Thread: Christmas tips

Default Christmas tips

Before you know it Christmas will be here. Don't let it sneak up on you and break you and ruin your Christmas. We always have more expenses that time of year, food costs are up from baking or just making larger meals for more people, utility bills go up because its normally colder then and your electric/gas go up and sometimes travel add to your expense. You are lucky if you have a Christmas club savings, but thats not nearly enough to cover all your costs. So, get an idea of what you are going to buy everyone, and start now. Start first with your stocking stuffers since those aren't usually big items or ones that you want to wait to see if they "go on sale". Then start with the smaller fill in gifts. There are tons of sales right now. Make it a point to buy at least one item a week, it will hurt your budget a heck of a lot less then trying to buy it all in November and December.
    I usually start in July, which I did this year too. Summer clothes are on sale, so buy a size larger for the kids. Even though they won't be able to wear it at Christmas time, it'll be like Christmas in April or May when they get to break out their new clothes.

Don't let finances ruin your Christmas, shop smart, shop now.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

Excellent tips! I especially like the one to start getting stocking stuffers now. We do stockings for DH's whole family (it is a group effort - everyone buys things for everyone else's stockings), plus Santa brings them for the girls. Stocking stuffers can easily add a couple of hundred dollars to my Christmas budget since I am getting them for 10 or more people. I need to start picking up some iTunes cards and other stuffers instead of waiting until December and stressing.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I start a list of what I want to get people and then I start tackling it as the items go on sale or as I can buy them with other things I am shopping for. Take this week for example, I had both my brother and my friend comment on how cool my little video camera was. It went on sale for $40 so I bought each of them one vs.the $60 I spent when i bought mine. I saved money and was able to scratch something off my list!!
    Sunshine Rewards

Great ideas! I was just thinking last week that I need to get started soon. I like the idea of buying stocking stuffers now -- just hope I don't forget where I hid things when December rolls around - LOL.

DD4 wants a Leapster and several games so I need to start watching for those to go on sale. DD9 wants an American Girl Doll and a Coach purse. She's not too big to play with dolls but thinks she's big enough for a Coach ... hmm. We'll have to see if Santa is being generous this year.
    LEA ANN

Sunshine Rewardswww.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by nurseminnie76 View Post
    Great ideas! I was just thinking last week that I need to get started soon. I like the idea of buying stocking stuffers now -- just hope I don't forget where I hid things when December rolls around - LOL.

DD4 wants a Leapster and several games so I need to start watching for those to go on sale. DD9 wants an American Girl Doll and a Coach purse. She's not too big to play with dolls but thinks she's big enough for a Coach ... hmm. We'll have to see if Santa is being generous this year.
    That's why I grabbed the Chrissa doll from QVC. I had every intention of trying to win Julie (which I did) for DD soon to be 7's bday, but if I didn't get her then Chrissa was going to be her bday present. Then if I did get Julie DD's "big Santa gift" is already taken care of bc she'll then get Chrissa! So 1 down (bigger gifts) 2 to go. I may had half of DD5's already taken care of. DS10 will be easier this year bc he saved his bday money for a PSP so he'll want movies and games for it. I told DH I finally know what I want this year and that's either a GPS or a one cup Krup maker! lol So of course I'll be paying attention to the sales.
    Sunshine Rewards

I purchased my first Christmas 2009 gift online on Christmas 2008 and I've been shopping ever since! Disney Store outlet sale, BookCloseOut, QVC, Bath & Body... When the sales are good, I buy!
    Fanofree

Sunshine Rewards

I ordered the kids a Wii off of QVC the other night with the 5 easy pays. It breaks it up for me and will be paid off before Christmas. The SR credit pended almost immediately, and the Wii came today already!!

Now when my Christmas Club check comes in I can hopefully get DH's netbook that he wants and we'll be done, done, done! Well, except for the Disney gift cards that they'll need for spending money on the cruise. And stocking stuffers... which, thank you Cindy, I'm going to start watching for right away!

we have shorten our christmas list this year, but i am starting now also