Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JENVANCE - Still here???

Quote Originally Posted by lanny76 View Post
    You know, I was wondering why drs think they have to induce so quickly after a due date?! Babies can be a week or so past the due date and it's not a problem for the baby - I mean, the mom may be uncomfortable, yes! But I have heard that induced labors are not very easy (mine haven't been induced and have been intense, so I wouldn't want to know how intense a pitocin labor could be!)
    Really, though, in most cases the baby will decide to come naturally, if a little late, without the necessity for induction. I guess drs just like to be doing something! -- Mine insists on an IV, just in case there's a problem, but I don't think it's necessary if there are no signs of a problem, but guess who thinks he's more right?!! I don't want to be made to feel like a patient when I'm just doing a perfectly natural thing like having a baby - but when you go to a hospital, I guess that's how it is. My rant for the day - sorry.
    Anyway, Jen, I'm glad you feel fine today! But here's hoping you start feeling some contractions, too!

In my case there is a reason, I guess. My son was 12 days late and he was very large and the doctor broke my water while I was in labor at the hospital and (sorry if this is TMI) before he was born he went to the bathroom in my uterus, # 2. Apparently the meconium can be very dangerous for babies and I guess they don't want it to happen again. I did not say I wanted to be induced, but this doctor said they don't like people going past 41 weeks because the baby is just gaining weight. Cheerleading is over and I still feel fine, lol, she is just really comfy in there.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by arob414 View Post
    Most of our moms who are induced, have been pushing the doc for the induction. We are even seeing moms pushing for sections...without a reason, other than that is what they want. And, I am talking about first time moms. There is a whole discussion, in my world, concerning the pros and cons. What a change, people used to complain that we did too many sections. And, we are forever getting the 32-26 wk mom who is "tired" of being pg. As a NICU nurse, those moms have no idea how tired they will get if they end up with a baby in NICU. They always know "someone" who had a baby at 36 wks that was fine. It happens, but we call them late preterms and they can have a whole set of problems all their own.
    I see that this is happening more and more often. I would have never thought to ask to be induced before my actual due date, for what reason?? But the pregnancy forum that I go to to read about the baby's development, all the women just keep complaining, and I mean from 30 weeks and on that they wanted their baby out. Being this pregnant is not supposed to be comfortable, lol. But its a small price to pay for a healthy baby.
    Sunshine Rewards

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by jenvance View Post
    In my case there is a reason, I guess. My son was 12 days late and he was very large and the doctor broke my water while I was in labor at the hospital and (sorry if this is TMI) before he was born he went to the bathroom in my uterus, # 2. Apparently the meconium can be very dangerous for babies and I guess they don't want it to happen again.
    As a NICU nurse, I wanted to be induced if I went past 40 wks. (That after saying the above) As a young high schooler, one of my teachers, 40 yrs old, lost her only child, she was 2 wks late. That hit me hard and I have never forgotten it. Little did I know I would end up as a NICU nurse. And, delivering my first at 40. I was scheduled for an induction but my water broke so I went earlier.

Meconium is a scarey thing. That and group B strept are 2 of the scariest things for us in the Nsy. We have gotten really good at taking care of preemies and have learned alot about the other two but we have a healthy respect for what the damage they can do.

And, yeah, some babies just don't need to grow bigger or they can get their shoulder hung.

Okay, after all the scarey talk...can't wait to hear from you and see the pictures. We have WiFi in our hospital. Do ya'll and if you do, in your spare time can you upload a picture for us.

The meconium was very scary, luckily my son is just fine. He was big, but he is just fine now. My pediatrician says that he was left to long and that was why that happened. I am just thankful there were no side effects from the meconium.

Unfortunately our hospital does not have wifi, so you all have to wait until I get home to see pictures, but I will definitely post some as soon as possible.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Yeah I can't understand wanting to have a section just because or inducing early. My OB induced me with the 1st two early bc they were already measuring big. I'm 5'8 and i'm small everyone else in my immediate family is over 6 foot. He also wouldn't have induced me, but I was already dialited and thinned out. He would rather deliver a slightly smaller baby a week early then a larger baby and possible section/suction/forceps a week later. I would have to agree. All of my baby's were healthy weights and born 39.5 wks, 38.5 weeks and 38 wks.
    Sunshine Rewards

I don't mean to say that I think there's never a good reason for induction, and it seems like there's a good enough reason in your case, jen.
    I also understand the thing about women wanting induction, sort of the way there are also increased elective c-sections. What I fail to relate to is just why women want these things! I mean, from what I have heard/read, an induced labor can be much stronger, and there's the recovery from surgery with the c-section. I'd rather have my labor happen on its own, and happen naturally!
    I know not every dr. is just jumping the gun, too - but trying to make a reasonable and right decision. It's just that it seems birth is somewhat more medicalized than it needs to be, to me.
    I'm not a flaming radical either, who thinks that hospital births are terrible, and intervention is never needed. I actually prefer to have my babies in the hospital, in the event there IS an issue, but I still want it to be as natural and un-medicalized as possible.
    I also think that there is something with my body that hasn't let me go too long or grow too big a baby- because I am rather small, barely 5'1 - and probably would have a harder time with a big baby. No need for me to be induced, when I go 2 weeks early! -- I have actually wondered if with some women the placenta starts giving up sooner than in others, and maybe that's why I have had my babies earlier, I don't know.
    Last edited by lanny76; 08-07-2008 at 10:30 PM.

