Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heres the deal...

Default Heres the deal...

Some of you it seems have got your feelings hurt over some responses in threads or directions given by the mods. They aren't here to harass you, they are here to enforce SR rules and SR forum rules. These rules are in place for a reason, not just because we felt like making a sticky that was 12 inches long. We are happy that these women have even volunteered to help us watch the boards which leaves more time for the SR crew to be looking for deals and offers. Please don't get offended. We aren't pointing fingers at anyone in particular. If you break one of the rules, you will be notified of it, either by warning or infraction. Every good forum has rules, and SR has rules for offers and merchants that we need to follow in order to get the best we can from our merchants, therefore, we try to keep the forum looking its best, because believe it or not, they do lurk here, quite frequently. Newcomers need to read the rules, thats why we have the sticky on them. Arguing back with the mods won't get you anywhere. If you are not sure whether something can be discussed here, or if you have a problem with something that is being discussed here, PM the mods, they will help you. We want everyone to feel like they have freedom of speech, but within reason and our guidelines. Its you guys that make this forum and SR the fun place to escape our daily routines, and you've done a great job building this community. Everyone here contributes so much to the others. Good job to all our forum members and mods.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

I can't imagine that anyone would be upset by what a mod has to say here. I think that the mods (and members) are very helpful and kind even in some situations where many other people would lose their cool. The only way I can see someone being upset is if a member is hiding something, being untruthful or acting in an irresponsible way and don't like the response that they hear. Even in those situations I think that the mods here are VERY careful to walk a clear line in outling the guidelines and directing members to the right path in a very tactful way.

Because of the closeness of our community, I think sometimes some people do lose track of the fact that SR is a business and has to follow very close rules. SR has been negatively impacted by the improper behavior of members in the past and has to take a strong and vigilant stance against it. It is for the good of SR (by SR I mean the company and its' members!)

OK - that was just one member's take on it
    Lynn
    Sunshine Rewards

jollytammy is offline I have trouble even knowing what day it is

JollyTammy

icartjetta is offline Crap, I hate games. If I see naked people they better be good looking.

Thanks, for the nice words.
    Sometimes rules are just needed.
    Traci
    Sunshine Rewards

I suppose I have been guilty of taking something personally in the past - when I understand it isn't really meant to be given that way. I do appreciate the work the mods do, and see that the guidelines have been very effective in keeping the SR forums clean and wholesome and fun as well. I don't see that there has really been anything unkind or cruel said in enforcing guidelines, either - people just don't flame people on SR, which is a very wonderful thing, since I have seen nasty forums where this is done, by moderators/administrator. Not good. But SR is a well-run and good-hearted forum, so thanks for making it that way!!

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.

My thoughts . . .

I got a warning from a mod a few days ago because I used a vendor's name in a post. My first reaction was "Wow! That was harsh!" Then I did recall that the rules do specifically say you can't do that, so the warning was appropriate. I did PM the mod and apologize for the mistake. I think the word "warning" immediately put me in the mindset that the words were meant to be more harsh than intended. Sometimes things don't come across in writing (emails, posts, etc.) in the same way as you would say it to the person if you could talk to them. For example, I used to end all of my email messages with what I thought was a happy and cheerful "Thanks!" I came to find out that on occasion, it was interpreted as an angry "Thanks!" (like "Thanks for Nothing!!"). Aaah, but if only I could have said it, the tone of my voice could have told them what kind of thanks I meant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a two way street. You gotta watch how you write something and you gotta watch how you interpret something. Maybe step back and take a minute to think before reacting.

Maybe we could find a kindler, gentler word other than "warning." Maybe the first infraction could be called an "Oops."
    Barb

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I understand what your saying about the word warning but it is a system word LOL we don't actually type that part. When we give a warning we just type the little message that tells you why and the rest is system generated. We have it set up so that warnings expire in 10 days and so they don't really serve any function except to say oops you made a mistake and we wanted to let you know. If it is something bigger the note will say Infraction instead of warning. Hopefully this will help to explain it a little and thank you for you guys for your input and kind words.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyDog View Post
    My thoughts . . .

I got a warning from a mod a few days ago because I used a vendor's name in a post. My first reaction was "Wow! That was harsh!" Then I did recall that the rules do specifically say you can't do that, so the warning was appropriate. I did PM the mod and apologize for the mistake. I think the word "warning" immediately put me in the mindset that the words were meant to be more harsh than intended. Sometimes things don't come across in writing (emails, posts, etc.) in the same way as you would say it to the person if you could talk to them. For example, I used to end all of my email messages with what I thought was a happy and cheerful "Thanks!" I came to find out that on occasion, it was interpreted as an angry "Thanks!" (like "Thanks for Nothing!!"). Aaah, but if only I could have said it, the tone of my voice could have told them what kind of thanks I meant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a two way street. You gotta watch how you write something and you gotta watch how you interpret something. Maybe step back and take a minute to think before reacting.

Maybe we could find a kindler, gentler word other than "warning." Maybe the first infraction could be called an "Oops."
    Thats some very good points, and if the mods sometime seem a little irritated, its because they are. Sometimes we give a warning, and edit the post, and 3 posts later, someone does the same thing. At times it can be exasperating, and sometimes its the "no tone heard" that does make it seem harsher then it is. I guess what Im wanting is for the membership not to take it to heart, and to understand why we have the rules in place and why we have mods to enforce them and to maybe, occasionally, just review the stickies which would help avoid a lot of this. Maybe we can even do a poll or have a contest on the best word to replace "warning".
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    I understand what your saying about the word warning but it is a system word LOL we don't actually type that part. When we give a warning we just type the little message that tells you why and the rest is system generated. We have it set up so that warnings expire in 10 days and so they don't really serve any function except to say oops you made a mistake and we wanted to let you know. If it is something bigger the note will say Infraction instead of warning. Hopefully this will help to explain it a little and thank you for you guys for your input and kind words.

Infraction! Yikes! I'm not sure my poor heart could take it if I got one of those! I'll have to be on my toes so I don't mess up again!
    Barb

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyDog View Post
    My thoughts . . .

Wow I never thought it could be taken like that... "Thanks!" bc I end almost ALL emails with that.... So far no one has indicated that it offended them, but your so right, you can't hear the "tone" in an email, post, forum etc.

PS. "Thanks!" must be a PA thing! lol
    Sunshine Rewards