Thread: What to pack??

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default What to pack??

I am tired of working and feel the need to do something towards getting ready for my cruise trip. I am trying to figure out what to pack. Anyone have any lists or suggestions? We are going to be gone for 14 days. I am trying to limit myself to 1 suitcase, 1 carry on, and 1 personal item on the way and then add a duffle bag for dirty clothes on the way back.

Weather is suppose to be hot and sticky but not sure how that compares to Texas/Florida during the summer as "hot" from what I'm reading is upper 70s during the day.

Thoughts?
    Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

I was gone for a total of 14 days for my European Cruise, too, so I know how you feel. What I always do is make lists of what I need for each day, ie what port I'll be in, whether I'll need shorts or pants, and dress-up clothes for dinner.

Since you will be going in Summer, it's a pretty good bet that it will be hot. However, you have to be careful of what you wear in some countries. For example, you can't go into churches in Rome or visit the Vatican in shorts or any sundress or halter that shows your shoulders. So a couple of lightwear pants might be in order, or a skirt that covers your knees. Make sure you read up on this before you go because it wasn't an issue for me with 60 plus degree weather.

I try to wear my pants/shorts/jeans on more than one occasion if possible. Some cruise ships have self-serve laundry facilities so you might want to check on that. I've done it before and you have to usually wait around a while to get a machine. Not my idea of a vacation. We sometimes send DH's shirts to the ship's laundry facilities. It's not too expensive to do that, so we have to pack a lot less. You could probably do the same with blouses. Check to see what the charges are before you go. I'd say a shirt or blouse would be $4 to $6 each, depending on the ship.

Another tip is to take as many mix and match clothes as you can. I like to stick to color themes as much as possible, like black and white, brown and pink, etc. For evenings, I like to take travel knits. I have a nice cocktail length travel knit dress that I can roll up in the suitcase. I have different jackets and blouses I can wear with it. I also have matching black travel knit pants and shell that I can match also mix and match.

You'll probably want really nice dress-up clothes for 3 nights of that cruise (just a guesstimate), with the rest of the nights be resort casual. Some of the fancier restaurants on my cruise would not allow jeans for dinner, but capris and slacks or skirts are fine. None of the restaurants would allow shorts at dinner.

As you can see, you need a fair amount of clothes on a cruise, probably more than most regular vacations, because of the dress clothes. It just takes a lot of planning (and plotting, lol) to do it right. Good luck.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Do you think Capris are acceptable in churches? I picked up a lightweight shawl this weekend to keep in my bag for shoulder issues but most of my dresses have short sleeves anyway.

I'm trying to do a lot of knits as they aren't as wrinkle-y looking as linen and some of the cotton fabrics.

The pants idea is a good one. I will probably throw in a pair of work pants to wear around just in case. I don't think any of our excursions have clothing restrictions but I'll double check that too.

Keep the tips/ideas coming! I'm going to order a large carry on bag tonight if TJ Maxx doesn't have it and start throwing things in it.
    Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Do you think Capris are acceptable in churches? I picked up a lightweight shawl this weekend to keep in my bag for shoulder issues but most of my dresses have short sleeves anyway.

I'm trying to do a lot of knits as they aren't as wrinkle-y looking as linen and some of the cotton fabrics.

The pants idea is a good one. I will probably throw in a pair of work pants to wear around just in case. I don't think any of our excursions have clothing restrictions but I'll double check that too.

Keep the tips/ideas coming! I'm going to order a large carry on bag tonight if TJ Maxx doesn't have it and start throwing things in it.
    I think capris will be fine for the churches. I think they want your knees and shoulders covered, if memory serves me right.

Knits are a great idea. I own a lot of them, including travel knits, so I do a lot of rolling.

With all my online shopping, I seem to have amassed a lot of tissue paper. I save it all and use it to fold and pack my clothes that will wrinkle. I even flat pack DH's dress shirts using this method. Then I just hang them in the bathroom while we take showers, and most of the remaining wrinkles are gone.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards