PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my dates for WDW!!

pbhall13
06-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Okay gang.........I am planning a trip for November (this is our typical time for going).......ex says he wants to go again and who am I to say no to WDW and when he pays all the expenses for one child!!!

My dilemna is which dates to choose. I am trying to work around the school schedule a bit. I always book it on a week that I know they have at least one day off.

The two weeks I am debating about:

First week of November. My dd8's birthday is Nov. 1 (sat) so we could leave on that day and make it even more special by arriving there that day. OR I was also contemplating flying out the afternoon before (Halloween).....we would get to our hotel by 7 and I would let the kids wear their costumes on the plane. I had been thinking about a costume party for dd8's birthday anyway so I am thinking they may be okay with not 'walking' around the neighborhood this year and starting off our trip that day at WDW.

A wrench in this one is that it will be bumping into what is refered to as Jersey Week at Disney. (NJ schools tend to have teacher conferences for 2 days and with NOv 4 being election day...most parents make this week into a vacation week since kids don't miss out on too much school)

I have been there many times during Jersey week....and it hasn't bee too much of a problem.......now that being said it has become more crowded over the years.

Next time frame thinking is Nov. 7 - Nov. 14:

Great since we have no school on 11/11 and one day is an early release, but flights get higher due to long weekend at the beginning of our trip. I also think we might just be sqeaking in for the food and wine festival (we missed it last year, so would be nice to go again)

I think I am panicking more about the airfare for this trip timeframe. Should I just suck it up and take this week (especially since I will only be taking care of 2 airfares instead of the 3 I usually pay for?)

I am all set with the meal plan since I am only a few dollars away from the mark here on SR (it will be payed for!) and I am pretty sure I am purchasing DVC so I can at least count on a discount for AP's (extra money I make on SR is going to help with paying for one childs)

Okay I have babbled on...........give me your advice........it is also killing me that they don't have the hours posted yet for Nov park hours!!

Thanks, Pamela

bbangel
06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I vote for the first week. Cheaper airfare trumps possible crowds and both weeks are likely to be similar in crowd level anyway.

The leaving on Halloween bit is trickier. I don't know how into the trick or treat thing your kids are. I would rather have missed that to be in Disney but maybe that is just me :)

pbhall13
06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I vote for the first week. Cheaper airfare trumps possible crowds and both weeks are likely to be similar in crowd level anyway.

The leaving on Halloween bit is trickier. I don't know how into the trick or treat thing your kids are. I would rather have missed that to be in Disney but maybe that is just me :)

I think you might be correct about the crowd level.....my girls are into Halloween, BUT like I said if we do a costume party the weekend before for my dd8 (dd9 as of Nov 1) and they have all kinds of school stuff that they dress up for I may be able to convince them to fly that day AND I will let them fly in whatever costume they want! That could be a good selling point....and we would be at our hotel before 7 so they could trick or treat at the hotel area (I know that they usually give out candy to the kids at the resort)

Thanks for input!

bbangel
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Doesn't Downtown Disney do something for Halloween as well - basically let kids trick or treat at the stores?

wilsonfamily4
06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I too vote for the first week. I think that sounds like a good memory maker, halloween at WDW.

fourfoxesinpa
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
What about the week after Thanksgiving? Do your kids have off Monday? That's the week we always do the parks or cruise. Off 4 days and the crowds have left. It's really empty AND you can see the Christmas decorations.

askomsky
06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I say the first week, being near Jersey and knowing how the poor economy is effecting this tri state area, I'm guessing the crowds can't be all that bad, and airfare is cheaper.

Remember last year how you and I overlapped a little? I won't go that late again. Well I won't go near Turkey day. I told DH I would rather go election week or the week after. Less crowds and Pam man I thought we had it made! That Friday (after we were both at the MVMCP) was awesome!!! The longest we waiting for a ride was 10 mins! I was trying to kept DS from missing to much school, but not again! If were spending that money to go down, 1 day isn't really going to make a difference. That said I want it done next year before he hits middle school where I do think it'll be a bigger difference.

chipndale
06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I would go the first week also. Cheaper airfare is my reason esp if the crowd levels will be the same. It will give you more money to spend there. I know my dd6 would have no problems not walking around the neighborhood if she could go to Disney.

