Thread: Band Parents-Anything Else I Need?

Default Band Parents-Anything Else I Need?

my daughter (6th grade, almost 12) has just started playing the clarinet. we're renting right now, until we see if she's going to stick with it. i've bought her a box of reeds and a reed case (thank you SR!) what else do we need? she has a tube of cork grease and a clarinet swab. is there anything i'm missing? any advice or suggestions are appreciated, b/c i have NO idea what i'm doing, lol.

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

Every band teacher is different. My 2 BFFs are band teachers...one requires a folding stand to practice on and a luggage tag for the case....the other one doesn't.

My advice is wait and see what the teacher requires and/or suggests.
    Sunshine Rewards

you know, it's odd, there's been no parents' meeting or anything. my only communication with the band director was when i wrote a note asking for the right reed size. we have a tag for her clarinet case, and i think stands are still provided by the school. we may have to have one for home though, once she actually learns to play, lol. thanks!

It sounds like you have things pretty much covered. My DS14 has played clarinet for 4 1/2 years and those are the items we started out with. As time goes on and your daughter improves you will need to change to a harder reed and possibly upgrade the mouthpiece and ligature but that won't be for a year or two. I would definitely recommend a music stand for practicing at home. It's important to maintain good posture while playing and using a stand will help with that. You can get a folding stand for around $20. I shop at Woodwind Brasswind for most our DS's band needs and I absolutely love them!
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by catnapfan View Post
    It sounds like you have things pretty much covered. My DS14 has played clarinet for 4 1/2 years and those are the items we started out with. As time goes on and your daughter improves you will need to change to a harder reed and possibly upgrade the mouthpiece and ligature but that won't be for a year or two. I would definitely recommend a music stand for practicing at home. It's important to maintain good posture while playing and using a stand will help with that. You can get a folding stand for around $20. I shop at Woodwind Brasswind for most our DS's band needs and I absolutely love them!
    thanks so much! that's where i got the reeds and case the company was actually recommended by one of DH's co-workers and i was thrilled to find out they were affiliated with SR

DD is starting out on the trumpet and also needs the music/practice book.
    Sunshine Rewards