Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tried any new recipes lately?

I made a stir fry that was very low in fat & points.

Take 2 T of oil and heat in a skillet. Add cut up chicken pieces and cook over high heat, tossing regularly, just until they start to brown. Sprinkle a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing on top of the chicken and toss until equally distributed. If it gets dry while cooking, add a little chicken broth. Add thawed broccoli/cauliflower/carrot mix and cook until chicken is done. Serve over rice or couscous. I went very heavy on the veggies and had 1/2 cup couscous and counted it out for 8 points for a HUGE plate.

It was very fast but the next time I make it, I'll cook the veggies separately. My kids didn't care for them in the ranch flavor. My sister made this last night with a packet of Italian dressing mix and she said it was tasty.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    It is the ONLY crockpot book I use.
    Thanks...I will look into this...didn't realize it was a crockpot book. I need to use mine more often. I look forward to your favorites too. I think you have kick me in the butt to get cooking more....I think you do in a rut sometimes...and of course...my tastebuds go on strike sometimes.
    Marilyn

Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Default Pasta W/ Roasted Veggies

Use any fresh veggies that you like. I usually use zucchini, yellow squash, colored (any) peppers , fresh garlic and cherry tomatoes. Chop the veggies into big chunks, coat lightly with olive oil, salt & pepper. Spread onto baking sheet. Roast them in oven (425) for 15-25 min. depending on how soft you like your veggies. You need to make sure that the tomatoes are in long enough to "pop" open. While they are in the oven, cook any wheat pasta that you like. I usually use penne. When all are done, mix together. Make sure to include all the veggie juice on the baking sheet. Sometimes I add a tad more oil if there is not enough juice.

You can add any fresh herbs that you like as well. Sometimes I add chix too.
    Your only points are from the pasta, and if you add extra oil or chix.

Sunshine Rewards

Default Chicken veggie Stew

Cook chix breast in small amount of olive oil. Cover pan so that it steams/sautees. While chix is cooking, chop veggies. I usually use onions, peppers, and garlic. Take chix out of pan and cook veggies in chix juices. Chop/shred chix and put back in with cooked veggies. Add fresh spinach and let wilt. Then add a can of diced tomatoes. I like to use fire roasted. The juices from everything will create a little broth. It will be more like a stew than a soup.

I plan to add carrots and celery to my veggies next time.

Sunshine Rewards

Default Veggie Sauce

Sautee any veggies that you would like. I usually use onions, peppers, garlic and carrots. Once they are all soft, put them in food processor. Add a can of tomatoe puree. Mix together. Add tomato juice until at desired consitancy. Add salt, pepper or any fresh herbs to taste.

I always liked to put this sauce on meat or pasta. It's just a way to get your veggies and spice up that boring old chix breast!

Sunshine Rewards

Any one else have some good recipes

Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I made cheap and quick crawfish fetticuni the other day. I took 2 packs of lipton alfredo noodles and followed the cooking instructions and also dumped in a pound of crawfish tails that cooked while the noodles boiled. It was pretty tasty. I would think you could easily put in small shrimps instead of crawfish and it would come out good too. Next time I am doing 3-4 packets of those noodles because they were only 2 servings in each so it was a lot of crawfish and not so many noodles.

4 WW points
    Sunshine Rewards

Default Fantastic burritos

1 can rinsed black beans
    1 cup salsa
    1 tsp cumin
    3/4 to 1 tsp chili powder

heat and slightly mash beans while cooking. When hot, place 1/2 cup mixture in warmed tortilla. 1.5 points for 1/2 cup of the mixture. Then count your tortilla.

I may have found this over at Dotti's and it is AWESOME! Took all of 3 minutes to throw together. I had 1 oz. of cooked turkey breast that I threw in and topped with 1 T of sour cream for a 6 point tortilla and 1 point salad. Very filling. You could add cheese if you'd like. I need to find some different tortillas that are lower in points.
    Sunshine Rewards

andrea2289 is offline I might even start my Sunshining with a big bowl of Baskin-Robbins Chubby Hubby

I am still a pecker!

One of our go-to cheap meals:

Saute finely chopped onions, celery, carrots and garlic until soft (use the new frozen recipe beginnings to make this even easier), add a can of diced tomatoes, a touch of Italian seasoning, a quart of chicken stock and about 2 cups of dried lentils (rinsed). Cook until soft, usually 30-45 minutes, add a handful of broken spaghetti and cook until pasta is just tender. Add water if needed while the pasta is cooking. Season with salt and pepper. We eat this with parmesan cheese (make the dish in my opinion) and French bread. I love this dish because it is very light, but very 'hearty' and satisfying.

Variation: You can also add a package of diced Light Smoked sausage, and saute with the veggies, if you want meat (my husband like this). I am now in love with the Healthy Ones brand of packaged meat!
    Last edited by andrea2289; 02-05-2009 at 03:30 PM.
    ANDREA - 5x SUPERMEBER
        Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I have this book too but I've never made anything from it ...I know, shame on me. I have the regular Fix It book too and I've made a few things from that one. I'm going to try this Taco Soup recipe, sounds really good. Any other suggestions from this book that are tried and true that you have made?
    I have made the cran-apple chicken on page 13 of the Fix it and Forget it Lightly. It is very good. At this time of the year though it is a little difficult to find real cranberries, and this dish is really NOT the same with whole berry sauce, since it makes it very sweet. Still ok, but a little too sweet for me. If you have any frozen cranberries, or can find any this recipe is easy and good.

I am going to try the taco soup recipe. It sounds good!
    Sunshine Rewards