OhMari
06-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm going Nov. 7-15. Nov. , 7, 8 &9 has the Festival of the Arts at DTD. Food and Wine Festival ends Nov. 9. Mickey's Christmas Festival at the MK starts Nov. 10.

Lots going on. I'm just waiting for the stupid hours to come out. I just want to see the Osbourne Lights. Someone posted a rumor that they won't turn them on till after Thanksgiving to conserve energy. Someone else said they turn on the same time as Mickey's Christmas Party.

The first week in Nov. is Jersey week. SuperSoap weekend is also NOv. 16/17.

pbhall13
06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Talked to my girls today about leaving on Halloween and they both did not have a problem with that.........and right now going down I can get jetblue for $114 (great price for them and the times I want...plus tv for kids). Talked to ex and he also likes the idea of first week. Sydney is super excited to actually be there on her birthday (nov. 1)....we usually get there a few days after so she is thrilled......I told her she can pick where she wants to eat on Saturday. The more I think about the dates, the more I want the first week.

As for trying after Thanksgiving....no we don't have the Monday off......and I hate chancing not having warmer weather! (also have to worry about early snow in New England and cancelation of flights)

I think I am going to book flight down tonight or tomorrow am..........I may wait for return....maybe do SW for a cheaper flight (although ex says he would rather Jetblue and again if I am only paying for myself and one child I don't mind if I don't get a complete steal on return...plus I know that the days of getting great deals are gone....damn gas prices!)

NOW I am getting excited!!!!!!!!!

pbhall13
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
okay dates are picked and TODAY I booked our flights.....YEAH!!!!!

We are going October 31 - November 7th.......very happy........girls are thrilled............I did book the first 2 nights at Poly (my 40th birthday treat to myself........hey I deserve it!!) Hoping that a discount code comes out...but I wanted to make sure that I had a room for the first 2 nights there. I think we will then move over to OKW. Our family loves it there and I figure it is usually the one DVC resort that always tends to have openings (although we would love it if by chance there is an opening at Animal Kingdom Villas...longshot I am sure)

I now have to make our ADR's. I do have one for Kona on Saturday night (Sydney's 9th birthday........it is her favorite...shhh don't tell her it is a surprise!)

I do want to book Tepan Edo, Bomas, 1900 Park Fare dinner, and somewhere for a breakfast, but I am not sure where? Any suggestions????

Let the rest of the planning begin!!!!

Pamela

linanglab
06-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Yeah! I love booking flights! To me that makes it super official! I like the week you chose too! You are going to have a great time. And to stay at the Poly for a couple of nights...ooooo....that is my dream! That is definitely a great birthday gift to yourself! What an awesome time. Your girls will love wearing their costumes on the plane. What a memory this will be for them!

Enjoy your planning!

Sunni
06-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Yeah Pam! How exciting ....dates and flights! Birthdays surprises....shhh.
I can't wait to hear what else you plan.

pbhall13
06-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks ladies for sharing in the excitement...........I think I am also going to join Tour Guide Mike this time just in case....always good to have a little help and it is relatively inexpensive.

I'll keep you posted!

schaery
06-13-2008, 04:16 PM
okay dates are picked and TODAY I booked our flights.....YEAH!!!!!

We are going October 31 - November 7th.......very happy........girls are thrilled............I did book the first 2 nights at Poly (my 40th birthday treat to myself........hey I deserve it!!) Hoping that a discount code comes out...but I wanted to make sure that I had a room for the first 2 nights there. I think we will then move over to OKW. Our family loves it there and I figure it is usually the one DVC resort that always tends to have openings (although we would love it if by chance there is an opening at Animal Kingdom Villas...longshot I am sure)

I now have to make our ADR's. I do have one for Kona on Saturday night (Sydney's 9th birthday........it is her favorite...shhh don't tell her it is a surprise!)

