PDA

View Full Version : Should Obama choose Hillary as his VP?

missymouse
06-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Do you think Obama should choose Hillary Clinton to be his running mate for the VP?

Yes
No
Maybe

missymouse
06-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't think he should because I think Hillary wants the position because she thinks it is a back door into the presidency. Several times she has brought up the possibility of assassination. If she were VP and Obama were assassinated she would become president.

fourfoxesinpa
06-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Cabinet member, definitely. VP, no. I think it would be extremely difficult for her to be satisfied in a second place seat and her husband could be very distracting day-to-day. I must say that, although I am happy she has made strides for women in politics, I am disappointed that she hasn't gracefully bowed out. She is not accepting the party rules about how a candidate is nominated and won't accept the fact that Sen. Obama has won - he has reached the magic number of delegates and that is how a candidate is nominated. She should ask Al Gore about winning the popular vote vs. electoral college. :eek: I feel it's It's time for her to concede.

sunshinecindy
06-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Yes, I think he should, because without her, he won't get the presidency, and we have to get back in the Whitehouse. Also, she has a lot of great ideas that just maybe she can convince him to see her side. She has a lot more experience here and that could help him. Also, 8 years in office for him, and then 8 for her, heck, by then I'll be dead and the country will finally be back to where it was. They have a lot of common goals, just different ways to get there, and I think if you combine their intelligence, you have a great team.

I'm still disappointed in our country that they are so gender discriminatory. I think a lot of women are catty and feel threatened by her and a lot of men just don't think a women should be running this country, and that is why she didn't make it.I'm not talking about the people in this forum because all of you are educated, intelligent people, but the podunks aren't and we all hate to imagine people are still so backward, but they are. Believe me, I have inlaws in Southern Illinois....people are still backwards. LOL

lanny76
06-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't think Hillary is so evil-minded or classless that she is thinking of Obama getting assassinated. The RFK mention was more of a thing where she meant to point out how primaries have been going on later in June and so on. It was rather a graceless comment - but I think Hillary is too smart to deliberately have made a comment with the intention of bringing up Obama's potential assassination. It is something that has been blown out of proportion, I think. Nor do I really think she is trying to back into the presidency; she would rather win straight out in an election, is my feeling.
People think she should have bowed out long ago - but it was her right to stay as long as she thot she had a fighting chance. I don't really think Obama would have conceded had the situation been reversed. They both very badly wanted the nomination.
I don't know that she would really be very happy with the VP - but if she did spend four years as a VP and did well, that would help squelch some of the talk about how she didn't really have experience or couldn't handle the presidency. She certainly does have her eye on 2012 - she isn't going to go away and let herself be forgotten.
With her, maybe Obama does have a better chance at gathering more voters - esp. Hillary backers who are displeased with how things have gone for her in the election season. And yes, I think too that she has faced some gender discrimination - I can't quite fathom some of the vitriol I've seen directed at her, name-calling etc. Also there do seem to be lots of doubts that a woman could really be a good president - my 90 yr old neighbor lady told me that the presidency is a man's job. Well, not necessarily!!

kimntrent
06-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I think that he would be stronger if he did but I think John Edwards is a much better fit.

mirandag819
06-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I honestly don't think she wants it. I really think she would prefer McCain won, so she could run against him in 2012.

spring
06-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I personally think that if Obama chooses Hillary, he will win, hands down. If he doesn't go with her, he will probably have a tougher contest to win the Presidency. I also think that John Edwards would be a good choice for VP, but he doesn't have the following that Hillary does.

missymouse
06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
If Obama chooses Hillary there is no chance what so ever I would even consider voting for them. I do not like Hillary or Bill never have and never will. Do not like the idea of socialized medicine which Hillary supports. And my dislike of her has nothing to do with thinking a woman can't be president or vice president.

If Obama chooses John Edwards or someone similar I would have to carefully consider voting for him. I don't like everything I hear about him and his stands and I really don't like his minister.

