Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Girl Worth the $$

Default American Girl Worth the $$

My DD wants an American Girl doll (just like you) for Xmas but my DH thinks its way to expensive. Her cousin has one and brought it when we went to WDW and she also wants the Minnie outfit from WDW. So, my question to all you American Girl fans...is it worth the money?
    Last edited by howdyfrtx; 10-29-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    Cindy

Sunshine Rewards

I still have the Felicity I got 17 years ago for Xmas. I'd say they're worth it. also, the prices haven't gone up that much-Felicity was $82 in 1991 when I got her.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by howdyfrtx View Post
    My DD wants an American Girl doll (just like you) for Xmas but my DH thinks its way to expensive. Her cousin has one and brought it when we went to WDW and she also wants the Minnie outfit from WDW. So, my question to all you American Girl fans?.is it worth the money?
    I don't think it's so much the price of the doll (although it's obviously more than other dolls) but the accessories/clothes/books/etc. that they're going to want. My DD is 10 and never asked for one so I'm not a good one to say whether they get played with enough to make it worth the $. I think your question hit the nail on the head. If you're a fan, you'll pay the $. To me, it's just a doll (please don't flame me. )
    Sunshine Rewards

my girls love the AG dolls.....they have many and do play with all of them!! (dd5 & dd soon to be 9)

Although we do have quite a few outfits you can always buy them at craft fairs and Target has a today girl line that fit the AG dolls. Target also has furniture at 1/2 the price.

We are actually very excited because this coming weekend (although we will be in disney) an American Girl Store is opening in MA. We cannot wait to visit (and I can't wait to be able to go there myself and buy the christmas presents minus shipping!!)
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

My daughter saved her money and bought one. She got it right after she turned 6. I would say it is well worth it. She has had it for about 7 months and sleeps with it every night. She also loves to play with her. She has Mia.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

My DD6 has the one I won from here on the auction. I had no problem using my SR credits for it but I think DH would have a fit if he found out I paid that much for a doll with cash. MyDD6 loves Kit and plays with her often, i'm going to get clothes and stuff (either from ebay or Target) for her for Christmas. In another year or 2 if she's still into it I would consider buying her another one, as long as I know she's into it.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks ladies for your reply. I'm still on the fence about it but maybe will go to the AG store in Dallas and have her take a look around. That may be what I need to convince me.
    Cindy

Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I look at it like this. I have spent $100s of dollars on Barbie's that look nothing like my child and probably never will. She has all these pieces of little clothes and shoes that get lost and are useless. Not to mention the room she takes up and I have seen very few meaningful lessons taught by Barbie. In comparison if I spend $100+ once a year on a doll that actually looks like a child my daughters would know and be friends with. She had accessories but they are reasonably sized to reduce the chances of being lost. They have books that come with them that will help to teach my daughters life lessons and they are dolls my girls can keep forever and give to their girls if so inclined. I would never play Barbies with the girls. Just isn't in me LOL but I can see reading the books and watching the movies with my girls. I ordered Mia and Kit for my girls 5 and 7 for Christmas this year and I can't wait. It is a personal choice to say the least and I just decided I was tired of these disposable toys they have been getting that they lose parts and pieces to and don't play with anymore. I am hoping these become something they adore and play with and want to have with them all of the time. JMO of course.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by howdyfrtx View Post
    My DD wants an American Girl doll (just like you) for Xmas but my DH thinks its way to expensive. Her cousin has one and brought it when we went to WDW and she also wants the Minnie outfit from WDW. So, my question to all you American Girl fans...is it worth the money?
    For me, it's not so much a question of is it worth the money but I have X dollars to spend on Christmas and if she wants an AG doll versus 12 barbies or whatever then that is what I am going to get her. My DD (9) has Molly and played with her some, but not as much as I would have expected. She does read all the books and watch the movies and the stories are real life lessons. I love them too!

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    I look at it like this. I have spent $100s of dollars on Barbie's that look nothing like my child and probably never will. She has all these pieces of little clothes and shoes that get lost and are useless. Not to mention the room she takes up and I have seen very few meaningful lessons taught by Barbie. In comparison if I spend $100+ once a year on a doll that actually looks like a child my daughters would know and be friends with. She had accessories but they are reasonably sized to reduce the chances of being lost. They have books that come with them that will help to teach my daughters life lessons and they are dolls my girls can keep forever and give to their girls if so inclined. I would never play Barbies with the girls. Just isn't in me LOL but I can see reading the books and watching the movies with my girls. I ordered Mia and Kit for my girls 5 and 7 for Christmas this year and I can't wait. It is a personal choice to say the least and I just decided I was tired of these disposable toys they have been getting that they lose parts and pieces to and don't play with anymore. I am hoping these become something they adore and play with and want to have with them all of the time. JMO of course.
    Agree completely with Janet.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post

Wow, good point to bring to my DH 's attention. We too have spent tons of money on barbies and accessories. You would be a great sales person for AG because you sold me on it. I think will still go take a look at the store since we've never been. Thank you!
    Cindy

Sunshine Rewards