I do want to book Tepan Edo, Bomas, 1900 Park Fare dinner, and somewhere for a breakfast, but I am not sure where? Any suggestions????

Let the rest of the planning begin!!!!

Pamela

Boma's has a wonderful breakfast at AKL as well as Kona. Also, if this year is like the past, there will most likely be a discount that comes out in August so watch for that. If you have a Disney Visa, you'll get a few days notice over the general public if they have your email address.

linanglab
06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
I really like TGM. I love reading about WDW, and all the goings on about it. It is a great help, and a great way to stay excited about your trip! My favorite part is the hours (EMH's, etc.) which is a great help, especially during busy time, like when we go.

He also discusses all the restaurants and rides. It is fun looking through all of that. And it is a help for me because we are not by any means pros when it comes to restaurnats at WDW.

Pooh's Pal
06-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah Pam..that's awesome, did you get OKW already, cause if not pm me!
flying JB? Oh, the Poly, love the Poly. I'm doing BC for two nights now on my December trip then moving to the BWV's. can't wait either! ;)

pbhall13
06-26-2008, 10:05 PM
okay been trying to play catch up with getting things booked for this trip.

I did purchase Tour Guide Mike (yes Angela I agree it is nice having all the information to read.....actually a bit overwhelming, but lots of info...and I have been to disney over 20 times!)

Just got off the phone with disney dining...this is what I have so far:

11/1 Kona (breakfast...sydney's pick for her birthday)
11/2 LTT (dinner)
11/3 Coral Reef (dinner) 1st time here!
11/4 Mama Melrose Fantasmic dinner
11/5 nothing yet!
11/6 Tepan Edo (lunch)
11/7 open....usually just counter service our last day

I still may have to tweek this....most are definates, but mama melrose may change (not my favorite, but like the idea of fantasmic package so don't have to wait in line for that show...girls haven't been to show in years!)

Any suggestions???????

Thanks, pamela

mjjmbnmm
06-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I saw it was your daughters birthday. At the coral reef they have a diver that will hold up a birthday sign and they also will do a personal menu. We did this for my dd9 birthday in Dec, she was so surprised, and is still talking about it.

pbhall13
06-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I saw it was your daughters birthday. At the coral reef they have a diver that will hold up a birthday sign and they also will do a personal menu. We did this for my dd9 birthday in Dec, she was so surprised, and is still talking about it.

I have the phone number to call.........going to do that tomorrow....Sydney will love it if we can pull it off!!!

pamela

mjjmbnmm
06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
I have the phone number to call.........going to do that tomorrow....Sydney will love it if we can pull it off!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a hard secret to keep.

pbhall13
06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
okay I left a message with the women who books seats at the tank.....hope to hear back from her soon.......I will give it a few days since we are coming up on a weekend and then next week is 4th of july.

Fingers crossed that we can get a seat at the tank!!!

Pamela

pbhall13
08-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Well today I got a coveted pin code in an email......so I quickly called the number and after being place on hold a million times and finally transfered to someone who could really help me.......I was able to save over $250 on my Polynesian part of trip! I am soooo happy....I was hoping for a general code and knew that those can book up quickly, so now that I have my discount in place I am thrilled

Plus I also have the plans in place for coral reef (just have to remember to email pictures to woman in charge for the menus...add that to my list of things to do)

and I think I may order park tickets tonight....since they are upping prices tomorrow am.

Also have a photopass in place........I love doing those.....I go crazy with the photopass people..........and then to know it is only going to cost me $20 for all those pictures....thrills me! :banana::banana:

pamela

schaery
08-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Also have a photopass in place........I love doing those.....I go crazy with the photopass people..........and then to know it is only going to cost me $20 for all those pictures....thrills me! :banana::banana:

pamela

Okay, I bought the photopass cd for $99 last year. How do you get photopass pics for $20?

mirandag819
08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Okay, I bought the photopass cd for $99 last year. How do you get photopass pics for $20?