I really don't want McCain since he is a strong supporter of free trade, outsourcing of american jobs, and hiring of H1B workers. My DH was laid off and companies who were recruiting actually admitted to him that they were just running ads to show that there were no skilled american workers so they could hire foreign nationals under the H1B visa program. He was qualified for every one of those jobs but they wouldn't even talk to him.

gpp2001
06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
If Obama chooses Hillary there is no chance what so ever I would even consider voting for them. I do not like Hillary or Bill never have and never will. Do not like the idea of socialized medicine which Hillary supports. And my dislike of her has nothing to do with thinking a woman can't be president or vice president.

If Obama chooses John Edwards or someone similar I would have to carefully consider voting for him. I don't like everything I hear about him and his stands and I really don't like his minister.

I really don't want McCain since he is a strong supporter of free trade, outsourcing of american jobs, and hiring of H1B workers. My DH was laid off and companies who were recruiting actually admitted to him that they were just running ads to show that there were no skilled american workers so they could hire foreign nationals under the H1B visa program. He was qualified for every one of those jobs but they wouldn't even talk to him.

I was just coming into post that I don't think Hillary deserves the VP position - especially now that she is basically blackmailing Obama.

But then I saw this post and I'm sorry but it makes me mad when anybody brings up Obama and his minister but nobody seems to realize that McCain has his own minister problems - look up John Hage - he is a minister for some religious group(sorry I don't know which group it is) who McCain sought out his endorsement - Hage has made comments about Catholics and Jews that, in my opinion are much worse than anything Reverend Wright has said! McCain has since rejected what Hage has said but not nearly as quickly as Obama did when the Wright controversy was aired.

I think that there is a lot of sound bites out there for all candidates and we should all (me included) listen to the whole story not just the sound bites.

lanny76
06-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I was just coming into post that I don't think Hillary deserves the VP position - especially now that she is basically blackmailing Obama.

But then I saw this post and I'm sorry but it makes me mad when anybody brings up Obama and his minister but nobody seems to realize that McCain has his own minister problems - look up John Hage - he is a minister for some religious group(sorry I don't know which group it is) who McCain sought out his endorsement - Hage has made comments about Catholics and Jews that, in my opinion are much worse than anything Reverend Wright has said! McCain has since rejected what Hage has said but not nearly as quickly as Obama did when the Wright controversy was aired.

I think that there is a lot of sound bites out there for all candidates and we should all (me included) listen to the whole story not just the sound bites.

Yes, this minister has said some wacky things too, and it is an embarrassment to McCain to have had his endorsement. However, as McCain said, he didn't go to this man's church for 20 years and sit under the sound of preaching on a regular basis. Not as big a deal was made either about the Catholic minister - Obama had to quickly repudiate Mr Wright in order to quench a firestorm and save his nomination chances. It is to his credit that he has at last resigned from that church. IMHO, neither minister said things that were very becoming to a man who is supposed to be a spiritual, godly leader.
And yes, sound bites have featured a little too prominently in this election season. It is hard to find the whole story unless you look a little deeper.

fourfoxesinpa
06-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Yes, this minister has said some wacky things too, and it is an embarrassment to McCain to have had his endorsement. However, as McCain said, he didn't go to this man's church for 20 years and sit under the sound of preaching on a regular basis. Not as big a deal was made either about the Catholic minister - Obama had to quickly repudiate Mr Wright in order to quench a firestorm and save his nomination chances. It is to his credit that he has at last resigned from that church. IMHO, neither minister said things that were very becoming to a man who is supposed to be a spiritual, godly leader.
And yes, sound bites have featured a little too prominently in this election season. It is hard to find the whole story unless you look a little deeper.

Today is the official start of a lot of nitpicking that will go on and I predict this campaign will get ug-leeee. I hope Obama keeps taking the high road that he has all during the primary. He ran a very respectable race and, in my opinion, showed a lot of class. McCain's first speech after Obama clinched the nomination last night was all negative. I would have much rather seen a "I look forward to debating the issues with Sen. Obama so the country can decide who they feel is best suited for this job." Instead of a "I am better for this job because...." speech, it was a "he is not suited for this job because..."

I really don't have time to pay attention to details like the flag pin, preachers, candidate's marital histories, etc. They are so minor compared to other issues that I consider urgent: the price I am going to pay for the 1,200 gallons of heating oil next winter, the $4 a gallon gasoline, getting foreign countries to respect and trust us again, how to get our brave soldiers home safe and sound and fixing our schools to get rid of this dang No Child Gets Ahead law. These are the things that matter to me. And, after reading both candidate's plans, I believe my views are more aligned with those of Barack Obama.

missymouse
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM

I didn't say I wouldn't vote for Obama because of the minister. I just said I don't like the minister. I really honestly don't know that much about Obama yet because I can't vote in the democratic primary and figured I would wait until the nominee was determined. I already knew that if it was Hillary I would not vote for her because I know I don't agree with many of her ideas.

But since you brought it up did McCain attend this Hagee's church, have a 20 year relationship with him or refer to him as his "spiritual mentor" or just seek his endorsement. To me there is a difference.

I honestly think the American people got this election wrong. I wish it would have been Romney vs. Edwards, but that is just my own opinion which probably isn't worth much.

sunshinecindy
06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Personally, I think we've missed the boat not electing Hillary. People say shes a biatch cause she stands hard, but when a man does, hes strong and patriotic and can handle everything.
People say Bill will be running the white house again...first off, compared to the economics today, that was a lot better, but besides that, I've not seen too many men running any houses, including my own.
People say her health program isn't very good...well, I for one would have been at the dr a long time ago if this country had decent health care, and from what I know about England, their socialized medicine puts ours to shame.

I don't much about McCain and Obama, guess I'm going to have to learn. But, I can tell you, we can't take much of the country under the Republican rule IF he is like Bush. I'm tired of the "slowdown", I'm tired of our boys getting killed everyday, and I'm tired of having to talk to someone in a different country everytime I call a consumer care line. I'm tired of pushing one for English, and my warranty books are all the size of War and Peace because they are in 35 different languages, and I'm tired of chosing everyday between putting food on the table and gas in the car because I can't afford both. Call me crazy, but something needs to be done....now.

sunshinecindy
06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Today is the official start of a lot of nitpicking that will go on and I predict this campaign will get ug-leeee. I hope Obama keeps taking the high road that he has all during the primary. He ran a very respectable race and, in my opinion, showed a lot of class. McCain's first speech after Obama clinched the nomination last night was all negative. I would have much rather seen a "I look forward to debating the issues with Sen. Obama so the country can decide who they feel is best suited for this job." Instead of a "I am better for this job because...." speech, it was a "he is not suited for this job because..."

I really don't have time to pay attention to details like the flag pin, preachers, candidate's marital histories, etc. They are so minor compared to other issues that I consider urgent: the price I am going to pay for the 1,200 gallons of heating oil next winter, the $4 a gallon gasoline, getting foreign countries to respect and trust us again, how to get our brave soldiers home safe and sound and fixing our schools to get rid of this dang No Child Gets Ahead law. These are the things that matter to me. And, after reading both candidate's plans, I believe my views are more aligned with those of Barack Obama.

I have to agree with almost everything you have said here, but I want to point out, the reference to the candidate with marital indiscretions because it seems to have buried Bill (and maybe Hillary) when he was in the White House (like so many other presidents did but the news was not allowed to report on) by the Republicans, so, should the Democrats turn a blind eye to McCains marital indiscretions just because he wasn't in the White House at the time or do they crucify him like Bill was? Do we say ok, he owned up to it so hes forgiven? Does it make him any less desirable as a president? Just a question, cause personally, I couldn't care less what any of them do in bed, or who with or without.

missymouse
06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
People say her health program isn't very good...well, I for one would have been at the dr a long time ago if this country had decent health care, and from what I know about England, their socialized medicine puts ours to shame.

I don't know if it has changed recently but when my brother and SIL were living in England they HATED the Socialized medicine. My SIL has a history of rather complicated pregnancies and 11 lb. plus babies. She was living in England for baby #3 and all she would be allowed under the socialized medicine system was a midwife. She opted to pay out of pocket for a OB/GYN to follow her pregnancy and deliver the 11.5 lb. baby. My other brother is a Orthopedic surgeon who did an externship in England and he wasn't impressed either with the socialized system of medicine. I think the US has decent health care, just not decent insurance for those who can't get insurance through their employers or can't afford their own.

fourfoxesinpa
06-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I have to agree with almost everything you have said here, but I want to point out, the reference to the candidate with marital indiscretions because it seems to have buried Bill (and maybe Hillary) when he was in the White House (like so many other presidents did but the news was not allowed to report on) by the Republicans, so, should the Democrats turn a blind eye to McCains marital indiscretions just because he wasn't in the White House at the time or do they crucify him like Bill was? Do we say ok, he owned up to it so hes forgiven? Does it make him any less desirable as a president? Just a question, cause personally, I couldn't care less what any of them do in bed, or who with or without.

Yes it sure did get Bill into a whole heap o'trouble. And what's good for the goose should be good for the gander, but, something that happened that long ago will probably be called irrelevant by the GOP. Maybe they'll blame it all on the fact that homosexuals want to get married and have threatened their marriages. :angel: I'm like you, I don't really give a hoot what Bill or John or anyone does behind closed doors. Ahhhhhh...."family values,"....she says sarcastically.

I just wish they'd focus on real issues. A few weeks ago, our PA senator, Arlen Specter, proposed hearings to find out if New England Patriots coaches were cheating on the sidelines. :eek: I wrote to him and told him his time would be better spent reinstating the tax credits for installation of energy efficient appliances and home improvements. I mean, do they have nothing better to do in DC?!?!?!

askomsky
06-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I've just been reading everyone's responses. We're going to need to agree to disagree.

What I do have to agree with is Jamie's point. I could give a rat's a$$ who screwed who, where they went to church yada, yada yada.

What I do care about is how much I have to pay for gas. More importantly
last August we paid $2.37 a gallon for home heating oil. We just got a letter (and I called around to get quotes) from our oil company. They bought half mil of gallons and if we want to be guarenteed some oil for next winter (all places around here are doing it) we have to pay a .35 ins prem cap to protect however many gallons we want. What it does insure us is that we won't pay over the $4.37 a gallon...... YES $2 MORE A GALLON then 8 months ago, and if it goes lower we'll get that price. Stimulus check? Heck that's now not even enough to heat our home next year!!!!! DH and I tossed this around for 3 days straight, played with the numbers every which way and decided to at least take half of what we would normally use just in case. Worse comes to worse and it lowers again by Aug back down the $2 a gallon it was we end up paying .35 more per gallon for what we bought.

Ok now that I'm off my rant, what I want to know is what do McCain and Obama plan on doing to help these issues? In our local paper they just ran an article on how local business both small and big are cutting staff to save costs, well first I don't want to see anyone lose their job in these bad times, but now the care of any good service whether it's groceries or whatever has just been lowered.

PS The only positive thing I'll point out about McCain is most Repbulican's call him the most Democratic Republican that you'll ever meet.

fourfoxesinpa
06-04-2008, 07:06 PM
We just got a letter (and I called around to get quotes) from our oil company. They bought half mil of gallons and if we want to be guarenteed some oil for next winter (all places around here are doing it) we have to pay a .35 ins prem cap to protect however many gallons we want. What it does insure us is that we won't pay over the $4.37 a gallon...... YES $2 MORE A GALLON then 8 months ago, and if it goes lower we'll get that price.

Oh April - I feel like I'm going to throw up. We have a big ol' Victorian (1894) that sucks up 1,200 gallons a year. We did just put in 10 brand new windows two weeks ago and are getting 10 more at the end of July. But, we have a total of 53 drafty, 6' tall x 3' wide windows and there's not enough $ to get them all done at once. Getting some new windows will help but I don't know how much. We lock in with our oil company but did not get our letter yet. If it goes lower, we get the lower price but that has never happened.

How in Sam-Hill will people afford to heat their homes this year?!?! I think of the people on fixed incomes - seniors, those with disabilities, single parent homes and it is horrible, just horrible. Already trying to find extra $ to put gas in the tank to get to work and food on the table.

I guess it's official. This thread has been totally hijacked. Sorry Hill.

askomsky
06-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Oh April - I feel like I'm going to throw up. We have a big ol' Victorian (1894) that sucks up 1,200 gallons a year. We did just put in 10 brand new windows two weeks ago and are getting 10 more at the end of July. But, we have a total of 53 drafty, 6' tall x 3' wide windows and there's not enough $ to get them all done at once. Getting some new windows will help but I don't know how much. We lock in with our oil company but did not get our letter yet. If it goes lower, we get the lower price but that has never happened.

