Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hanging Tough in San Antonio

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default Hanging Tough in San Antonio

Can you guess what this trip report will be about I wanted to do a mini-trip report since people are always asking about San Antonio as a vacation destination. Hopefully this will help.

Vacationers:
    Cate a 27 year old who never outgrew her love for NKOTB and is always looking for a way to go on vacation
    Mikki 27 year old sorority sister of Cate. We met on move in day my junior year as we were going to share a 4 bedroom "dorm" room. She is also an avid NKOTB lover.
    Dates: Oct 17th & 18th 2008

This trip started back in June when NKOTB announced their reunion tour. I really really wanted to go and just happened to mention it to Mikki because she is a boyband fan. We bonded in our dorm room over NSYNC so I knew there was a chance she'd agree. Plus she loves concerts. So Mike was praying he would get spared and I was just praying someone would go with me.

As things would work out, Mikki was super excited and wanted to go so it was all set. We picked the San Antonio concert because it would be on a Friday night and we could both take the day off of work and make it a long weekend. Mikki had never been to San Antonio so we thought it would be great too.

And the planning begins.
    Last edited by m 'n c; 10-20-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

You may or may not remember all of the hoopla from June when we started a few threads about NKOTB, tickets, and appearances on various morning shows. So I'll give a brief overview of how tickets went.

I was super excited and couldn't sleep for fear I'd oversleep the 10am Ticketmaster opening for business. So I was up by 7:30 am and logged into Ticketmaster. And I sat and refreshed for hours until 10 am hit and off I went to get tickets for the show. We ended up with Section 6 Row 6 Seats 7 & 8 which was the middle of the row. I was a tad disappointed in our tickets because I was on and ordering at 10am. I thought for sure we'd get floor but we got the level right off the floor and on the left side of the stage. Oh well. We were going even if it was going to cost a small fortune.

I made mention to my parents of the reunion and that Mikki and I would be attending the concert and when my family came to visit me in July, they brought me one of my old NKOTB shirts! I laughed a little and then started contemplating whether I would wear it or not to the concert. I wasn't sure how people would respond to that so I just kept it at the apartment and left it at that.
    Sunshine Rewards

So after months of waiting our trip was finally here. About a week before the planned trip Mikki emailed to ask if I had thought about a hotel room. Umm not really but I can deal with that. We decided to use Priceline as Mikki had heard a few good things about it and one of my coworkers had used it and got a bargain of a room in Austin. Plus, after researching hotels in downtown SA I knew we would have to try it or risk staying in a crappy hotel because the prices were really really high.

So I pressed my luck and got the 4 star rated Westin on the Riverwalk for $140 a night (instead of the $300+ price tag they were asking)! Thanks Priceline and thanks to SR for the credits I received from Priceline.

Mikki arrived Thursday night which was the day of the concert and we took her to get "authentic" Mexican food at...

Taco Cabana. She arrived too late for us to do anything else and she has never eaten at a Taco C so she was super excited. It's funny how you hear about things that you don't have and get excited to try them. When Mike and I were at Disney we talked to a CM in line who heard we were from Houston and wanted to go visit her friend there so she could try Jack in the Box of all things

So at 11pm we were eating Taco C and very happy. We went to bed soon after so that we could wake up bright and early to get on the road.
    Sunshine Rewards

That's so cute your family brought you the t-shirt.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

So I awoke the day of the concert bright and early thanks to Mike. Mike had to drive to Beaumont which is an hour and a half away and thus had to leave the apartment by 7am. So Cate was up at 7am and couldn't get back to bed. So I used this time to pack my overnight bag and get ready while Mikki slept peacefully in the living room.

I picked out an outfit to wear on the drive over, an outfit for the concert, and then one for the next day on the drive back. I wasn't too sure if I wanted the NKOTB shirt my parents brought but something in the back of my mind was saying bring it so at the last minute I threw it in.

I did a few more things around the apartment while Mikki got ready and off we went to Target to pick up some Starbucks for the road and a copy of The Block cd which neither one of us had and away we went!

I don't remember the drive being this long when I ride with Mike but boy was it a long drive. By the time we got there I was starving and ready to eat but we had to find the hotel first. And that took 30 minutes because we kept passing it up. The entrance was literally a hole in the wall and I kept blocking too early. 30 minutes later we figure out the issue and get checked in.

Boy was our hotel awesome. It was right on the River and we had a Riverview. It is the Westin Riverwalk Hotel if you ever need to stay downtown. I would recommend Priceline

Enough of the room! It is time to explore San Antonio. We were approximately "3 blocks" from the Alamo and Mikki wanted to see it. I have only seen it once before and that was 3 years ago when Mike and I evacuated for Hurricane Rita. It was a blazing 106 degrees so we didn't stay very long and we have yet to go back. Mikki had heard it was the most anti-climatic tourist attraction out there but something she needed to see at least once.