I am wondering the same thing ! Pam must have top secret info

Pooh's Pal
08-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Awesome job on the pin code Pam!

I got the photopass thing too..love that price. shhhhhhhhhhhh!
Don't ya just love TGM site...

pbhall13
08-02-2008, 10:19 PM

I am wondering the same thing ! Pam must have top secret info

I found out about doing a photoshre on the DIS. It is the best thing ever.

You need to find or form a photopass share (you want to make sure that people are traveling in similar time frame. ex: month of November) Once a group leader takes charge you then find the 'others'. Most shares will have 5 to 7 participants...so that makes the final prices. My new group (I formed one thru Tour Guide Mike ) will have 8 participants so between the photopass price, tax, blank CD's and shipping my cost will be actuall under $20 a person.

The key to it running smoothly is a group leader. That person organizes 'others', sets up an account with disney photo and password only for 'the group'.

Go on your trip and start having photopass people take your pictures. I go crazy with this.....I am constantly having them take our picture!! I have even found new spots that I didn't know they took pictures.

Once you return from trip you log into set up account and put in the numbers from you photopass card (or cards) and you can start editing yours. Once everyone in group has done this (and it needs to happen within 30 days of the first time you uploaded a photopass card) the Team Leader will order the photopass cd (or course all the participants have already sent money to the leader) once Leader rec'v back cd from disney they will then burn the others cds and send them off to you .

Now some people find it funny that you get a few pictures from some of the other familys that were part fo the group.....me i don't mind. I can handle having a few pictures of others on my Disney CD for under $20 bucks

Hope this helps........I would do a search on the DIS (budget board).

I love my bargains!

pbhall13
08-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Awesome job on the pin code Pam!

I got the photopass thing too..love that price. shhhhhhhhhhhh!
Don't ya just love TGM site...

Why thank you DEb. I actually learned about photopass share on the DIS and then someone told me to try TGM for a group (and since I already had a membership to TGM...I just did a search)

Did you figure out where you are going to your dd's friends bday dinner?

Pamela

schaery
08-02-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh, yeah. I remember now reading about the photo cd sharing last year. Thanks.

Sunni
08-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Wow Pam! Sounds like everything is falling in place. When I go ...i am going to call you for planning. Great Job!

linanglab
08-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Congrats on that code! Someday maybe I will receive a code for the timeframe that I am going. Sounds like everything is falling into place for you! You have got to be getting quite excited!

pbhall13
10-20-2008, 10:31 PM
okay the countdown is one...........we are under 2 weeks!!!! and my flight prices on jetblue have gone down so now I have a credit of $180 that I plan to use for the WDW SR meet we are hopping to put together in Oct 2009!

That should take care of the bulk of my flight!!!!!

Pooh's Pal
10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
okay the countdown is one...........we are under 2 weeks!!!! and my flight prices on jetblue have gone down so now I have a credit of $180 that I plan to use for the WDW SR meet we are hopping to put together in Oct 2009!

That should take care of the bulk of my flight!!!!!
You'll be doing the single digit dance before you know it! :banana:

Congrats on the JB credit...I've been watching my December flights like a hawk...with 3 tickets every little refund helps and adds up quickly! Two tickets out of BOS have done nothing but go up and up....the one ticket from White Plains, NY (my DD's college roommate) has gone down 40.00...And YES, it's a great starter for next October!

pbhall13
10-20-2008, 10:43 PM
You'll be doing the single digit dance before you know it! :banana:

Congrats on the JB credit...I've been watching my December flights like a hawk...with 3 tickets every little refund helps and adds up quickly! Two tickets out of BOS have done nothing but go up and up....the one ticket from White Plains, NY (my DD's college roommate) has gone down 40.00...And YES, it's a great starter for next October!

yeah glad you have been able to get something on at least one of the tickets.......

our flight to orlando went down last wednesday and the one coming home just went down tonight.....happy happy happy! Just keep your eye on it!!