How in Sam-Hill will people afford to heat their homes this year?!?! I think of the people on fixed incomes - seniors, those with disabilities, single parent homes and it is horrible, just horrible. Already trying to find extra $ to put gas in the tank to get to work and food on the table.

I guess it's official. This thread has been totally hijacked. Sorry Hill.

LIke my grandfather who thankfully got a delivery free last year through some grant and keeps it cool now that my gram is gone. Thankfully he has some put away but yeah it's just ridiculous!

sunshinecindy
06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Ya, have any of you really heard any of the candidates say what they are going to do about the oil prices. Maybe its must me, but I haven't.

And yes, we all do have to agree to disagree, because if we all thought the same, there wouldn't be any need for an election. And, if everyone here just settled for whatever was handed to them politically, we'd be back in the 1800's, so, we can all have opinions, we all have options, we can all voice our opinions, and maybe it'll shed some light on questions we do have, or maybe even change a mind or two.

Aso for the question on the socialized medicine, I am only going by what three people have told me. One was girlfriend visiting her Dh family in England, she became very ill, went to the dr, he treated her well, didn't cost her one penny. Another is some idiot guy (ok, hes married to my mom) who lived in England, and even he raved about their health care system costs compared to ours, and the third was a little British lady I worked with, called her Mrs Doubtfire, would get her so mad, anyway, she said the health system for her elderly parents was much better then what they could receive here, which is why they didn't come over but instead, stayed in England though she lived here. Personally, I've never been to England or experienced their health care, so, maybe its different and some things are good about it and some bad. I just know my premiums doubled last month for my insurance and they won't cover a thing with my foot, which BTW, has swollen again and hurts like heck.

fourfoxesinpa
06-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Ya, have any of you really heard any of the candidates say what they are going to do about the oil prices. Maybe its must me, but I haven't.

I doubt any one of them wants to make a promise that they can fix it because it's so complicated and won't get fixed overnight. But, if it helps, here are some points that explains Obama's position on energy issues. http://www.barackobama.com/issues/energy/

[/QUOTE]I just know my premiums doubled last month for my insurance and they won't cover a thing with my foot, which BTW, has swollen again and hurts like heck.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry your foot isn't getting better and dang gone insurance won't cover it. :mad: That looked so darn sore!

missymouse
06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Cindy I think it is terrible that your insurance won't cover your foot. What is their reasoning? I think it is the insurance companies that need to be reformed not the medical system. The doctors are held hostage to the insurance companies. My brother complains all the time, but then again he is the type that if someone doesn't have insurance or can't pay he fixes them pro bono. So if you want to take a trip to Arkansas I am sure I could get him to fix you up. He is also the type that if you don't need something done he doesn't do it just to generate income. All around a very ethical guy. He quit his last practice when they instituted a quota for surgeries per month. It goes both ways many doctors order unnecessary procedures and tests just to tell you there is nothing wrong with you.

Like someone else said there is no quick fix for any of the issues facing the nation today.

sunshinecindy
06-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I doubt any one of them wants to make a promise that they can fix it because it's so complicated and won't get fixed overnight. But, if it helps, here are some points that explains Obama's position on energy issues. http://www.barackobama.com/issues/energy/

I just know my premiums doubled last month for my insurance and they won't cover a thing with my foot, which BTW, has swollen again and hurts like heck.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry your foot isn't getting better and dang gone insurance won't cover it. :mad: That looked so darn sore![/QUOTE]

It is sore, very sore.

Thanks for posting that URL, while I think he has some good ideas, those seem to take a long time. Wonder if he'd consider some of my fast acting solutions.

