PDA

View Full Version : Traveler's cheques?

Hedy
05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Would anyone else be interested in traveler's checks as rewards? I'm not sure if it's be do-able (google seems to have no purchasers with affiliate programs, which is why I'm thinking rewards), but I wanted to gauge popularity before I asked officially.

bbangel
05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
I haven't used traveller's cheques in years. They can be quite difficult to cash internationally and it is much easier to just use a debit card or credit card.

Hedy
05-26-2008, 04:32 PM
I haven't used traveller's cheques in years. They can be quite difficult to cash internationally and it is much easier to just use a debit card or credit card.

They're recommend for Vegas, only reason I'm into them.

lmroyea
05-26-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd be interested. I don't really use travelers cheques on vacation, but I would just deposit to my savings account. They're as good as cash at the credit union I work at, so I think it would be a good idea. I love saving for fun stuff, but it would be nice to have some actual money for regular stuff too, like gas! $$$$$$$!

m 'n c
05-26-2008, 06:28 PM
My dad had a horrible time trying to cash them overseas last month. I just stick with plastic because I'm not sure how easy they are to use now-a-days.

lmroyea
05-26-2008, 06:46 PM
My dad had a horrible time trying to cash them overseas last month. I just stick with plastic because I'm not sure how easy they are to use now-a-days.

I hear that a lot. Unfortunately there is so much fraud out there these days, many places don't trust them. When I have people coming in buying large amounts, I always let them know that they may have trouble actually using them. Most are greatful for the advice, and reduce their $amount. But I think they would be a great cash out option if you were just planning on depositing in a savings. That way it wouldn't matter if the bank held them, or verified them.

jgates8
05-26-2008, 10:56 PM
I would be very surprised if this happened. Actually many of the companies are doing away with 'paper' travelers checks and going to a stored plastic card instead. Once our stock at work for paper is gone - it is GONE. We will only have the plastic cards. They are expensive initially and then each time you 'load' funds on it, there is another fee. So the actual paper travelers check is becoming a dinosaur with many of the common t.c. companies. I did see AAA still offering them though. Another problem with those is that the 'purchaser' signature line on most is supposed to be signed at the time of purchase. Obviously that cannot happen in this type of a situation.

Hedy
05-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I'm generally not a fan (had a mediocre experience with them when I lived in Mexico), but they're apparently good for Vegas because you don't get reamed out the hiney in ATM fees and you're not carrying loads of cash.

speechteachri
05-27-2008, 06:50 AM
We usually do buy a small amount, like 1/3 of our cash in travellers cheques from AAA when we go away. But we do not travel overseas. W never have trouble cashing them when we travel, although some cashiers need reminders about what to do. I like them because they offer a little bit more protection than cash, without the interest. I probably would stick with giftcards as cashout here though, personally, since I can get the TC at AAA for no fee.

arob414
06-02-2008, 02:58 AM
I used them, this past wk, because I am very juvenile and need to see the "money" to contain my spending. I use plastic (debit/credit) all the time in my every day life but I enter it into my check book and know what I am spending. On vacation, things get too hectic and I can control our spending easier. However, we haven't travelled overseas, yet. At any rate, I had no trouble with them in WDW. And, I used the heck out of them.