeah, go!" Your work will just HAPPENED to be closed that week.....Need any other reasons?:angel:

Good luck!

jakeandsophiesmom
06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
So the verdict is in and......WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY!!!!:party::party:

We got the schedule yesterday and the tourney starts on the Fri. we would leave and would end on Sunday, Monday if there are any rainouts. So now we know that we have a few options. Either Sophie and I go on Friday and the boys fly down after the tourney, or we all go together after the tourney, or Sophie and I go and the boys stay at home for a guys week together. Of course since DH is starting a new job, we have to consider that he can't go at all.

I am once again leaning slightly towards having a "girls" week and missing the games b/c Sophie has had to go to a crazy amount of games this year. (Jake was on three teams this yr--rec team, travel team, and alternate for another travel team). And not to mention that the boys are not really theme park fans (oh the horror!!).

So, we are definitely going, we just haven't figured out how many of us and for how many days!!

Hedy
06-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Woohoo! :party::party::party:

Magical JenK
06-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh that's soooo fun & going to be here soooo soon! Congrats Liz! Don't forget...we LOVE photos, so be sure to take some!! :0)

Blessing and Miracle
06-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm glad it worked itself out! I think I would have taken DD also. The two of you could do some bonding and the guys could as well.

I'm sure DS would have understood, especially since you're always there!

Happy Planning!

jakeandsophiesmom
06-07-2008, 10:25 PM
It's definitely going to be interesting b/c I am such a Disney freak and like to have a plan going in and the other family going is a fly by the seat of the pants type. We are only doing Disney for three days :( and maybe Sea World if my friend can get the free passes from her uncle that works at SW in San Diego. Luckily the resort we are staying at (Orange Lake) looks like it has more than enough to keep all the kids occupied for the other days.

Tons of pics, promise!! And I might even try my hand at a trip report when I get back! It may not be as witty as some, but who doesn't love a trip report?!?

askomsky
06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Great news Liz!!! I'm so glad it worked out for you.

I agree that sometimes the other kids have to learn how to deal with siblings and their activities. My girls know what it's like to get woken up at 5am on a Sat/Sun morning 30 degrees and get drugged 45 mins away to a hockey game for their brother.

On the other hand DS had a conflict, fun hockey league game last night or baseball game OR his sister's pre school graduation. I had to make the decision and sent him on to baseball (they needed him more) and the rest of us went to her graduation. We made it back for hte last half hour of his game, but sometimes it's about the family learning how to work together with a little give and take.

My point????? Missing a game won't be the end of the world, we have 3 kids, I'm coaching tball and DD4's soccer games happen to be at the same time as tball. I've only been able to see 1 of her games while DH has only been able to see 1 of DD5's tball games. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

SO ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!! No matter what you decide to do!

Pooh's Pal
06-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Oh Liz, I am soooo happy for you! I love Sea World too, take lots of pictures, You and Sophie will have a Magical time!!! :)
How many in the other family?

p.s. I'm wicked jealous too :D

linanglab
06-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Yea for you Liz! It will be wonderful!

And Deb...I am with you! WICKED jealous! BUT VERY happy for you Liz! We will be waiting for pics!

Sunni
06-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Glad it all worked out Liz! I agree with everyone! Can't wait for pics and your trip report! :sunshine:

jakeandsophiesmom
06-11-2008, 07:10 PM
If I could only win the lottery, I'd bring all of you down!! The more the merrier!

Deb-the other family is four, my coworker, her DH, DD(9) and DD(4). The kids get along great so I think we will have a blast!! BTW--we'll both be down at the same time in Dec--I'm seeing another SR meet!!

schaery
06-12-2008, 09:02 AM
So the verdict is in and......WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY!!!!:party::party: So, we are definitely going, we just haven't figured out how many of us and for how many days!!

Well, I didn't really want to right and sound "unmotherly" myself but my vote was to go to WDW. I'm sure you do so much for and with your DS, and your DH will be there with him at the tournament, so I think you deserved some Disney time for yourself. Hope you have a magical trip. DH and I went without my DD last year (but she is 17) and even caught some flack for that but I wouldn't have done it any other way. We needed some fun time to ourselves.

m 'n c
06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Congrats Liz!! I think yall will have a blast.

Hedy
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
yay, Liz!