Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wii Game Review Thread?

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default Wii Game Review Thread?

Anyone up for a Wii Game review thread? It seems like a bunch of us have one or just got one and I am curious about a few games that are out and whether to buy them or not. Maybe we could do a review thread here that would help us know what games are good/fun?

As a reminder: If you like a review, make sure to buy the game through a SR merchant like TRU, GameStop, Walmart, etc.

I'll start with a game I hadn't heard much about before but I bought it in the Toys R Us sale back in October/November. The game is Smarty Pants and it is a trivia game. You type in the ages of the players (up to 4 people can play) and then you take turns spinning the wheel for categories and questions. Somehow the game knows to change up the difficulty so that everyone playing has a chance to win (if you are playing with kids). There are 5 rounds and it takes about 20 minutes to play an entire game. The categories are like Trivial Pursuit but more recent and "hip". You also have bonus cards that you can play if you don't like the category or want to steal questions from people. It is pretty interactive because we had to play tug of war and dance to change categories or to get bonus point multipliers.

So I would rank this a 5 out of 5 especially if you aren't too good with playing games like me and like trivia type games.
    Sunshine Rewards

Outdoor Adventure with the game pad. Well kids had it out and wanted to play with me. Well I must tell you, I should have put on shoes and a better bra. Lots of running jumping rope, logs rolling that you have to jump over. I have not got a chance to play it again to try everything out because the kids will not share but school will be back in next week, so I can try the wii fit out that is still in the box. They are obsessed with Carnival Games.

Sunshine Rewards

DD got a Wii for Christmas and she and her dad have been playing Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones non stop!!! One day they played for six hours!!! So I would give both of them 5 stars!!

DD has also been obsessed with MySims - it's the kids version of Sims - she is building a town and loves it!

None of these games are the active Wii games - I think I might need to purchase some of the more active games!! Outdoor Adventure sounds great!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

Our only new game this Christmas was Carnival Games and everyone LOVES it! The kids plays it a lot, as well as everyone who has visited. My parents played each other on Christmas. All of our guests played each other on New Years. It is all mini-games so even if you are not good at one thing, you can be good at something else.

The irony is that I was the one who bought it and I am the only one who hasn't had a chance to play it yet!

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Mario Kart is still my favorite game. I keep discovering new shortcuts and my DD explained how to unlock new tracks. It has definitely kept the interest of DH and me. However, if you like Carnival Games, you might want to try Carnival Minigolf. It is also a lot of fun.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

I bought Carnival Mini Golf for me and it is quite a bit of fun. My son who said he wasn't going to play it because it was stupid has managed to win almost all the clubs and unlocked most of the courses. I have been spending my time on Animal Crossing City Folks. I need to try out the Outdoor Challenge and Wii Ski this weekend.

The kids are also loving Rock Band 2 and my youngest loves Lego Batman
    Sunshine Rewards

We're enjoying Playground Games (dodgeball rules!) and my girls really love Hannah Montana and Disney HSM Sing It. Mario Kart is an obvious good one (so addicting). We just had some friends over and all played Party Games - shuffle board was hilarious with 4 of us (2 teams)...got a little competitive, LOL. Carnival mini golf is definitely a fun one too!

So far...the only "dud" we've come across is the M&M Kart Racing, which I kind of knew would be based on the reviews, but it came in a combo pack. It's not terrible, just really hard to maneuver the cars, unlike Mario Kart. **Update 1/03/09 on M&M Kart** - in an attempt to convince myself that this game is worth enjoying, I spent time last night trying to master it. I can officially say it's HORRIBLE and not worthy of any stars. The tracks are very very short and ridiculously hard to maneuver and hard to figure out what direction you're supposed to drive in. When you turn in the wrong direction, or bump off a wall, it's nearly impossible to turn around. You can't just turn your way out of it - you have to stop, back up, turn as you're backing up, and then proceed forward. It's really terrible. My DD8, a Mario Kart pro got extremely frustrated with it and won't play it at all.
    Last edited by jl8595; 01-03-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: update Mario Kart review
    Lori

Sunshine Rewards 8x Super Member

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Well Mike is done studying for the night and is back on the Wii. His game of choice is Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. It is from what I can tell a battle/fight game where you run around looking for something and then fight the bad guys when you run into them. At some point you fight against Darth Vader. I really can't tell too much more about the game but he loves it and it looks too complicated for me to ever play even if we got the light saber attachments that are available lol.

So he would rate it a 4 because he is still getting use to the Wii and the controls and sensor bar.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Ok some of these are based on DS 9 1/2's rating... He would play video games all day if I let him.

Star Wars - The Force Unleashed -- 5 (He says this is the best game yet)
    NHL N2K 09 -- 5 (One of the better hockey games, get to drive the Zamboni which he loves )
    Pokemon Battle Revolution -- 5 (This is a great multi-player game for those who have pokemon on their DS's. He plays with his 5 yo sister)
    Thrillville -- 4 (He has this on PS2 also enjoys it on both)
    Guitar Hero & Guitar Hero World Tour with Drums - 5 ( He loves it but so does the rest of the family)

My rating on the following games are based on what DH and I have played and how I see the kids play well with them.

Mario Party - 5 (great family/party game)
    Mario Kart - 5 (same as above)

DS did not like Monkey Ball - 1

DD loves HSM Sing It - 5

We have a bunch of other racing "no name" games but these are the most popular. I may talk to DS tomorrow to get the rating on the rest.

I bought all these games at either TRU or Target on sale!
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Well Mike is done studying for the night and is back on the Wii. His game of choice is Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. It is from what I can tell a battle/fight game where you run around looking for something and then fight the bad guys when you run into them. At some point you fight against Darth Vader. I really can't tell too much more about the game but he loves it and it looks too complicated for me to ever play even if we got the light saber attachments that are available lol.

So he would rate it a 4 because he is still getting use to the Wii and the controls and sensor bar.
    He needs to play with DS then, DH stopped bc he couldn't get used to it and Tyler was beating him pretty bad!
    Sunshine Rewards