Thread: It was a dark and stormy afternoon....

Default It was a dark and stormy afternoon....

In East Tennessee. Around 4:30 this afternoon jumped I into the car to run to the store to get some bread. The wind had started blowing and I looked down the valley and no sign of a storm. I then looked over the mountain and here it came. Around here if the storm comes up the valley it usually is not very bad, but if it comes over the mountain you better look out. I ran into the store and got the bread but before I was out the sky had opened up. Man did it rain! Thunder was rolling, rain was pouring and the lights were flickering. Waited on the porch of the store for the rain to slow down some, never did so I ran for the car.
    I get in the car and my cell phone rings, the electricity was out at home. The boys were calling for food. The electricity was still on in the south part of town so I went to KFC to get some supper. With supper in the car I started home.(home was only two miles away.) On the way home I saw a wreck, a car was t-boned, looked bad. So now the rain was raining, the thunder was rolling, I was crying because the wreck looked so bad.
    As I get into town the rain let up and the streets were covered with leaves and tree limbs. As I pass my house I notice that DS18 had left all of his car windows down. I left my car in the drive because the power was out and I could not get the garage door open. Walked into the back door and handed the boys their supper and told DS18 about his windows, now he is saying some things he should not say.
    Just then there was a knock on the door. I thought it was just the boys Dad coming to prick up DS16. It was my Daddy (now my Dad is mostly home bound because he only has 28% lung capacity and has a hard time getting around). I go to the door and he said, "Where is the fire and why are you still in the house!" About this time I hear the fire trucks coming up the street. Two fire trucks, three police cars and several firemen in their private cars are all in the street at my house pulling on their gear. I'm running down the front walk yelling "It's OK, there is no fire!". Do they believe me, no. They have to check the house, like I'm going to let my house burn down. Because the power was off my alarm system sent a false signal to the company. The monitoring co. tried to call our house but because there was no power none of the phones worked, so they called Daddy and the Fire Department. I tell everyone That I am so sorry and they leave.
    The neighbors are all out seeing what is going on and I have to explain fifty thousand times. I live in a Historical District, circa 1890, so all of the houses are close together, if one house goes the rest are in danger. Show is over at my house.
    Since the power is still off and there is nothing to do we head out on foot to see what else happened. One street was blocked by a downed tree, one house was covered with a downed tree. We have some big historical trees to go with our historical houses. But everyone is fine.
    My DS18 left to go play tennis while we I was walking around the neighborhood.(just 6 miles down the road it had not rained) He stopped us and said that the doorknob had come off when he closed the door, could we get in the house? I said sure and went on walking. We get back home and find the doorknob on the porch and try to open the door. No luck the bar that the knob goes on is pushed to far in the door. So I told my DS16 that I would just go around to the back door because I had not locked it before we left. He gets this strange look and tells me that he had double locked the back door, no way in. By this time my next door neighbor had gotten home and I was telling him what had happened and that we could not get in because the door knob had fallen off. No problem he says, he runs in and comes out with a door knob that will fit my door, and gets us inside.
    About that time the EX shows up to get DS16. I go inside to a still dark house wondering what I am going to do. No TV, no computer, no SR, no light and no air. I decide to hang some Victorian hat hooks that I bought last week up in my room. I had everything I need, so off I go.. This should have been easy. Drive the "no wall stud hangers" in the wall, take out the screw and hand the hook. Something went wrong with one of the "no wall stud hanger" things and now I have this hole in my bedroom wall, I say things I should not have said.
    Go back outside because it is hot in the house. Talk with the neighbors and start picking the tree limbs up. We see a utility truck go by! We start yelling, "Don't forget us!". Then we realize that we can hear someones air conditioning unit on! Everyone back in the house.
    I call Dad and his power is still not on. I started making arrangements for him to come to our house to stay the night because he has to use oxygen at night. About that time his power comes on. By now it is 10:30 and I still have laundry to do. Laundry is now in the dryer and I'm ready for bed.
    The end of another peaceful day in Cornstalk Heights!
    I know that this whole loooong story has nothing to do with anything, but just had to share.
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Wow did you ever just put my crappy day into perspective. May your tomorrow be less eventful (or at least have a few more positive events)
    Sunshine Rewards

All I can say is WOW.
    <Sunshine Rewards

WOW! What a night! I'm glad that everything and everyone is okay.

TTFN
    Marianne

OMG, what a day!! I'm glad everyone is ok, and I hope today is filled w/ .

Those were some wicked storms last night, eh?

Where in East TN are you?

I live in Dandridge and work in Morristown.
    Sunshine Rewards

I'm in Harriman. On the other side of Knoxville from you.You are the 4th from Tennessee I have found on SR.
    So far the day has been just beautiful, hope it stays that way.
    Sammielynn

Quote Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
    I'm in Harriman. On the other side of Knoxville from you.You are the 4th from Tennessee I have found on SR.
    So far the day has been just beautiful, hope it stays that way.
    Cool! My DH is from Kingston, so I know exactly where you are.
    Sunshine Rewards

Wow. And I thought my day was annoying, simply because we had unusual rains and mugginess....nothing like your day!
    Sunshine Rewards

Sorry your day was so bad but I sure did enjoy reading it very entertaining and glad to see I am not the only one that has "those" kind of days.

Quote Originally Posted by experiment_627 View Post
    Cool! My DH is from Kingston, so I know exactly where you are.
    How funny, so many from good old East Tennessee.
    Sammielynn