Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying Some New Things

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Would a section for feeds clutter up the forums too much? Maybe call it Entertainment news but then other items wouldn't fit if you did more feeds. I like the idea I just don't know the best home for it.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    I came here looking for info before I reported it as spam.

I went looking for the 'Thank Your Pal' post and it was on page 2. There were 12 Fandango's on the first page.
    I agree with Kathie & April...it's very distracting. I clicked on "new posts" and got hammered with Fandango ads. I wouldn't mind one or two a day I suppose, but the current feed amount is too spammy for my taste. Maybe it's just the way I check for new posts - is there a better way to avoid them?
    Lori

Sunshine Rewards 8x Super Member

Please keep in mind that I was trying to get them to work yesterday. So we ended up having a lot of them come in a short period of time. Once I worked with them, I got them so that you should not see more than 4 total every day.

From my perspective, they are more relative to SR than the "this or that" or "word association" posts because they apply to more people and they advertise one of our merchants. But that's just my opinion because those particular threads do not interest me at all.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Please keep in mind that I was trying to get them to work yesterday. So we ended up having a lot of them come in a short period of time. Once I worked with them, I got them so that you should not see more than 4 total every day.

From my perspective, they are more relative to SR than the "this or that" or "word association" posts because they apply to more people and they advertise one of our merchants. But that's just my opinion because those particular threads do not interest me at all.
    I agree it's everyone's taste or preference bc I'm with you I don't pay attention to the word association, this or that, scrabble etc. Not that I don't mind them being there but I love my new post button but when I hit it and have 35 new posts and 10 are coupons, 5 are the "this and that games" and now news feed it's hard to find the heart of the posts I really want.

I'm not against the news feed, but I agree they just looked kinda too spammy but since you said your playing with it, it shouldn't be too bad with 4 a day or there abouts.

Faithhope said it best, I'm really just here for SR friends and updates. IF there was a way I could "block" threads I think that would be awesome, bc then I could say no to the ones I don't want to see. (I know I'm dreaming and a lot more work!)
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Hey guys lets give them a chance. There were some pretty interesting ones that posted over night and I think we could get some fun conversations going out of them.
    Sunshine Rewards

One thing that everyone also has to think about is that even though the forum is here for fun and community, it's also our family business. So there has to be a certain amount of advertising to support it. So one of the things that I am doing is trying to work in some advertising without it being just blatant advertising. Fandango struck me as a good fit because we would get entertainment news along with the advertisements. We have advertisers practically begging us to add them to our forum and I try to kind of limit the amount of the ads on here or the way that they appear. I pulled almost all of the google ads off the other day because of some complaints about them. So I need to find a good way to replace that money.

It's a work in progress. We'll continue to tinker. Like right now I see two banner ads at the top of my page, which is not acceptable to me. I need to make sure that no more than one appears on any given page. Like I said, I don't want "in your face" ads all over the forum.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

I apologize for sounding bratty - I thought you were interested in our feedback about the volume. I fully understand and respect their necessity, and I agree that the "this or that" and "scrabble" threads are OT and not SR related (and not really conversation starters either). Like April said, the combo of those long threads, the coupons (which I like), and the ads just hammered me this morning when I logged on and checked "new posts". I think I'd rather see the ads splashed throughout the forum, in between posts even...but maybe I'll regret that too. I agree - it's a tough thing.

(FWIW, I'm cranky today, so perhaps that's more the problem than the ads, LOL!)
    Lori

Sunshine Rewards 8x Super Member

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    One thing that everyone also has to think about is that even though the forum is here for fun and community, it's also our family business. So there has to be a certain amount of advertising to support it. So one of the things that I am doing is trying to work in some advertising without it being just blatant advertising. Fandango struck me as a good fit because we would get entertainment news along with the advertisements. We have advertisers practically begging us to add them to our forum and I try to kind of limit the amount of the ads on here or the way that they appear. I pulled almost all of the google ads off the other day because of some complaints about them. So I need to find a good way to replace that money.

It's a work in progress. We'll continue to tinker. Like right now I see two banner ads at the top of my page, which is not acceptable to me. I need to make sure that no more than one appears on any given page. Like I said, I don't want "in your face" ads all over the forum.
    We understand Tricia and like I said it's just something else to get used to, it's your business and you need to do what is best for you. I don't mind them but I think a few of us may have thought they would have come through often and a lot which could have been overwhelming. Sometimes change is hard!!!!!! We still love SR and I for one is staying put.
    Sunshine Rewards

The intrusiveness I think is really the key. I will be anxious to see what everyone thinks once we cycle through the load of posts that came in yesterday. Hopefully when you start seeing them less frequently, they will integrate into the flow better.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

I like a combo of both. I really like the coupons, because even though I'm the one that puts them in, I forget about them, or sometimes they are put in weeks in advance and I forgot about them and they are very useful. The Fandango look a bit overwhelming, and I think a few a day is no biggie. I skip right over the game threads since I don't participate in them anyway. I don't see any big deal with the google ads or banners. Some of them look interesting. Its not like they are between all the threads. I do think that Fandando needs to be all in one place, that would be much more convenient to check. Its just change, and no matter how it all shakes out, we'll get use to it.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.