Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pet question

Most definately an allergy but to what is the question. Food, maybe, environment, probably. Be sure to first off be using a good flea preventative. As for the Lamb and Rice, at one time that was used for food allergy, but over the years because it has become a staple of food for most dogs, they have now developed allergies to it. Maybe try a Duck and Potatoe that you can buy at PetSmart or other feed stores. Also, avoid any food with dyes, a big allergy culprit. The benedryl is a good start and no knowing how big your dog is, you can probably do 2 a day if its over 35lbs. Really hard to overdose on that. Also, I try a gentocin topical of some sort on the paws, or hydrocortisone to keep him from licking those. Allergy testing can be expensive. Remember, if you are thinking it could be food, do not feed anything except the dog food you are trying. If you want to give treats, find the food in the can and shape it and bake it for treats. Any deviation from the food you are testing will give you negative results. good luck.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

Baking canned dogfood into treats? Wow, didn't know that could be done. Duck and potato? I've seen all kinds of combinations of pet foods at our pet store but don't recall that one. I did notice an organic turkey dogfood last time I was there. It was VERY expensive but I guess I could give that a try. I'll try rubbing hydrocortisone cream on him, and will get some benadryl today. I know he must be miserable as he's scratched raw spots on his neck. No raw spots on his feet but he does lick them pretty much constantly.
    Magic Maker, Off to Neverland Travel Co.

Just an update.....we tried several high quality brands of dog food for "sensitive skin" but nothing stopped the scratching. Went to another pet store to see if they had some different food brands. Found one by a company called PremiumEdge Lamb and Rice for Senior Dogs, and thought I'd give it a try. Within 3 days the scratching stopped, and the scabs are starting to heal. Not sure what the difference is as it does have wheat and corn in it but also lots of vitamins and minerals, omegas, and other stuff added. Whatever, I guess it's working, so any of you who are having dogs with skin problems may want to give this brand a try.
    Magic Maker, Off to Neverland Travel Co.