Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dorm Shopping?

You first need to check to see what is allowed and what's not allowed. A lot of things have changed over the years. My DD19 couldn't have a microwave in the room, but the school furnished one in the kitenette area of the room. Also, you need to make sure that a large fridge will fit. The one we had for DD didn't. For sure, cleaning products and bug spray!!!!! When DD went off to a school in Baton Rouge, they had roaches (she came home the next day they were so bad) and the school in Huntsville, Texas had ants!! So make sure he has bug spray.

A small first aid kit. A flashlight with extra batteries. Oh, and please don't forget to get some extra extension cords. Also we purchased a trunk that came with a deadbolt lock and key for DD to lock up her important stuff. Tacky tape, bins, thumb tacks, I recycle my plastic grocery bags, so she took a lot of those for trash liners. Oh, and definitely a small or large rug to fit alongside of his bed and please don't forget the bed liner! We also purchased some bed lifters (very inexpensive) so that he bed would be high enough to store trunks and stuff underneath. They really came in handy.

HTH!

I'll add more as I think about it. We're gonna replenish DD's necessities this weekend as she leaves on the 20th.

Take your camera along so you can capture the moment!
    Sunshine Rewards

WOW! You guys think of everything! My DD is headed back for her second year - one of the civic org. at her university rents bed lofts - both her and her roommate took advantage of this and basically had all their floor space. A first aid kit with just the basics is an absolute! They do have a medical facility on campus, but no so handy in the middle of the night when you need that tylenol. As far as the shower - there is a store (not sure if they are a merchant???) that sells mesh shower caddies. When we go camping that is what we see all the guys using. It is tall and holds a lot - but also stands up on its on. One other thing that came in handy was over the door hooks - they used these on the closet doors and added lots of space - especially in the winter with their big coats. Good luck!
    Ellen

ETA: I don't see the store as a merchant, if allowed, you can PM me and I will let you know the store.

EPCOT's Family of the Day, June 9, 2007

I have most everything you have on your list. I don't have bug spray, but bugs are not as much of a problem in East Tennessee as in Texax an LA. He would not hear of a shower caddy, so I found a hanging shave kit at Ebags, I bought bed risers but he might loft the beds, I didn't even think about taking a camera better check the batteries, got a laptop safe that will hold some other things, first aid kit is ready, he has several flashlights better pack one, I want to get him a rug but he said no. I'm about to stress out but he has done nothing to get ready. Times like these make me wish I had a daughter.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
    I have most everything you have on your list. I don't have bug spray, but bugs are not as much of a problem in East Tennessee as in Texax an LA. He would not hear of a shower caddy, so I found a hanging shave kit at Ebags, I bought bed risers but he might loft the beds, I didn't even think about taking a camera better check the batteries, got a laptop safe that will hold some other things, first aid kit is ready, he has several flashlights better pack one, I want to get him a rug but he said no. I'm about to stress out but he has done nothing to get ready. Times like these make me wish I had a daughter.

Sorry. Both my DS could care less as to what I purchased for them when they went away to college. Whatever I bought, they used!!!! Matter fact, they didn't even know what they had until we were in the dorm unpacking.
    Now DD was more proactive. We did all of her dorm shopping together.

Hope everything works out!
    Sunshine Rewards