Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eco-friendly tips contest ended

Default Eco-friendly tips contest ended

Don't you just love those recyclable shopping bags...we do at SR, that is why we have some we would love to give away, TODAY ONLY.

Since today is Earth Day, there are probably a lot of people like me that aren't really "green" because basically, its lack of knowledge, so, right now, post your best recycling tip in this thread and be eligible to win one of our SR recyclable grocery bags. If we get over 30 posts, I'll give two away instead of just one. These large canvas bags are also great for the beach, and of course, Disney parks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

Staples will give you $3 on your rewards card for every cartridge you recycle in their stores.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Some people bag up leaves in the Fall using huge plastic bags that cost a ton of money and stay around for decades somewhere. We have lots of leaves and have for years recycled them using a gadget called the Leaf Hog by Black and Decker. It vacuums up and chops the leaves which in turn we put back on our garden beds for the winter. By Spring, we have composted leaves and earth worms which the plants love, and we use a lot less water keeping the plants pretty all summer, since all the beds have homemade mulch.

One thing that I do to reuse, recycle, and cut down on paper towel usage, is to cut up old tee shirts that are too yucky to be worn into small rags. I keep some in each bathroom and under my kitchen sink to use for cleaning. This way, they are easy to grab when I need them and I usually can make a roll of paper towels last for two months or so.

I've also switched to using a vinegar/water solution for most of my cleaning jobs. It works great and is environmentally friendly and CHEAP! I even use it as a fabric softener in my washer and instead of jet dry in my dishwasher. I love not having to use strong cleaners around my kids.
    Debbie

My big change last year to be greener was a compost pile in the corner of the backyard. I put all the bits of food we don't eat there (except onions,citrus and meat). This year I have some lovely soil to do my gardening with.

My big change this year was to try a worm bin. I have it in a small rectangular bin under my sink. It is small, and it won't take all my food scraps, so I still use the compost pile in the yard for most of the food scraps, but my worms have done some good work, and I should get a nice small pile of fantastic soil soon. I also put my shredded credit card offers in there for the worms. (you can think I'm crazy... my kids do... mom and her pet worms).

Faith
    Faith
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Proud to be SR member #3129

This year, my family has planted a small garden and installed an outdoor clothesline for drying our clothes. More green for the planet and more green (money) for us!

I recycle my coffee grounds every morning by dumping them on my azaleas, rhodies, holly bushes and other acid loving plants. They them.
    Sunshine Rewards

When your box of cereal is finished and you are recycling the box, don't throw away the "waxy" liner bag inside that the cereal was in. Use the liner for cooling your cookies on when they come out of the oven. No sticking - works great!

I got a homemade 'green' recipe for laundry detergent that I just started using and like - 1 cup grated soap (like Ivory), 1/2 cup washing soda, 1/2 cup Borax. Light load 1 tbsp; heavy/very soiled 2 tbsp. Works great!
    Borax can be used for tons of cleaning jobs; so can baking soda, or vinegar, instead of having to buy chemical stuff.

We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.

One thing we do is to recycle envelopes. When our bills come in and we pay them online instead of sending them snail mail, we keep the envelopes to reuse for coupons, for grocery lists, or for mailing out letters. We used to just throw them away all time. Now, we hold on to them and use them as often as we can.
    Sunshine Rewards