PDA

View Full Version : Carry-on only to Orlando?

Hedy
06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Has anyone ever done carryon only to Orlando? If you did, what did you do about sunscreen?

LuvMyBoys
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Has anyone ever done carryon only to Orlando? If you did, what did you do about sunscreen?

Who are you flying? Do they allow one carry-on and one personal item?

I have done that at least 3 times now. I don't have a problem fitting all my stuff into a large duffle bag for my carry on (within the size limit) and the rest into a day bag (I shove my purse into the day bag).

I buy a couple of the travel size sunscreens from Target and put them in my liquids bag. I tend to only use sunscreen on my arms though, as my legs are usually covered and I use a face moisturizer with spf in it.

I think it can definitely be done if you are staying 3 days or less! :sunshine:

bbangel
06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I did carry-on only. I took a travel sized bottle of sunscreen. I tend to stay out of the sun so only use sunscreen on the places I tend to burn quickly(knees, hands, back of neck) so that was enough for me. If I had needed more I would have bought some from the resort store. It may be a bit more expensive but totally worth it to not have to deal with checked luggage.

Hedy
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks-I'm flying southwest. I'm thinking I'll do one bag, plus a backpack as my personal item.

sammielynn
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
You can always buy sunscreen there. It may cost more but could worth the cost. I can't do that because I cannot use just any sunscreen, so many of them make me itch. How many days are you staying?
Once I shipped some things to myself so I would not have to fool with luggage.

Hedy
06-04-2008, 12:22 PM
You can always buy sunscreen there. It may cost more but could worth the cost. I can't do that because I cannot use just any sunscreen, so many of them make me itch. How many days are you staying?
Once I shipped some things to myself so I would not have to fool with luggage.

Two days, so it seems silly to check it, but I'm wondering if having my own sunscreen might be worth the baggage wait.

Hedy
06-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Two days, so it seems silly to check it, but I'm wondering if having my own sunscreen might be worth the baggage wait.

I'm now thinking I may just fill empty travel sized bottles (old shampoo and the like) with sunscreen.

disneyforever
06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I fly approx 4 - 6 trips per year and I haven't checked luggage in over 6 years.
I even only took a carry on when I traveled to New Zealand and the Cook Islands
for 2+ weeks. Depending on how many bottles of shampoo, mouthwash, soap,
ect... you take, you could bring 2 travel size bottles of sunscreen. That is the
amount of sunscreen I take for a week at the parks. You can also buy sunscreen
at WDW - although it may be a bit more money. Get the bottles with the little clip
on them and you can attach the sunscreen to your beltloop or bag while in the park.

Have fun in Orlando! :cooldance:

cglaura
06-04-2008, 01:38 PM
How about sunscreen wipes/towelettes? Do wipes count towards what has to go in the ziploc bag? If so, they may take up less room?

zoodoyle
06-04-2008, 03:34 PM
When the 9 of us go in Aug., our plan is to ship a box to ourselves ahead of time, filled with some snack stuff and our extra things like sunscreen, etc... And then we're planning to only do carry-on. Definitely don't want to start our trip waiting forever to get our bags (with 3 kids ready to get rolling!)!!

I think your plan to put sunscreen in the travel size bottles is a great one!! Very cost-effective too!!

ligrumpygirl
06-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I have the Owner's Locker in Orlando now but I used to bring the travel sunscreens. They are nice because they have a hook to latch onto any bag you are carrying in the park.

Hedy
07-07-2008, 11:57 PM

I did it and loved. I used the spray 3 oz sunscreen from CVS, but it only lasted me two days in the parks, so I think I may ship it down in August.

fourfoxesinpa
07-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I plan on doing carry-on only for our 6 day trip to the Grand Canyon next month. Each of the FourFoxes will have a carry-on and a backpack. There is a layover and I just don't want to deal with a lost bag or the time needed to check bags at the airport since we have a very early departure. Every minute saved is another minute a little Fox can sleep, making everyone's trip a little nicer. Checking bags can be such a hassle.

That is a very good question about sunscreen wipes and whether they count as a liquid...My first guess is no, since you can't wring them out and get liquid but I'd hate to buy them and have them confiscated at security.

m 'n c
07-08-2008, 12:41 AM
One thing I have read and seen on tv lately is that airlines are about to start measuring carryons (yeah what a PITA I know) so try to prepare by measuring your carryons before getting to the airports. Each airline should have measurements on their websites from what the media is reporting and if you are over the measurement you will have to check it on the spot and pay the checked baggage fees.

Mom2aPrincess
07-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Wow! I so envy you guys that can do only carryons...I'm just too much of an overpacker I guess. I actually went luggage shopping so we'd have a bigger suitcase for Cameron to check since we are now limited to one bag coming back. *sigh* There are 3 of us and we'll have each a large suitcase stuffed to about 2 pounds short of the max and a carryon and a personal bag...:rotfl:

And to do that, I'll end up leaving something at home that I don't want to. Yea! I'm a compulsive over packer...Is there an overpacker anonymous? :rolleyes:

It's not that bad for us though...we'll have to check it in Houston, but I don't mind..We did that in December and it wasn't that long of a wait, and then Disney will take care of it for us until we're back in Houston.

3dog2kidmom
07-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I plan on doing carry-on only for our 6 day trip to the Grand Canyon next month. Each of the FourFoxes will have a carry-on and a backpack. There is a layover and I just don't want to deal with a lost bag or the time needed to check bags at the airport since we have a very early departure. Every minute saved is another minute a little Fox can sleep, making everyone's trip a little nicer. Checking bags can be such a hassle.

That is a very good question about sunscreen wipes and whether they count as a liquid...My first guess is no, since you can't wring them out and get liquid but I'd hate to buy them and have them confiscated at security.

I have traveled with sunscreen wipes and those individually packed handiwipes and they are fine through Security.