So off we went walking and I was starving. So what does Mikki think of the Alamo? Do I ever get to eat? Will we make it to the concert on time? Will we even find it? and most importantly, Does the shirt still fit after 17 years?
    Sunshine Rewards

Sounds great! When did you guys go? We took the kids we we got back from Las Vegas. I believe it was July 25-29.

I agree, the hotels are extremely high!!!

Can't wait to hear more!

Love the new picture!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by Blessing and Miracle View Post
    Sounds great! When did you guys go? We took the kids we we got back from Las Vegas. I believe it was July 25-29.

I agree, the hotels are extremely high!!!

Can't wait to hear more!

Love the new picture!
    Oops should add that to the first post. We went this weekend the 17th and 18th. Just stayed one night before coming back to Houston.
    Sunshine Rewards

boy I thought Joey was so cute back then. So how is he today?!
    <Sunshine Rewards

It was a lovely spring day in San Antonio that day. A nice little breeze mixed in with a cool 85 degrees. Our walk wasn't too bad but I would beg to differ with the people on Trip Advisor that said our hotel was just 3 blocks to the Alamo. As we got closer I kept asking Mikki if she saw the Alamo yet. She was looking all around but hadn't spotted it yet.

We finally arrive to the spot that I know that "represents" the Alamo and it is confirmed that it is a tad anti-climatic once you see the Alamo. We had a good time walking around and reading some of the signs so that I could learn some Texas history while we were there. I have on my to-do list to purchase a 7th or 8th grade Texas history textbook but I have yet to do so.

We made it to the gift shop and I found an iron cake pan in the shape of the State of Texas!! So I bought it and I am saving it till the day of the wedding to give to Mike. I think I'm going to make brownies in it for him and the groomsmen and then that takes care of the grooms cake issue. Since I can make the cake in the shape of TX anytime we want, I'm voting for the other cake that I could never make.

So after we finished shopping we decided to head back towards the food area. Mikki had coordinated with another sorority sister of ours who recently moved there to meet up with us after she got off of work. I didn't know so I was freaking out slightly because it was 3 pm and I was starving. Luckily Rachelle was off of work and knew of a place to take us.

We kept passing this landmark on the way to the Alamo and back. Had we known that the restaurant was nearby we would have eaten a little sooner.

This is a sculpture that is representative of a torch and is an interpretation of how one artist views the friendship between San Antonio and Mexico or something like that. Anyway I am use to funky sculptures like this in the middle of downtown (we have some ugly ones here in Houston) but Mikki wasn't so a picture was taken.

We ended up at Casa Rio which is the oldest Tex-Mex restaurant on the river and the first restaurant to have river dining. The food was very good and we ended up with a water front table which meant we could feed the ducks with the random corn tortillas brought to your table and chips you didn't want to eat. Salsa was homemade, queso was very smooth, soft tacos were seasoned quite well, and the ritas were great. We all opted for the peach ritas which were just great.

Mikki and I with our peach ritas. I also had a raspberry rita. It was ok but tasted more like a mixed drink than a rita if that makes sense.

Rachelle making use of the tortillas

I mention the food because the restaurant across the way - Casa Ole (same name as the chain but not the same people) - is not very good. Everything tastes like it came out of a can or a bag. Nothing is fresh or homemade over there except for the fruit ritas which have pureed fruit in them instead of syrup.

So after a few hours of visiting Rachelle ran home and Mikki and I ran to the Westin to get ready for the big night.
    Sunshine Rewards

We got back to the room and the moment of truth had arrived. Do I wear what I had packed for the concert or do I go vintage with the NKOTB tshirt my dad found for me. Would it even fit? I mean I was 10 at the time and 17 years have since passed.

Well Mikki talks me into wearing it. She thought it was the coolest thing and deserved to be worn so I gave in to peer pressure and tried the thing on.

And it Fit!!!

front:

back:

Mikki didn't have a shirt so she just posed with the tickets and parking pass lol

We finished freshening up and hit the hotel lobby. We decided that after a few ritas and our experience earlier driving around downtown that it would not be wise to drive to the concert because we'd probably get lost. Our taxi ended up being $10 each way so it was well worth it and we arrived safely because the route between downtown and the concert wasn't exactly on the up and up. So definitely think about a taxi to get around if you head to SA for vacation and are not familiar with the area.

I was greeted with a few "oh cools" in the lobby with my shirt and at the concert waiting to get in. A few girls our age were waiting with us and went on ebay to get a few vintage mugs for the show - still not sure why - and liked the shirt. We started talking about how long it has been and then I started to think why in the world did I buy an adult medium tshirt when I was 10.

So we thought about it and then remember the greatest fashion trend of the 80s and 90s - the leggins with the oversized shirt bunched up to one side with a scrunchie or banana clip. So it made sense.

So can the NKOTB still sing and dance? Can they do the moves without breaking a hip? Can Jordan still hit those high notes or will they bring him down an octave? Is Joey still the love of my life?

All these questions will be answered when I return from dinner.
    Sunshine Rewards