Pull Oil off the Stock Market
Break up the Oil companies from Owning the Coal companies
Make the Oil Companies uncap all those so called dryed up oil wells in Tx

Hmph, probably not. LOL

eaglesdare
06-05-2008, 08:12 AM
this is my opinion. but i do not like hilary, or bill. right now the only thing i know for sure, is that on a personal level i would never vote for either of them. if obama took hill as vp, he would never get my vote, not my consideration.

i despise clinton for the adulterous affair he had while in office. he was our commander in chief, he should have been held to a highter standard of conduct. if an enlisted person of the armed forces did what he did, they would have gotten into serious trouble, possible discharged from the service. seriously, nothing happened to clinton. if this conduct is allowed by our commander in chief then it should not be an issue for our military men and woman.

as far as hillary goes, i just can't stand the way she holds herself, i don't see any sign of sincerity with her at all. i see her as fake, i believe she has stayed with bill only because of political reasons to get the presidency. while i think bill has handled himself quite well in the public, i still do not see her as anything but a robot. i don't believe she wants any part of bill, but just keeps him around.

i am not an uneducated person, but yes one other reason i would not vote for her, is because she IS a woman. serving in the military and having to work for a woman i can say i would hate for a woman to be the president of the united states.

i know i am not alone on this thinking, i have spoken to lots of milary also. i think it would only hurt obama's chances.

sunshinecindy
06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
this is my opinion. but i do not like hilary, or bill. right now the only thing i know for sure, is that on a personal level i would never vote for either of them. if obama took hill as vp, he would never get my vote, not my consideration.

i despise clinton for the adulterous affair he had while in office. he was our commander in chief, he should have been held to a highter standard of conduct. if an enlisted person of the armed forces did what he did, they would have gotten into serious trouble, possible discharged from the service. seriously, nothing happened to clinton. if this conduct is allowed by our commander in chief then it should not be an issue for our military men and woman.

as far as hillary goes, i just can't stand the way she holds herself, i don't see any sign of sincerity with her at all. i see her as fake, i believe she has stayed with bill only because of political reasons to get the presidency. while i think bill has handled himself quite well in the public, i still do not see her as anything but a robot. i don't believe she wants any part of bill, but just keeps him around.

i am not an uneducated person, but yes one other reason i would not vote for her, is because she IS a woman. serving in the military and having to work for a woman i can say i would hate for a woman to be the president of the united states.

i know i am not alone on this thinking, i have spoken to lots of milary also. i think it would only hurt obama's chances.

!. Wow, do you despise JFK, Lyndon Johnson, Garfield, Cleveland, FDR and more and is it ok to have an affair before you take office instead? Do you think they were any less of a president because of it.

2.Over 60% of people stay married for their own personal reasons, i.e. kids, money, illnesses, security, religious beliefs. Does that make them wrong, or really, why do we really give a hoot why she is with Bill?

3. So, its ok for women in the military to be commanded by a man, but not ok for men in the military to be commanded by a women. Cover your ears Margaret Thatcher and Isabelle Peron and Queen Elizabeth and hundreds of other women who have succesfully run a country and commanded the military.

Personally, I'm more worried about the declining economics rather then if some guy in the military has his feelings hurt because a women is in command. My nephew was in the army for 20 years, just got out and believe me, he wasn't impressed with Bush, and neither was his entire command, but he NEVER uttered a word of that till he left the military out of respect for his Commander and Chief, and no matter who that is, that is how all of our military should be.

I could go on and on with my own feelings about this, but, its up to everyone to look for themselves and evaluate the candidates, keep an open mind, listen, and then chose who you think will best serve his country, without bias.

Ok, I'm done. LOL

SunshineGirl
06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
i am not an uneducated person, but yes one other reason i would not vote for her, is because she IS a woman.

Wow. I've stayed out of this thread because I don't really like to share my political views. But this just floors me. I take major offense to this as a woman who owns my own business and has employees working for me. This is a real slap in the face because I do my job damn well AS A WOMAN and would do any job that I choose well.

bajam
06-05-2008, 09:39 AM
I was taking Government when Clinton and Bush were running against each other. We had mock debates in the classroom. We broke into groups and debated each other. One of the groups brought up something and another group shot them down saying that it wasn't even an issue in this election. My teacher stopped the debate and told us that what issues you decide your vote on are up to you. He told us to always vote our convictions and our vote couldn't be wrong.

I always think of that lecture when it comes election time. My best friend is the complete, complete opposite of me when it comes to politics. We discuss the issues and our feelings, but I respect her choices because she has made up her mind how she decides her vote. We're still friends after 15 years so we must be doing something right.

sunshinecindy
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I was taking Government when Clinton and Bush were running against each other. We had mock debates in the classroom. We broke into groups and debated each other. One of the groups brought up something and another group shot them down saying that it wasn't even an issue in this election. My teacher stopped the debate and told us that what issues you decide your vote on are up to you. He told us to always vote our convictions and our vote couldn't be wrong.

