Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whispering Canyon Cafe?

Default Whispering Canyon Cafe?

Looking at different restaurants for our next trip. I feel like I read somewhere this is not a place to go if you have shy kids. (My DS8 would rather die than have someone talk to him!) But, we think the food sounds pretty good. Anyone have any opinions?

Tough call. It is a very lively place. The food is good, though. And in case you're considering it, I think the same would apply for Prime Time Cafe. They'd probably really give him a hard time for not talking to them.
    Magic Maker, Off to Neverland Travel Co.

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

The food is amazing...but I have to agree it might be hard on a shy kid...especially if he wants ketchup!!
    Sunshine Rewards

I have to agree with the rest. It is a very fun place to go, but they definitely joke with you. The food is great though. They put my bff's dh in jail, it was hilarious.
    Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

I read on DIS that if you ask to be seated in the rear area of the restaurant that it is actually less frenetic than the front part and that one is actually left alone. That might be an option for you.
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

cglaura is offline Am I the only one picturing the Brady Bunch

Thanks so much for this question, I was wondering the same. My dd is exactly the same way. I've been itching to eat here and also at Prime Time Cafe, which I've read has alot of server interaction, but she says no way!

At least I can give this a shot now, and try the back section as suggested.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

DS#1 is high-functioning autistic and not one for strangers. He enjoys watching the activity at WCC but doesn't really participate. We have never had a problem with him getting teased or bothered there. You would be surprised at how intuitive the wait staff is to that kind of stuff.

I would highly recommend you going. It is a great place!
    Lynn
    Sunshine Rewards

I think maybe we will try it. I'll just ask them to seat us in the back and we'll see how it goes. Has anyone ever just pulled the waiter/waitress aside and explained the situation or would that make it worse? Thanks for all your responses.

I've never had to do that but I think that if you told the CM that, they should certainly keep it in mind. I mean Disney is normally all about making the guests happy, and especially kids.
    Magic Maker, Off to Neverland Travel Co.

Default Shy Kids

This is somewhat of a diversion from the Whispering Canyon question --- BTW -- this is probably my favorite restaurant for breakfast. The food is great!

However, as to shy children --- Last Fall we were in WDW with my daughter's two God daughters who are EXTREMELY shy - PAINFULLY shy. They wouldn't talk with anyone or to anything! My daughter started each of them out with a lanyard and some pins. She told them that they could only trade with cast members. The first few days, they just walked around with a lanyard full of pins to trade, then, like a miracle, they started talking to cast members and trading pins with them. By the end of the trip, they weren't interested in the rides or food -- they wanted to trade pins - they were talking to everybody, including other kids. You couldn't get them out of the park when the park was closing -- as long as they could corner a cast member, they were staying. It was a great way to break that shyness. They are now members of the Sunshine trading board and they look forward to when the mail comes.