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.

Seems like quite a few people I know have been/ are being induced on their due dates for various reasons. With my first, my water broke 2 months early and by the time we got to the hospital I was dilated to a 5. He was breach, so I had an emergency c-section. The NICU staff was WONDERFUL, but it is not something I would want anyone to HAVE to experience. It was a very long and hard 2 1/2 weeks!

With the second one, I had the choice of delivery and chose a repeat c-section. Although my c/s surgeries were fairly easy recovery wise, it isn't something I would just chose with my first or without reason. Since my first was so early, we scheduled my repeat c/s for 3 weeks prior to my due date. But I went into hard labor the day before surgery and was already dilated to a 6 by the time we got there...so another emergency c/s was in the plan.

I guess the one thing about my c-sections is that they were over within an hour...then the recovery!
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by lanny76 View Post
    I don't mean to say that I think there's never a good reason for induction, and it seems like there's a good enough reason in your case, jen.
    I also understand the thing about women wanting induction, sort of the way there are also increased elective c-sections. What I fail to relate to is just why women want these things! I mean, from what I have heard/read, an induced labor can be much stronger, and there's the recovery from surgery with the c-section. I'd rather have my labor happen on its own, and happen naturally!
    I know not every dr. is just jumping the gun, too - but trying to make a reasonable and right decision. It's just that it seems birth is somewhat more medicalized than it needs to be, to me.
    I'm not a flaming radical either, who thinks that hospital births are terrible, and intervention is never needed. I actually prefer to have my babies in the hospital, in the event there IS an issue, but I still want it to be as natural and un-medicalized as possible.
    I also think that there is something with my body that hasn't let me go too long or grow too big a baby- because I am rather small, barely 5'1 - and probably would have a harder time with a big baby. No need for me to be induced, when I go 2 weeks early! -- I have actually wondered if with some women the placenta starts giving up sooner than in others, and maybe that's why I have had my babies earlier, I don't know.
    Oh I agree with you, I can't understand why some would choose if there were no "real" reason why. I heard of one who wanted to schedule a section (with her first) bc of the convience of when they wanted to plan their vacation etc. To each his own, there are always valid reasons.
    Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I have to say that there are women who just aren't capable of vaginal births. I was 2 weeks late for my oldest child and not a bit dialated or softened. The doctor decided to induce my labor and I can promise you that I wish to God he had just done a C-section. I begged for it then and I still wish he would have. Instead he induced. 40 hours later and still not a bit dialated or softened and they decided I needed a C-section. The pain I went through for 40 hours was useless. My daughter was born 9lbs 4oz. My second and third births went until the week of my due date each time and never once did my cervix ever show any signs that I was even pregnant. I had scheduled sections for both of them. My 2nd child was 9lbs 11oz and had an 18in head. I was in and out of the hospital the whole pregnancy because she was so big and her head was near my ribs and heart and I kept passing out when she would roll over. Once again my doctor would not do the c-section early. Instead he made me wear a heart monitor that just made the claustrophobic feelings even worse. While doing the section I had two doctors laying on my chest trying to push her out and they had to use tongs and a vaccum ON A SECTION to get her out. My last was 8lbs 13oz and the pregnancy and section was easy. I wish to God I had one of those doctors who had just scheduled because I wanted him to or because he wanted to. Instead I had one who was overly cautious and let them get too big. Induction early and planned c-sections are not really all bad. Poor Grace had to wear a gown from the peds unit because she was too big for the gowns in the nursery and it was peach and she looked like a gnome!
    Sunshine Rewards

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Moms who are requesting elective sections (no medical reason) are doing so to avoid the pain of labor and for the convenience of scheduling. Janet, from what you have said, it sounds like you did need yours. I am in the Nsy and rarely work in L&D, but I think most docs like to give moms a trial of labor because overall there are less risks to a baby who goes thru labor and delivers vaginally. Hormones are realized, during labor, that are good for the baby's lungs, plus they get the squeeze. But, ultimately, whatever is best for mom and baby is the best thing. And, all moms are different. We have tiny moms who push out 10 pounders and amazon moms who end up needing a section for a 5 pounder. Besides the mom being able to push out the baby, the baby also has to be able to tolerate the labor and delivery. Most can, but others can't. At our hospital, due to the risk of uterine rupture, we have pretty much stopped VBAC's (vag delivery after a section) and that is not considered elective, either.