Thread: How to fix broken shopping links...

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Default How to fix broken shopping links...

Mods/SR family please add/change/move to the right location but Gay (AROB414) basically found the problem and it also fixed mine. She had it listed in her original post ( http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/...?t=9648&page=2 ) and I'm just going to modify it here.

One thing to note is I found that Spybot is the one who changed the host file name and caused the issue on my pc. I removed it a while ago. That was 1 of the few things we did months ago when we were cleaning up our pc.

The steps I took were : (to identify the location, look at which operating system your using)

1. Open 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' then navigate to the following directory and filename:

"Windows 95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts
    Windows XP Home/Pro: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows NT or 2000: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Also, check: c:\windows\help or c:\winnt\help
    (Some spyware changes the default location to these locations.) "

2. Highlight the file, right click and select rename (Hosts to Hosts.bak). Add .bak to the end and select yes to confirm.
    3. Go back and try the links to see if they work.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by askomsky View Post
    Mods/SR family please add/change/move to the right location but Gay (AROB414) basically found the problem and it also fixed mine. She had it listed in her original post ( http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/...?t=9648&page=2 ) and I'm just going to modify it here.

One thing to note is I found that Spybot is the one who changed the host file name and caused the issue on my pc. I removed it a while ago. That was 1 of the few things we did months ago when we were cleaning up our pc.

The steps I took were : (to identify the location, look at which operating system your using)

1. Open 'My Computer' or 'Windows Explorer' then navigate to the following directory and filename:

"Windows 95/98/ME: c:\windows\hosts
    Windows XP Home/Pro: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows NT or 2000: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Also, check: c:\windows\help or c:\winnt\help
    (Some spyware changes the default location to these locations.) "

2. Highlight the file, right click and select rename (Hosts to Hosts.bak). Add .bak to the end and select yes to confirm.
    3. Go back and try the links to see if they work.
    Thank you for your help, but I am totally computer illiterate! I have Windows XP (that much I know) but when I pull up My Computer, I am not sure how to get to the point where it says c:/windows/system32 etc.....Any help would be appreciated, because of course the places I want to shop at I can longer pull up. I have never had this problem before.

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by penn19 View Post

Thank you for your help, but I am totally computer illiterate! I have Windows XP (that much I know) but when I pull up My Computer, I am not sure how to get to the point where it says c:/windows/system32 etc.....Any help would be appreciated, because of course the places I want to shop at I can longer pull up. I have never had this problem before.
    Try this:

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Window Explorer -> My Computer -> Local Disk (probably C) -> Windows -> System 32 -> Drivers -> Etc -> Hosts (you should see Hosts on the right side of your screen).

Any time you see a + by a name, such as Windows, if you click the name or the plus, it will open the file (you could thinnk of it as a file drawer). Then, you will find more goodies in the "drawer".

I am a nurse, but I love to look inside my files for some dumb reason. Must be the nurse in me that makes me want to know how things tick. My sister is the one with the computer degrees but I have actually taught her a thing or two. And, the computer sister has taught the Nursery nurse sister a thing or two about babies, too.

So I thought I had it partially fixed. My husband did something and got some of the links to work. Now they are back to not working again. And it is only through SR that I have this problem and never have before. When I get to the Hosts file, it will not allow me to change it to hosts.bak. It says this file is full and won't allow me to make the change.

I thought I'd just ask if anyone has any other suggestions. There is only 1 site I can not get to - ShopMall.com. I haven't run into any others. I did do everything that April said to do in the first post, and then I went over to Gay's post, and checked all that info out. I've cleared cookies, disabled Norton... ran ad aware... anything else I should try??

I REALLY want to use that 20% crocs... I would go somewhere else, BUT shoebuy doesn't have the size I need in stock.

Of course, this is what happens when I just keep questioning what I"m getting, but if you have any suggestions, I'll be opened to anything! The weird thing is that I can go there just by typing in the website in the address bar on IE or Firefox.
    Last edited by amarazas; 12-16-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: clarification
    Amy

PhotobucketSunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

After much googling I wasn't having much luck finding an answer to my latest thread. I did start going through Tools -> Options and came across Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Sites and found some of the ones on Gay's list on always block so I deleted them and added back as always allow. I did the same thing with Firefox so maybe this will solve the problem.
    Sunshine Rewards