I always think of that lecture when it comes election time. My best friend is the complete, complete opposite of me when it comes to politics. We discuss the issues and our feelings, but I respect her choices because she has made up her mind how she decides her vote. We're still friends after 15 years so we must be doing something right.

But really, does who someone sleeps with, why they stay married or what gender or race they are mean more then what their political views are or what they have accomplished so far for our country or their experience in our government. If we vote because of our prejudices, are we really being fair? You can be a squeaky clean person and screw over the public, so you are a good candidate? And, to lump ALL women as incompetent to run anything is surely a biased statement, and pretty unfair. I was an accomplished business owner for 20 years. I work for a women now, and let me tell you, shes a lot fairer then men I have worked for, and a lot more understanding and theres no sexual harassment like so many of the places I worked with men in charge. I think its time everyone in this country looks at us as equals.
Never underestimate the power of a women.

bajam
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I never said I thought those things, but everyone has the right to choose for themselves how they come to their vote decision. You have your "list" of things and you are true to them. I have mine. That's good. It's how it should be. More people would vote if they really thought about what was important to them.

I was just trying to try and let people see that everyone has their own way of coming to a decision. Everyone has different experiences that shape those decisions. That's all.

missymouse
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I never said I thought those things, but everyone has the right to choose for themselves how they come to their vote decision. You have your "list" of things and you are true to them. I have mine. That's good. It's how it should be. More people would vote if they really thought about what was important to them.

I was just trying to try and let people see that everyone has their own way of coming to a decision. Everyone has different experiences that shape those decisions. That's all.

I agree completely with this. Everyone has their "litmus test" that they use to determine who they think is the best candidate. For me I look at a person's stand on education, health, economy, welfare/social programs, social security, and partial birth abortions. DH looks at immigration (especially illegal), outsourcing of American jobs and companies to places like Mexico and India, H1B visas, environment, social security/retirement, free trade, terrorism, and a strong military. So as you can see we wouldn't necessarily agree because we have different issues that are most important to us.

I don't care about the candidates personal lives, what color they are, what sex they are as long as I agree with them about the things that I view as important. I don't know enough about Obama yet, but I do know that I do not agree with Hillary on many of these issues so therefore she in my opinion is not the right woman for the job. I would love to someday see a woman president but not Hillary. She changes her stances too much according to how the winds of public opinion blow, so then I must assume her true beliefs are the ones she espoused while Bill was president. It is sort of like someone who only tells you what you want to hear and everyone knows you can't be all things to all people. And McCain is a democrat in sheeps clothing posing as a republican.

sunshinecindy
06-05-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree completely with this. Everyone has their "litmus test" that they use to determine who they think is the best candidate. For me I look at a person's stand on education, health, economy, welfare/social programs, social security, and partial birth abortions. DH looks at immigration (especially illegal), outsourcing of American jobs and companies to places like Mexico and India, H1B visas, environment, social security/retirement, free trade, terrorism, and a strong military. So as you can see we wouldn't necessarily agree because we have different issues that are most important to us.

I don't care about the candidates personal lives, what color they are, what sex they are as long as I agree with them about the things that I view as important. I don't know enough about Obama yet, but I do know that I do not agree with Hillary on many of these issues so therefore she in my opinion is not the right woman for the job. I would love to someday see a woman president but not Hillary. She changes her stances too much according to how the winds of public opinion blow, so then I must assume her true beliefs are the ones she espoused while Bill was president. It is sort of like someone who only tells you what you want to hear and everyone knows you can't be all things to all people. And McCain is a democrat in sheeps clothing posing as a republican.

See, now that is what I think you should base your decision on....not "women shouldn't be running the country".

mia214jia
06-05-2008, 01:55 PM

I couldnt agree more. I know I was appaled :eek: when I heard John Hagee say what he did. And I cant belive McCain has not rebutted. Or atleast I have not heard a statement about it.
I dont care for Obama, Hillary or McCain. :( But I do agree something needs to be done.
Just my 2 cents :rotfl: