Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plannning a trip for January!

Default Planning a trip for January! NOT

Updating our plans... see page 2

Well it's that time of year again when I start to get the bug for going back to my happy place (we booked our very first trip in August for Christmas, but have gone the past two Januarys over MLK day). Especially since when I go on the SR cruise we aren't doing any park days. Also over the past week or so we've decided not to book the 2010 DCL cruise we'd talked about and do a Disney trip instead, so I've been toying with how to get two trips out of this -- one each year. I happened to check packages online the other night, and yesterday morning called AAA who saved me ~$175 on a 4-night, 5-day package at Animal Kingdom Lodge with dining and flights (saved $500 on the flights booking through Disney with the package). I paid the deposit and nearly half of our flights with Sunshine Rewards gift cards!!

So here is a preliminary pre-trip (never too early, right?!):

The cast is a family of Disney fanatics --
    Me
    DH, goes along for the ride but secretly loves it too
    DS11, really wanted to go to the Grand Canyon this year but Disney is cheaper (I promised him Grand Canyon when everyone is able to do a good bit of hiking in a couple of years)
    and DS9

When --
    January 15-19, 2009. The kids are out of school on the 16th & 19th for MLK weekend so they only have to miss 1 day of school. I am happy about this since now DS is in 5th grade and I think it will be harder to take them out.

Tentative plans --

Thursday, 1/15 --
    Arrive MCO at 11:25 am and take Magical Express to AKL. Check in, drop our carry-ons, head to DHS. Fantasmic dinner package at Hollywood & Vine (reservation at 4:40). Fantasmic at 7 pm

Friday, 1/16 --
    Epcot mid-morning through pm EMH. Dinner at Marrakesh 7 pm. Illuminations at 9 pm

Saturday, 1/17 --
    Animal Kingdom in the morning. Do our "must" list: Everest, Dinosaur and any other requests, and head back to AKL for the afternoon to enjoy the pool and resort. Dinner at Boma 6:35 pm.

Sunday, 1/18 --
    Magic Kingdom all day through pm EMH. Dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe at 5:05 pm. Wishes at 8 pm, Spectro at 9 pm.

Monday, 1/19 --
    Back to DHS until it's time to head home (we have a pretty nice day with a flight at 6:55 pm)

I'm so excited we are going to stay at AKL! If my November bonus doesn't happen to come in at what I think it should I'll switch to Pop as originally thought, but for now I'm dreaming of AKL. Now to figure out how many days are left...

Last edited by 3dog2kidmom; 11-08-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Plans changed - updating title

I AKL will be wonderful! Never stayed there, but visited. VERY exciting!
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

I love your plan. I think stay at AKL would be fantastic.
    Marilyn

Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Make sure you walk the trails at AKL. The resort is beautiful and I'm sure you will love it.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by bbangel View Post
    Make sure you walk the trails at AKL. The resort is beautiful and I'm sure you will love it.
    You'll have to tell me about the trails. Is that where you look at the animals on the savannah? We did that when we ate at Boma. I am hoping we will be able to catch one of the storytellers or something like that. I didn't pay for the savannah view room, but hope to get up early in the mornings and take a stroll with my camera.

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Quote Originally Posted by 3dog2kidmom View Post
    You'll have to tell me about the trails. Is that where you look at the animals on the savannah? We did that when we ate at Boma. I am hoping we will be able to catch one of the storytellers or something like that. I didn't pay for the savannah view room, but hope to get up early in the mornings and take a stroll with my camera.
    Yes, that is what I meant. I was amazed at how many people didn't realize that you could walk around the outside of the resort and find information and viewing spots for animals. The front desk should have a list of activities that take place in the lobby or around the fire pit and the times that you can find them.
    Sunshine Rewards

andrea2289 is offline I might even start my Sunshining with a big bowl of Baskin-Robbins Chubby Hubby

I am still a pecker!

Shelly we are talking about going that same weekend! I have heard the crowds can be pretty bad because of MLK holiday but I will hope for the best! I was also thinking of booking through AAA again! I was waiting for some '09 codes to come out, but I have read on other boards that the resorts are alreay filling up. I need to get on the ball!!
    ANDREA - 5x SUPERMEBER
        Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by andrea2289 View Post
    Shelly we are talking about going that same weekend! I have heard the crowds can be pretty bad because of MLK holiday but I will hope for the best! I was also thinking of booking through AAA again! I was waiting for some '09 codes to come out, but I have read on other boards that the resorts are alreay filling up. I need to get on the ball!!
    Andrea... we've been the same weekend the past 2 years and THERE ARE NO CROWDS!!! Granted, my frame of reference was Christmas week from the previous year, but still. I don't think I finished last year's trip reports, but look for my 3dog... TRs on this forum I think I might have mentioned how nice it was. I don't think we waited more than 20 minutes for anything. I love this weekend... we are getting 4 nights and 5 days and the kids only have to miss one day of school (so no homework to drag along!). And I think AAA saved ~$175 on this package.

Where are you wanting to stay?

Updating my plans (this is becoming a pre-TR... mods, feel free to move to the right forum for me.)

Lynn mentioned something on another thread about having breakfast at Crystal Palace because walking down a nearly empty Main Street was so nice, so I had to add that. And I tweaked our plans a bit to make better use of EMH. AND SIL & my nephew who live in the Tampa area may come visit one evening so I changed our Boma ADR to a bit later and added them on!

Here's the new schedule...

Thursday, 1/15 --
    Arrive MCO at 11:25 am and take Magical Express to AKL. Check in, drop our carry-ons, share lunch at The Mara. Head to DHS. Fantasmic dinner package at Hollywood & Vine (reservation at 4:40). Fantasmic at 7 pm. Park closes at 8.

Friday, 1/16 --
    Epcot mid-morning through pm EMH. Early lunch at Sunshine Seasons. Dinner at Marrakesh 7 pm. Illuminations at 9 pm. We probably won't take full advantage of EMH because I want to get an early start on Saturday.

Saturday, 1/17 --
    Grab a snack at The Mara for breakfast and head back to DHS for early EMH. Lunch at Toy Story Pizza Planet and head back to AKL after lunch. I don't think we will have any trouble getting through this park in half a day if we just hit the high points. Enjoy the pool and resort and hopefully spend some time with SIL and DN. Dinner at Boma 7:15 pm.

Sunday, 1/18 --
    8:05 breakfast at Crystal Palace!! This is the only part of our trip I'm keeping as a surprise for the kids until we actually get there. We'll tell them we're just going to grab a muffin at the bakery until we have to give it up to the CM at the gate so they let us in. I want to arrive early enough to get some pics of the empty street. I could spend all morning on that

Then Magic Kingdom until at least mid-day. We'll see how the lines are, how we feel, and how the weather is -- but may head back to AKL for a bit before dinner. Early dinner at Whispering Canyon Cafe at 5:05 pm. Take boat back to MK for Wishes at 8 pm, Spectro at 9 pm. Park closes at MIDNIGHT

Monday, 1/19 --
    Breakfast at The Mara, and head to Animal Kingdom. It's early EMH there so we will try to get there early enough to take advantage of that. Ride Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, catch a show or two, have lunch at Yak & Yeti CS, and if it's not too chilly I told the kids this time we might finally ride Kali River Rapids. Last!

Stay until it's time to head back to the resort to catch Magical Express for the airport (we have a flight at 6:55 pm).
    Last edited by 3dog2kidmom; 08-28-2008 at 08:16 AM.

We always do an early breakfast at MK for a non EMH day. We get lots of pics with our family without ANY one in the background. We usually take pics of other families for them and then they return the favor. Just love walking down Main Street and seeing that castle with hardly anyone there! VERY magical! You will not regret!
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards