Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dorm Shopping?

You're a good Mom Sammilynn!!! I think you and everyone else have thought of everything! My son has been out of college for a few years now, but I can't think of anything else except a box of kleenex for YOU! If you're anything like me, you'll actually need more than one. Good luck!
    Last edited by Iteach; 08-13-2008 at 05:48 PM.

How about a TV? Some dorms now are more like apartments My neph is in college now and his "dorm" is like an apartment. 3 rooms and a kitchen/living area. It is a newer school though. One note on the fridge..Some schools have regulations on how much watts it can be like the microwave and the fridge. Check with the school so u dont try to put a full size fridge like i did

-r

You should double check the policy on microwaves. I work at a University in NY and the students here aren't allowed microwaves, toaster ovens or indoor grills. They are allowed to bring pop-up toasters; closed element popcorn poppers; micro-fridge units; thermostatically controlled hot pots & Rice cookers; coffeemakers; and refrigerators.

That being said, when I went to away to college way back when we weren't allowed microwaves either. There was a student that put rabbit ear antennas on his and pretended it was a TV. He got away with it for months too!
    TTFN, Marianne
    Sunshine Rewards
    DD17 DS11 1/2
    My brother Tom (September 26, 1965 - December 4, 2007) always in our hearts. We miss you Tommy!
    I miss you Mom! September 20, 1931 - October 3, 2011

Will the pain ever go away? We still miss you every day!

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I probably wouldn't spend too much on a vaccum. I know my roomies and I rarely used ours and we were girls.

Don't forget a trash can and trash bags. Those will come in handy.

I really don't know what else to suggest. I always over packed and had more than I ever used.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerific711 View Post
    You should double check the policy on microwaves. I work at a University in NY and the students here aren't allowed microwaves, toaster ovens or indoor grills. They are allowed to bring pop-up toasters; closed element popcorn poppers; micro-fridge units; thermostatically controlled hot pots & Rice cookers; coffeemakers; and refrigerators.

That being said, when I went to away to college way back when we weren't allowed microwaves either. There was a student that put rabbit ear antennas on his and pretended it was a TV. He got away with it for months too!
    if he's not allowed a microwave, a toaster oven would certainly do the job! my grandmother cooks everything from toast to pecan pies in hers, lol. but if he's allowed nothing more than a hot plate, it's better than nothing! perhaps you can check with his roommate's family and one could bring the fridge and the other the microwave (or whatever is allowed) so they don't duplicate and take up more space? it would save some money too!
    Lord, i dread DD going off to college...just getting her into 5th grade is costing so much i'm embarrassed to tell y'all. the fees & gym clothes (must be bought at school) alone are $71.00, not including the fee for a gym locker, which i don't know about yet.

He can have a microwave but no toaster oven. Each college has such strange rules.

Maybe I wll invest in a broom and dustpan instead of a vacuum.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
    He can have a microwave but no toaster oven. Each college has such strange rules.

Maybe I wll invest in a broom and dustpan instead of a vacuum.
    Now, that is all I would do, because he most likely will only use it when he absolutely HAS to. LOL Afterall, he is a GUY.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    Now, that is all I would do, because he most likely will only use it when he absolutely HAS to. LOL Afterall, he is a GUY.
    So true
    Sammielynn

Well rats! Ordered a fridge from Sears.com and it arrived today and was damaged. Now I'm back to square one on a fridge. No time to reorder he leaves Saturday.
    Sammielynn

Some colleges have fridges that you can rent.

Don't forget to add meds like Tylenol, Tums, sunscreen, etc to the first aide kit.

expandable file folder to keep important papers, records, and receipts

bulletin board or dry erase board

wall calendar

tape recorder for class lectures

flashlight

laundry detergent and laundry basket or bag

travel iron and small ironing board if he will use them

hangers

alarm clock

small rug

desk lamp

garbage can

wall decor

camera

sewing kit if he will use it

How about something special sent from Mom? The Popcorn Factory has their "You've Got Treats" back to school snack box for 1/2 price until 9/30.
    Last edited by Belle; 08-14-2008 at 01:16 AM.
    Shake it like a Polaroid picture! Thanks, jfrog!