Thread: Fake NYC trip report...

Default Fake NYC trip report...

Now that work exams are over (w00t!) I can return to my much neglected Vegas TR, but first-my fake NYC trip report from when we went for my birthday.
    We took the train, it was the first time we'd taken it round trip. It was fairly efficient, and it was nice not paying for parking at our hotel.
    We stayed at the Hilton times square, we got a great deal, and it was really nice being in the middle of the action. (and accross the street from a Hello Kitty store) We walked around Times Square-I got the marquee at the /hershey's store to light up with my name (for $5-I'll post pictures when I get home). We ate at Rockerfeller Center. We headed up 5th ave (for the World of Disney), and I commented on how nice it was seeing Celtics stuff at the NBA store window. Mom had been wanting to get Mordie a Celtics hoodie for his birthday, and we found one on sale there. World of Disney was great, I got a birthday button and met Pluto and Donald.
    I met some friends from high school at a Cosi near grandcantral, then headed off to dinner at the Mesa grill.
    The restaurant week menu there was great-I had a soup, stuffed chili, and a chocolate flan (with a candle in it ). We took a cab to the theatre. Mary Poppins is great, if you can get cheap seats I recommend it.
    Saturday we'd discussing doing the tour that goes behind the scenes at Wicked, but we couldn't get a straight answer about tickets from anyone). We grabbed breakfast at Starbuck's (I had a cupcake) and went to TKTS. Honestly, TKTS wasn't all that great-they had Little Mermaid tickets for $70, and Mama Mia for $90-I do better with Playbill.com codes. We went to Dylan's Candy bar (awesome place!) and Bloomingdales, then had lunch at Alfredo's. We had dessert at the Magnolia Bakery, then poked around the NBC store.
    We took the train home-it was a good time.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Now that work exams are over (w00t!) I can return to my much neglected Vegas TR, but first-my fake NYC trip report from when we went for my birthday.
    We took the train, it was the first time we'd taken it round trip. It was fairly efficient, and it was nice not paying for parking at our hotel.
    We stayed at the Hilton times square, we got a great deal, and it was really nice being in the middle of the action. (and accross the street from a Hello Kitty store) We walked around Times Square-I got the marquee at the /hershey's store to light up with my name (for $5-I'll post pictures when I get home). We ate at Rockerfeller Center. We headed up 5th ave (for the World of Disney), and I commented on how nice it was seeing Celtics stuff at the NBA store window. Mom had been wanting to get Mordie a Celtics hoodie for his birthday, and we found one on sale there. World of Disney was great, I got a birthday button and met Pluto and Donald.
    I met some friends from high school at a Cosi near grandcantral, then headed off to dinner at the Mesa grill.
    The restaurant week menu there was great-I had a soup, stuffed chili, and a chocolate flan (with a candle in it ). We took a cab to the theatre. Mary Poppins is great, if you can get cheap seats I recommend it.
    Saturday we'd discussing doing the tour that goes behind the scenes at Wicked, but we couldn't get a straight answer about tickets from anyone). We grabbed breakfast at Starbuck's (I had a cupcake) and went to TKTS. Honestly, TKTS wasn't all that great-they had Little Mermaid tickets for $70, and Mama Mia for $90-I do better with Playbill.com codes. We went to Dylan's Candy bar (awesome place!) and Bloomingdales, then had lunch at Alfredo's. We had dessert at the Magnolia Bakery, then poked around the NBC store.
    We took the train home-it was a good time.
    You want us to pay to see your pictures?
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by catnapfan View Post
    You want us to pay to see your pictures?
    Figured it would keep you quiet.
    The marquee was $5

Heather, did you have to make arrangements in advance for the marquee? DH and I are going this weekend for his annual college buddies reunion. That would be fun to do for DH for Valentine's Day! I had planned on going shopping today but my car has decided to turn on its "Check Engine" light and I'm stuck at home until I can get it looked at. I have NOTHING for him for Valentine's Day and this would be cute to do.

Did you see a show? Looking for a review.

I know we're starting out on Saturday 11:00 a.m. at McSorley's for a few pints. Not sure what we'll do Sat. afternoon but we have dinner reservations at Carmine's on the Upper West side. I'd like to see a show on Sunday but can't decide.

Didn't know there was a HK store - did you go in? DD, 10, would be in her glory!

ETA - Nevermind, I went back and see you saw MP. I'm waiting to take the kids to see it...was it as good as they say?
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    I know we're starting out on Saturday 11:00 a.m. at McSorley's for a few pints. Not sure what we'll do Sat. afternoon but we have dinner reservations at Carmine's on the Upper West side. I'd like to see a show on Sunday but can't decide.
    I love Carmine's - I haven't been in years but have really good memories there!!! Enjoy! Wished we lived closer to NYC!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    Heather, did you have to make arrangements in advance for the marquee? DH and I are going this weekend for his annual college buddies reunion. That would be fun to do for DH for Valentine's Day! I had planned on going shopping today but my car has decided to turn on its "Check Engine" light and I'm stuck at home until I can get it looked at. I have NOTHING for him for Valentine's Day and this would be cute to do.

Did you see a show? Looking for a review.

Didn't know there was a HK store - did you go in? DD, 10, would be in her glory!

ETA - Nevermind, I went back and see you saw MP. I'm waiting to take the kids to see it...was it as good as they say?
    I just showed up, and they had no one ahead of me so they could do it then-or you could book it later in the day. The store was great-losts of inexpensive NYC Hello Kitty stuff, plus a bunch of couture stuff (like a $55 keychain-yipes!). I loved MP it was really good (and there's a "weenie"-to use a Walt term at the end that had the whole audience intrigued). There is a lot that's from the books, as opposed to the movie.

We went to NYC last summer and saw Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid, Jersey Boys and Phantom.

Phantom was so so. I've seen it in Providence twice but I wanted to see it on Broadway. Christine was a disappointment and the Phantom wasn't much better.

Mary Poppins was fantastic. I had seen it the year before and it was still fresh and the cast was amazing.

The Little Mermaid was great also. The costumes were fantastic.

Jersey Boys was fabulous. The theater is very small, the tickets were very expensive but I would go again in a heartbeat.

There is a new play with Angela Landsbury. She is only in it for a short time. I was hoping to get to see that. I would love to see her on Broadway. Forgot the name.

I ordered some of the tickets through Broadway.com and they had a special package for dinner at Sardi's. That was great.

We also at at the Rock Cafe at Rockerfeller Plaza. Food was good but it was expensive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards