Thread: Slipcovers?

Default Slipcovers?

Does anyone use a slipcover on an arm chair? We're getting the house prepared to have company a lot of the holidays and are looking at the furniture in the basement for possibilities to bring up into the living room. We have a wing chair in the basement that is like 20 years old (thanks, mom!) that is in good shape except for the cover. It's not worth re-covering because we'll eventually get a new chair and get rid of it. But I was thinking to save money and add seating, we could get a slipcover. Do they look cheap? Do they actually work? I don't want to make the room look crappy.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

I think that they may have improved over the years. When the first came out they looked cheap. Now they do have some that are quite expensive that look really nice, but for the price it may not be worth it if you're planning to throw it out anyway. I bought some years ago but can't remember from where, but I'm sure you can find them at Domestications, Sears and Kohls. HTH.
    Sunshine Rewards

I agree. Slipcovers have come a long way, but nice ones can be quite pricey if you are only planning on using it for the holidays. I have seen on trading spaces that the designers sometimes will use that thick batting under the slip cover which makes it look more professional, although I've never tried it. If you do decide to go with a slipcover, be sure to get a fitted one, not a 'throw' because the ones you just throw over do not stay put at all. I use the fitted ones in my informal family room and I do find myself fixing them constantly because my kids manage to pull them off. I have heard that stuffing a few rolled up magazines down around the cushions helps keep it in place, but again, I haven't gotten around to trying it.

Good luck!
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
    I agree. Slipcovers have come a long way, but nice ones can be quite pricey if you are only planning on using it for the holidays. I have seen on trading spaces that the designers sometimes will use that thick batting under the slip cover which makes it look more professional, although I've never tried it. If you do decide to go with a slipcover, be sure to get a fitted one, not a 'throw' because the ones you just throw over do not stay put at all. I use the fitted ones in my informal family room and I do find myself fixing them constantly because my kids manage to pull them off. I have heard that stuffing a few rolled up magazines down around the cushions helps keep it in place, but again, I haven't gotten around to trying it.

Good luck!
    Hhmm, I haven't heard about the batting or the magazines. That's a good idea. I wouldn't mind holiday coverings for the family room. Tricia have you found any yet?
    Sunshine Rewards

I found some at Kohls, Target, and Sears. Now I'm just trying to figure out if they will work.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

Try the Surefit Outlet Store on Ebay. Always buy from them. Have a nice selection at good prices. Have pets and children and their covers are great

Quote Originally Posted by Miska View Post
    Try the Surefit Outlet Store on Ebay. Always buy from them. Have a nice selection at good prices. Have pets and children and their covers are great
    Cindy just pointed them out to me!! Do you remember how long it took for delivery? They say 5-7 business days. That might be cutting it close for me now.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Love the Smurfs

Thats about right on delivery time. Sometimes they suprise me and come sooner. They do have the best quality and prices