Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Gift for a 5 YO?

Default Birthday Gift for a 5 YO?

Hello all!

I'm hoping that you can help me out. My step-son is turning 5 this week and we are at a loss at what to get him. He's not with us all that often, so I'm not 100% sure what's "HOT" right now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Catharine
    Sunshine Rewards

Bakugan is pretty hot, but I don't understand it. LOL.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

LOL. Say what? I've never even heard of that! I'll have to check it out
    Sunshine Rewards

Now, it's been awhile...DS is 12, but I think back and he wasn't 6 or 7 until he started getting into the Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon stuff and probably wasn't 8 or 9 until he really loved it and understood the card game. For a long time, he just liked to collect the trading cards. And now, Bakugan is the next generation of that anime-card stuff. He was totally into Buzz Lightyear, Spiderman and superheroes at that age. He also loved playing with his LeapPad, which I think was the best toy they ever had.

That is a tough age - too old for Handy Manny and Little Einsteins and too young for all the video game stuff.
    Last edited by fourfoxesinpa; 04-15-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Even though DD5 is a girl the kids her age including her are into the tek deck stuff. Mini skate boards and they have them at Target.
    Sunshine Rewards

5 is probably a little young for Bakugan.

What is your budget? My first thought would be a Leapster or a Nintendo DS. My DD6 got her DS for her fifth birthday, but she also still plays with her Leapster some. A Leapster is about $50 plus games. A DS is usually $129 plus games.

Outside toys are always good - a new bike or skates.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Five is a hard age. My ds(5) is really not into anything particular. As a another poster said they are starting to get too old for handy mandy and things like that but they just aren't ready for some of the older toys. My son does like to play the leapster and I got him one of those games that plug and play games. I got him the scooby doo game and he was gone through a couple of sets of batteries since Christmas. Other than that my son loves balls - rubber balls that bouse high! I recently picked him up some at Dicks sporting goods and put in his Easter basket. He liked them over everything else - even the candy. Good Luck
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

My older son is turning 5 this week, and he LOVES his Leapster. He is into Star Wars right now, as well as reading and counting, so we got him the Star Wars Leapster game for his birthday. He also loves instruments, so we got him a new digital keyboard, since his last one was literally played until it was destroyed! He also loves anything sports, so a baseball glove, ball, and bat are always good. Soccer balls are a sure bet. I also got him a Buzz Lightyear rocket from Disney where you step on the launcher and it flies up. He saw his cousins had something similar and he really liked it. He has not discovered Bakugan or Pokemon yet, and I am holding off on other video game types for a little longer. Good luck finding something!
    Provided by FLMNetwork.com

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

DS turns 5 next month. He wants playmobil and legos and anything Star Wars. He wouldn't mind Handy Manny stuff at all, and he adores the Little Einsteins. He's also trying to get us to let him watch the "scary" Harry Potter movies, so tastes in 5 year olds vary even inside their own minds! He got a baseball glove when he was 3, but I'm sure he'd just like to USE it more often.
    Sunshine Rewards

Legos, I think most boys that age love them. A Ds is also a great suggestion.
    Sunshine Rewards