Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we crazy?

Default Are we crazy?

I need your opinions - I know we have lots of WDW experts here!!
    DH and I were planning a trip without the kids for the end of August to use up some DVC points we have left over. We were planning on flying down, renting a car, staying at OKW and SSR, getting the dining plan, and (get ready for it...) NOT going in the parks. I won one of those free Universal tickets during the superbowl, so we thought we might go there instead. Figured our costs there would be the ticket for DH, parking, and various snacks/souvenirs while there.
    Now we've come into some unexpected bills (BOTH cars decided to stop working in the same week!!). We hate the thought of cancelling the trip altogether. Instead we came up with plan B - we would still fly down, stay at OKW and SSR, get the dining plan, but NOT rent a car, and NOT go to Universal. So we'd be there for 5 days, and not go to a park, and stay on grounds. Does that sound crazy?? I figure it will give us a chance to actually relax while there, something we don't often get a chance to do when on "vacation" at WDW! I'm hoping there's enough to see, just at the different resorts and such, that we could do things if we chose to. What do you guys think?? Thanks for any advice!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

I think it sounds like a wonderful plan! There's enough to do for 5 days - of not - you could just relax by the pool. Catch up on your reading. I say go for it!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

A few years ago, we were at the resorts for a few days before our cruise. We didn't go to any parks, but we loved going around and looking at the different resorts. Sounds like a relaxing vacation and if it is somewhere you enjoy being, you will have a great time!
    Sunshine Rewards

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

No, I don't think you are crazy at all. I would still plan on going to OKW and SSR and just enjoy the time together without the kids. I think that it is important to have some adult time and enjoy spending time with your spouse! Hey maybe between now and then you might get lucky and hit the lottery or have some extra money and still get to use that free ticket to Universal.
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

Not crazy, but I would have a hard time staying away from the parks. I do like the idea of checking out all of the resorts. So much to see. Can you get free dining if you don't get park tickets?
    Sammielynn
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by sammielynn View Post
    Not crazy, but I would have a hard time staying away from the parks. I do like the idea of checking out all of the resorts. So much to see. Can you get free dining if you don't get park tickets?
    Hmm - I guess I'm not sure about that?! I guess I just assumed since we were staying on grounds that we could do the dining plan - weren't planning on getting it for free since we are dvc and weren't buying a package regardless. Guess I'll have to look into it some more!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Quote Originally Posted by zoodoyle View Post
    Hmm - I guess I'm not sure about that?! I guess I just assumed since we were staying on grounds that we could do the dining plan - weren't planning on getting it for free since we are dvc and weren't buying a package regardless. Guess I'll have to look into it some more!!
    Not sure how it works w/DVC as I know you can get the DP, but you may have to at least have a one day ticket for each of you to get it. As a non-DVC'er I know it's like that if you have a room only ressie...you do need to make it a "package" to get the DP.

Oh & no, I don't think you're crazy at all...but I would be ITCHING to go to the parks. But there are plenty of restaurants to go to in the resorts to eat at!!
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Nope, I'm totally wrong!! YAY!!

http://www.dvcrequest.com/disney-dining-plan.htm

Disney Dining Plan

Disney Vacation Club does not offer free dining to it's members. After all, we own the property and need no promotions to encourage us to return "home". If there is a free dining promotion offered, you will have to book your room directly with the Disney Travel Company at http://www.disneyworld.com at their current room rates.

When staying as a guest of a DVC Member at a Disney Vacation Club Resort, can participate in the optional cost Disney Dining Plan. You do not need to purchase theme park tickets in order to participate. You will, of course, need theme park tickets if the restaurant you wish to dine at is inside a theme park. Be sure to check out my Theme Park Ticket prices.

If the dining plan is elected, it must be for all persons on the reservation for the total number of nights of the reservation. There are no exceptions to this qualification.

Information quoted from the Disney Web Site.

Applicable taxes are included. Gratuity is not included. Merchandise or photo-imaging products that may be offered at Character Dining Experiences are not included, except at Cinderella's Royal Table.

2009 Basic Dining Plan Brochure
    1 table service meal
    1 quick service meal
    1 snack
    $39.99 adult
    $10.99 child

2009 Deluxe Dining Plan Brochure
    3 meals at any participating location
    2 snacks
    1 refillable mug
    $71.99 adult
    $20.99 child

2009 Quick Service Plan Brochure
    2 quick service meals
    2 snacks
    1 refillable mug
    $29.99 adult
    $8.99 child

The dining plan must be added to your reservation prior to arrival. I suggest a minimum of two weeks in advance to insure qualification.
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

When I inquired at DVC Member Services, if you are staying on points, you have to 'order' the dining plan a minimum of 48 hours before your arrival.

Like Sammy, I'm not sure that I could stay out of the parks but there is a lot to do. We do like to visit the resorts...they are so beautiful.

You could always get a cab to go to Universal or rent a car for just one day.

Whatever you do......you will have fun! You're on vacation!!!!

There certainly is plenty to do without entering the parks. I know that we always leave disney feeling like we didn't have enough time to enjoy the resort as much as we should have.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!
    Debbie