Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dorm Shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
    We had a discussion about showers and shower baskets. He put his foot down to a shower basket type thing, must be a guy thing.
    I have already bought all types of desk/office stuff.
    I am going to buy him a fridge, glad to hear you saying to buy a bigger one. I was on the fence with that. Will get a microwave.
    What do you think about a samll drawer safe? Something to keep his checkbook and cash in. Sears and Kmart have several. I always had mine with me but he doesn't carry a purse.
    Maybe a mesh bag then like for camping...definitely more manly than the shower basket...that is what my guys use to go to the bathhouse when we camp...just a thought...
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Yes he needs a locking cable on that laptop so he can lock to something that doesn't remove from the dorm if that makes sense. Laptops are the #1 thing to get stolen from rooms and if kids are anything like I was almost 10 years ago (eek!) we would leave our doors open while we ran next door or down the hall unattended and would be easy for someone to swipe it in a few seconds.
    Sunshine Rewards

I just orded a laptop safe
    http://www.csnstores.com/Honeywell-S...D-HNW1033.html

It should be large enough for his laptop, ipod, check book and some cash.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

A mesh bag would be a good idea. I run that one by him.
    Sammielynn

Don't know if it's manly, but an egg crate for the mattress was invaluable when I was at college.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Wink

I got a huge sturdy laundry bag from my local laundromat, my dd loved it, she dragged that thing up and down the stairs to the laundry room for 4 years.(does have two small holes in it now, time for a new one)
    Another great thing was laundry detergent, maybe he'd like the tablets as opposed to the powder/liquid that you have to measure? Check your local grocery store. And quaters if he needs them, just enough to get started with.

I bought a small microwave at BJ's and got an Avanti Two Door Compact Refrigerator/Freezer, in black from Compact Appliance dot com(on sale now for 236.00). Just like a real fridge, only 3.1 cubic feet.
    Also had to get the Amp Overload Protector from them also. You plug both the fridge and microwave into this little device, so when the microwave is on, this protector automatically shuts off the refrigerator. College required it for safety/fire reasons. She used it all 4 years and will be bringing them back to Grad school in the fall.

Bought some of those under the bed storage boxes with wheels..she used them for sheets and towels.

A must have thing is a GOOD stand fan...it gets really hot in those rooms.

Gift cards, gift cards and more gift cards....bookstore, add to thier dining dollars account and various restaurants and stores like Targets or Walmarts. Can never have enough of those.

And one more thing, if they are allowed to bring a car to campus, get them AAA...ya just never know and my kiddo used it more than once.

Congrats on entering a whole new world now..
    Last edited by Pooh's Pal; 07-29-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    I'M DEB And I'm Making My Way Back To Disney..With Sunshine Rewards...One Click At A Time!

Deb Tokarski -Mouse World Travel, An Authorized Disney Vacation Planner

Booking Disney Destinations (Disney World, DisneyLand, Disney Cruises & Adventures by Disney)
    as well as Sandals & Beaches Resorts and other destinations & other cruise lines worldwide!!

For more information and a free no-obligation quote email me at: deb@mouseworldtravel.com
    You can also Friend me on Facebook--> Deb Tee
    Your Dreams are a Wish Away with ME and I am ready to help you find your Dream Vacation!!

Quote Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
    I just orded a laptop safe
    http://www.csnstores.com/Honeywell-S...D-HNW1033.html

It should be large enough for his laptop, ipod, check book and some cash.
    Love, love, love CSN stores! I just bought a coffee table from them last week. And I already see your credit.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

I know that kids now a days all have cell phones, but, a phone card is always good for them to keep on hand in case the cell goes dead or they don't have it for some reason.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

Rolls and rolls of quarters for the laundromat!!!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Love, love, love CSN stores! I just bought a coffee table from them last week. And I already see your credit.
    Very cool!

I already have sheets, towels, memory foam matress pad(from Overstock), and basic school supplies. I always have a change jar so I'll hook him up with quarters from that. He has a laptop and printer(printer ink from Circuit City, he has a weird printer and they are the only ones that sell the ink), ipod, TV , DVD player. Ordered a hanging toilerty kit from e-bags and laptop safe from CSN. Still working on a fridge, microwave and some type of vacuum. Also need to work on a first aid kit of some type.
    Sammielynn