Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinning Plan 2008

Default Dinning Plan 2008

Will you do the dinning plan with the new changes? Basically for 2008 the gratuity and appetizer are no longer included. They do however have the deluxe dinning plan that includes 3 meals and 2 snacks for the low low price of $69.99/night. The packages are available for booking today.
    my way to

Sunshine Rewards

I won't be doing the new dining plan. We typically only eat one TS meal a day so the deluxe plan is definitely out of the question. I think that the elimination of the appetizer and gratuities is a deal breaker for us. We could have lived without getting the appetizer but eliminating tips from it means about another $20 in charges for us. I will have to really sit down and work up the numbers further but I think for 2008 it will be no dining plan for us (unless they offer it for free again and then we will take it!)

I have to admit that what the change in plan does for us as well is makes staying off-site a much more attractive option. We loved the dining plan so much and it is one of the main reasons for us staying on-site.
    Lynn
    Sunshine Rewards

I think a lot of people will start staying off sits again. I was trying to decide between the dinning plan and the disney dinning experience and this definitely made my decision easy. I will do the DDE.
    my way to

Sunshine Rewards

*Big Heavy Sigh*...........I feel the same way. I am really disappointed with the changes to the Dining Plan. I understand that Disney is in the business to make money, but jeez, the new Dining Plans are an insult to the consumer intelligence (although, I am amazed at the amount of people on the DIS that are excited about the new Deluxe Dining Plan). We enjoy the Dining Plan because it allows us not to have to budget during vacation. I don't have to worry about how much cash I carry for the day, or how much cash I have spent vs. how much I have left. We make all our ADR's ahead of time, and then all we have to do is show up and eat. With having to pay tips, that takes a lot of the "value" out of the Dining Plan for us. I suppose with the new plan you could eat all buffets (no noticeable loss of appetizer, plus minimal tip), but that would get old after awhile.

I just don't understand why Disney likes to take something that is working and wring every last penny out of it until it is unrecognizable.

ETA - The more I think about it, Disney has gotten every penny of my vacation dollar the last 3 years. ME and the free dining plan has kept us a captive audience. And since we are not paying for our food, we have been very willing to spend more on alcohol, souvies and tours. But now that we will have to budget, that won't happen.
    Last edited by Hannahsmom; 08-05-2007 at 11:03 AM.
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

We'll still do it because we like the all inclusiveness of a disney vacation. I think we'll just do more character buffets as we like seeing the characters and shouldn't have a problem not getting enough variety. For us convience and not having to worry too much on how much we are spending on vacation is more important than worrying about maximizing the plan to get the most savings.

I think I'm going to get one of those coupon holders and start putting in cash for each restaurant that we go to for the tips based on what the menu prices on allearsnet.com says the prices are so that we can have the cash saved up and ready to go.
    Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by zane_anthony View Post
    I think a lot of people will start staying off sits again. I was trying to decide between the dinning plan and the disney dinning experience and this definitely made my decision easy. I will do the DDE.
    I thought I had read that the DDE will have a 18% gratuity added on the bill. Has it worked this way in the past? I know you get 20% off at various restaurants, which includes alcohol, but was the gratuity automatically added in the past?
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m4travels View Post
    I thought I had read that the DDE will have a 18% gratuity added on the bill. Has it worked this way in the past? I know you get 20% off at various restaurants, which includes alcohol, but was the gratuity automatically added in the past?
    Not that I know of but I guess I need to look into that.
    my way to

Sunshine Rewards

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

Unless there is a new change...we used the DDE two weeks ago and no gratuity was added on. Once we were a party of 8 (we had friends with us) and they added the tip. Not sure if I agree b/c two were infants who didn't order but it was what we would have left if not less. We usually leave the 20% that was taken off with the DDE.

ex $100 meal - 20%= $80 We would leave the $20 as the tip = $100
    Sunshine Rewards

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

We used the DDE on our last 2 trips and never had the gratuity added on. When the bill came, we just handed them our credit card and the DDE card. The 20% was deducted from our bill.
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

Just got off the phone with DDE and parties of 6 or more will have the gratuity added, those under 6 won't.

Wishing all a wonderful week!
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards