Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dinning Plan 2008

We were planning staying onsite in 2009 but given the changes to the dining plan we will most likely stay offsite. Given the large size of my family, the tip for dining TS will be considerable, so for us not worth it. We wouldnt ever do the deluxe plan since we had a hard time eating everything with just the 1cs/1ts/1s per day. We had a ton of snacks left over and a few cs also. We ended up with bags of snacks the day we checked out. Having the dining plan was the deciding factor to stay onsite.

Sunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

We actually will probably try the new deluxe dining plan at least once. We like hot breakfasts and dinners so having 2 TS a day wouldn't be difficult for us. We probably wont save money on this plan but the convienence of it and the ability to eat what we want when we want or appealing to me. We usually plan our vacations to be all out do whatever comes to mind trips so that we save up an outrageous amount of spending money and have every possible expense prepaid that we can. Once we get there we can just go and do and not worry about money. I also have 3 kids but they are all under 5 so I wont have to worry about any children paying as adults. That may make a difference when the time comes.
    Sunshine Rewards

For our first WDW trip we were planing to stay offsite untill i found out about the dining plan 2005 and we paid for the dinning plan and stayed on site, What we thouth would be a once in a lifetime trip has turned in the 4 trip,
    Every year we have returned for the free dinning because the food was so good and the plan was so simple to use, and budget for, but with the 2008 changes. Any chance of a 2008 trip is way way way up in the air!
    -NOn DisBoards
    Next WDW: POP 09.04-14.08 & Free Dining
    Past WDW: 04.01, ASMO 07.05, 09.05, 09.06, 09.07.

I'm glad we're going in 2007 because I don't like the chaanges to the dining plan.

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

While I'm bummed that they didn't read my recommendation/wish that those on the DDP would get a choice of appetizer or dessert, I'm still not sure what we'll do next year.

I'll have to do some number crunching because we're going at a different time of year & would have to pay for the DDP for sure (we've been lucky to get the free dining 3 years in a row now). While I'm intrigued at having the Deluxe Plan & could see the value of it (pricewise), I just don't know how we'd fit two TS everyday & honestly, for us that would be the only way it would make financial sense...which then gets into the "get the most out of your money" mentality & I don't want to do that either...too much work!!

So I guess it's just more planning & figuring out on what we'll do! But I don't mind!! :0)
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Quote Originally Posted by llgray16 View Post
    I won't be doing the new dining plan. We typically only eat one TS meal a day so the deluxe plan is definitely out of the question. I think that the elimination of the appetizer and gratuities is a deal breaker for us. We could have lived without getting the appetizer but eliminating tips from it means about another $20 in charges for us. I will have to really sit down and work up the numbers further but I think for 2008 it will be no dining plan for us (unless they offer it for free again and then we will take it!)

I have to admit that what the change in plan does for us as well is makes staying off-site a much more attractive option. We loved the dining plan so much and it is one of the main reasons for us staying on-site.
    I agree with you. I could have lived without the appetizers, but the gratuity is the deal break for us too. I am glad that we decided to stay onsite in October so we can enjoy it, since we normally stay at our Hilton Timeshare...I was looking forward to more times onsite, but the dining plan as it stands now is the only reason we are staying onsite.

I cannot believe people on the budget board are excited about the premium plan, that is a lot of dough and WAY too much food...as if the current plan already isn't.

I really am concerned about the servers, they are the ones who are REALLY going to get the short end of the stick. My SIL called and was complaining about the changes and she said that she doesn't feel bad at all to stiff a waitress and I am sad to say she isn't the only one out there who will do that. I have heard from some people that they felt like they got worse service when they were on the dining plan, well that likely will just keep going down!!

Quote Originally Posted by bs4free View Post
    For our first WDW trip we were planing to stay offsite untill i found out about the dining plan 2005 and we paid for the dinning plan and stayed on site, What we thouth would be a once in a lifetime trip has turned in the 4 trip,
    Every year we have returned for the free dinning because the food was so good and the plan was so simple to use, and budget for, but with the 2008 changes. Any chance of a 2008 trip is way way way up in the air!
    Not likely that it is up in the air since the rates for 2008 has been posted! YUCK

Granted we are not going until January 2009 so things will probably change . . .But if it doesn't we will break our stay between 2 DVC's and the first half we will do the deluxe and plan the expensive dinners for that. Like doing HoopDeeDoo and Cinderellas castle. Then the second half of the trip we will do OOP for cheaper restaurants like the buffets.
    <Sunshine Rewards

We half thought about doing the dining plan next time we go (2 years). But absolutely not now. Someone on the Dis broke it down, where you really do not save anything if you ate at the same places with or without the dining plan (of course it depends on the expensiveness of your restaurant). It sort of breaks even.

With 5 people in the family, and 4 being "Disney adults", it would not be worth it. We will have several nicer off site meals and save money.

I just cannot imagine the deluxe meal plan. That is ALOT of food. Then again, we go in the middle of summer where you are not all that hungry. But we are not that big of eaters to have 2 large meals a day. Plus, we wouldn't want to plan our day around our food choices.

Angela
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

I would absolutely love the deluxe plan and would love to hear Janet's thoughts on it once it's been utilized. If wine can be added that would even make my day (or night!) that much better.

While at home all I have for breakfast is a cup of coffee. Once I'm at work I'll have another cup. That's it until lunch. However, on vacation breakfast is a requirement. If we're at our spot south of the border we either walk into town, cook in the timeshare, or head down to the restaurant onsite for breakfast daily. I'm not svelte by any means but not bulging at the seams either, but I do find that even when eating like this on vacation I've never gained weight (STOP LAUGHING, IT'S TRUE!!!!).

We're going to go with the DDE card for the next 2 visits (Dec '07 and Sept '08) and then possibly try the deluxe plan, if it's available, for one of our trips in '09. It won't be our January trip that year as that's going to be 20-some people (WHY did I invite all the siblings?????) but I'm sure we'll try and fit another one in sometime!
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards