Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many carbs in a Mickey bar? For 3dog2kidmom

Default How many carbs in a Mickey bar? For 3dog2kidmom

I don't post here often but I know my friend Shelly loves to read Disney trip reports so I thought I'd post mine here. Hope you all enjoy it! Here's the back story:

Cast: Me (Dori)
    DD (Samantha) - 10
    DS (Bobby) - 7

Our last trip to WDW was in June 2007 with my friend, Shelly and her daughter, Taylor. She had wanted it to be a mother/daughter trip for our girls' 8th birthdays (within a week of each other) but I couldn't leave my 5 year old son out of it. He was too young to understand. She agreed and suggested we stay at POR since we could get 5 in the room. This was going to be my first trip alone with my kids after my divorce so it helped to have the safety net of another adult - especially one who is a Disney addict! She planned everything for us and I just nodded and smiled! This is the first time I've stayed on-site and the first experience with the dining plan so lots of new experiences!!!

The biggest problem with our last trip is something I absolutely couldn't have planned for and never in a million years would have expected. It was the end of June and it was HOT in Florida. We were drinking a lot of water. We were using the bathroom a lot. My daughter was using the bathroom CONSTANTLY. We'd stop for a potty break, get in line for a ride, and we'd have to get out of line to go again. She was getting up 3 or 4 times a night and those toilets flushing are LOUD so we didn't get much sleep. I'm sure at that point Shelly was seriously questioning the decision to share expenses with us! I was starting to get annoyed with my daughter because she was also "starving" all day and then we'd sit down to eat and she could barely finish a plate of food. THEN she'd be bouncing off the walls for an hour after eating. All of this seemed annoying to me but I just explained it away to being out of sorts on vacation, being in the happiest place on earth, etc. Shelly mentioned once to me "you know all those bathroom breaks are a sign of diabetes." I think from the nasty look on my face she decided not to mention it again. I said "yeah but it's just hot and we're drinking a lot of water. She's totally healthy! I would know if she had diabetes!" Really? Because what did I know about diabetes? Apparently, absolutely NOTHING!

Worst bad mommy confession of all: So like any bad parent, I ignored the signs and kept believing she was fine. I waited an entire month after our trip and I just mention it during her regular yearly check-up at the dr's office. Sure enough she was immediately sent to the ER with a diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. I knew it was bad when we skipped the entire line in the very full waiting room at Buffalo's Children's Hospital ER and were whisked back to an exam room. No questions were asked, instructions were already called in by her pediatrician, and within an hour the head of the endocrinology department was standing next to me explaining where our new journey was about to take us. As I write this now, I have tears in my eyes because the signs were so friggin' glaringly obvious!!! I get so mad at myself! But I just remember what that dr told me in the ER "this is how all the kids come in and get diagnosed. It?s sneaky and creeps up on you and you just don't see all the symptoms back to back. Hindsight is always 20/20" OK, I'm done consoling myself! It has been 2 years of ups and downs but she is healthy again and that is all that matters.

So I knew I wanted to take another Disney trip with the kids but wasn't sure when. Then we found out about a great conference at Coronado Springs for kids with diabetes. We have participated in events with this group before and they are AMAZING!!! The problem for me was the cost of staying at CS, no deals going on, and it's during one of the busiest times of year (July 4th week). The costs ended up being the deciding factor for me as I just could not afford the above costs plus the conference costs. I had given up my dreams of Disney World for 2009. WELL...not quite! My co-worker told me when she heard about the free dining deal coming out. That tipped my scales and I quickly booked a value (POP) for 6 nights at the end of August. Fortunately for us, the kids don't start school until after Labor Day. I am hoping I like it as much as I loved POR. The kids are very excited about the themes and the tie-dyed cheesecake. OK, just one more change! I read about Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (MNSSHP) and saw the first one for 2009 was the day we were planning on leaving. The cost was high but I knew it would be a one time deal for us as my daughter is already getting to the age of "this isn't cool anymore." I changed our dates of stay at the POP and booked our flights on AirTran. I missed out on the $72 fares but got $79 non-stop flights so I was happy!

Our #1 priority: Have a GREAT trip and don't let diabetes get in our way!!!
    This will be a little tough as we really need to know how many carbs are in everything she eats and Disney won't publish that info. Fortunately, Mickey bars DO come with nutritional info on the packaging!

The one thing I am most excited about is surprising the kids with an invitation to MNSSHP. They know nothing about it; have never heard of it; wouldn't even imagine it being a possibility. My plan is to wrap up the costumes and hide them in our luggage. Then one day as we're leaving for a park, I'll pretend I forgot something in the room and go back in. I'll leave the packages and a note from Mickey on the bed for them to find when we come back for our break. I am definitely not a fan of costumes for myself but I thought if there is one place we can get away with a family theme its Disney World! I decided on Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Wendy. I found a short sleeve PP top for my son and cut off the bottoms into shorts. My daughter will wear a dance leotard and I bought a green Tink skirt and wings. I found a blue nightgown that looks very old-fashioned but it needs some fixing. It is long-sleeved which will be too hot and it's also quite a bit big. I need to cut off the sleeves, add a little fabric to the top so I?m not showing too much (!), and add some ribbon to the back to pull the large gown a little smaller. I'm not a great seamstress so that's about all I'm going to be able to do. I think it will be good enough though. I am hoping the kids like "Mickey's" suggestion to dress alike. A little confession: keeping it a secret keeps away all the arguing about what they want to dress up like! We are used to finding Halloween costumes that we can wear winter coats under so this is a new experience for me!!

Thanks for reading so far!
    ~Dori
    Last edited by bflohockey; 09-09-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Friday, August 28th: Our flight out was at 5:30pm so I worked ? day and finished up packing. The kids had a sleepover at Grandma's house the night before so they all arrived around 2:30pm. I was rushing to get my lawn mowed while dodging rain drops so I was pretty stressed but happy to be heading out the door.

Our flight was on time and we arrived at MCO to find a completely empty ME area. We got right in line for POP, on the bus, and then waited about 15 minutes for others to join us.

When arriving at POP we were the only ones in line for the online check-in and everything was in order and waiting for us. We headed off to our room. We walked and walked and walked and walked. Ummm, I thought I asked for something close to the buses and food? We were as far as you can get from the Classic Hall in the 80's section. But at least we had this great view:

It was about 10:30pm at this point and we needed to be up early for RD so I called for our fridge and got ready for the next morning. Our bags did not arrive that night so I'm glad I packed clothes and all the necessities for our first morning in the carry-on luggage.
    Last edited by bflohockey; 09-09-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Day #1: Saturday, August 29th (DHS)
    I had a very bad feeling about the fridge and was worried it was going to freeze our insulin. I was awake at 5:30am stressed out about it. I get up to check and sure enough the drinks in it were frozen. I freak out wondering where I'm going to get more insulin. I couldn't figure out where to adjust the temp so I called the front desk to ask for another fridge. Even though it was only 6am the maintenance man was very polite and didn't even laugh at me when he showed me where the knob was on the back of the fridge to adjust the temp. Problem solved and it didn't appear that the insulin was frozen only the tops of the drinks. WHEW!

I was very anxious to get to Hollywood Studios (DHS) well before rope drop (RD) so that we could ride Toy Story Mania (TSM) a couple times. We have never been on it so I was just going by previous reports. Months before I had signed up for Tour Guide Mike (http://www.tourguidemike.com). If you ever go to Disney - even if you've been there a bunch - I strongly recommend it! The tips really, really made our vacation.

We were with just 1 other family on the bus that morning and happily lined up at the empty turnstiles shortly after 8am. I figured since we had the time I would get a guest assistance card (GAC) for my daughter. I really went back and forth about this because to me if I get this card I'm admitting she has a disability. Diabetes for us has never been a disability although in the FL heat, it sure did slow us down. In the end, I decided to get the card just to have as backup. Ours ended up allowing us access to the FP lane on any rides that offered it. Hmmm... tempting!! Then the kids ate their breakfast bars and waited impatiently to be let in the park.

I was very frustrated when our machine got opened last, then our card got stuck in it, and everyone raced by us to the rope. It was disappointing to get there an hour early and then my kids couldn't even see the opening show. Even after we had a spot up in the first couple rows, we had people pushing by us and stepping in front of my kids. It was not a great start to our Disney trip. As they dropped the rope, people started pushing more and I moved my kids off to the side. We can walk quickly but it's not worth being run over for. Since we were RDing DHS twice, I decided to forgo the TSM FP (fast pass) hassle being reported recently and head straight for the standby line. We walked through the queue and got right on the ride. We all really enjoyed it! After TSM we headed for the Great Movie Ride. My daughter loves this one for some reason. From there we headed over to Star Tours and then to Jedi Training in hopes my son would get picked. He wore his Mickey Jedi shirt and all. Unfortunately, the force wasn't strong enough in him and he wasn't selected but we stayed to watch the show. I told him it was just obvious he didn't need any training! After Jedi Training we shopped for overpriced Star Wars junk and then went to see Muppets 3D. Everyone loved that.

We hit the first Indiana Jones show and got some great pictures.

After the show it was time for our reservation at Sci-Fi diner. It was our first time here and I was told by everyone to avoid it. The food is just terrible. Well, we loved it! The theming of it is so cool and who wouldn't love to sit in a convertible and eat? We had a great server and my kids gave it 2 thumbs up.

After lunch we decided to run off some of the carbs at the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground. This was my kids' favorite from our last trip but once around the thing this time and they were done. A little sad that they're growing up but from there we went to Rock-N-Roller coaster! My son was not tall enough for this last time and this time he was hesitant to go on. This was not in my initial plan so I didn't get a FP for it in the morning. I decided we would use our GAC to get in the FP lane for this. I felt guilty but I tried to remember that its purpose is so my daughter has less walking in the heat and can get in/our lines quickly when she needs to. Plus, for all the crap she has to put up with every day with this disease, it was nice that she got a special bonus from Disney. We went through the pre-show, walked right into the ride, and just as we were about to sit down, my son decided he couldn't do it. I left with him and DD rode by herself. We left the park after this ride to head back to Pop. It was about 2:30pm. We relaxed a bit in the room and I unpacked the luggage that was waiting for us by then. We went swimming for a couple hours and then had dinner in the POP food court. Everyone liked what they had and DD was thrilled to finally try the tie-dyed cheesecake. Personally, I didn't like it since it had cake on the bottom. DS had a huge chocolate cupcake and everyone was full. We headed back to our room after taking a scenic walk about the resort. We checked out the bridge and got some pics of the 50s section at sunset.

As it turns out that is the only view of it we had all week. Never got around to taking any more pictures.

This is the kids climbing the Rubix cube stairs:

Early to bed for RD at AK tomorrow!
    Last edited by bflohockey; 09-09-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Terrific report! Thanks for sharing with us!!

Day #2: Sunday, August 30th (Animal Kingdom)

This was our only day at Animal Kingdom so I was planning on making it through the parade. We arrived around 8:40am and were let in to the park to walk up to the rope. There were plenty of people in front of us but I wasn't too concerned about being first today. The kids stood on a stone wall and watched the cute opening show. We had never seen this before. After they dropped the rope I walked directly to the centralized FP machines by It's Tough to be a Bug (ITTBAB). (This is a test they were running that supposedly ended on 8/31 so I was glad to get to use them and avoid running all over AK!) They weren't open yet (8:58am) but CM (cast member) said they would be in 2 minutes. I figured it was worth waiting for. When they're closed you have no idea which machines are for which rides so I just stood in front of one and waited. Of course, some @#%^ just walked right up in front of me pretending there was no line but it's ok because I was at Disney and not going to get mad. While we were waiting CMs gave us FPs for 10:30am Nemo show. Turns out we didn't need them but they look good in the scrapbooks! I grabbed FPs for Dinosaur, Safari, and Everest. CMs wouldn't say you could get them all at the same time, they just said "why don't you try more than one." I knew you could so I was already on my 2nd set by then! After we got those we walked over to Everest. I got a few cute shots of the kids on our walk since the place was empty.

We looked for the monkeys but they weren't out yet. We rode Everest standby since there was no wait. I promised DS a stuffed yeti if he didn't cry during this ride... ok, so I bribed him! Last time we went he was 5 and it turned out to be the first ride we rode at Disney and his very first roller coaster. YIKES! He did it and got his yeti but did not want to ride again! After EE we headed to Dinoland and DD rode Primeval Whirl. What a waste of time! UGH! This was the only ride that wasn't a walk on for our entire trip and I never should have let her ride. It took soooo long. But that's ok because we're at Disney and I'm trying not to control every second of the trip. After PW we went on Dinosaur. This is a picture of our picture so it's not great but we're in the last row. I'm laughing, DD is covering her face, and DS is ducking. So funny! Last time we rode this the ride got stuck so this was a much better time. Both kids still think this is a scary one though.

After dinosaur we walked over to Nemo and saw this show for the first time. It was wonderful!!! I really enjoyed it and DD liked it too. DS wasn't too thrilled but I did see wonderment and smiles occasionally on his face. After Nemo we walked back through Dinoland and the kids checked out the play area. They loved this one last time too but found it to be too "boring" this time. Too bad because I found a great seat in the shade! Then we headed towards Asia and it was time for our ADR at Yak & Yeti. I was most looking forward to eating here and I was not disappointed! I enjoyed the seared miso salmon very much. I knew this wouldn't be a favorite for the kids but they didn't starve, that's for sure. We had GREAT seats upstairs overlooking the front of the restaurant. Definitely a must-do for me next time!!

After lunch we headed to Kali River Rapids to grab FPs. I was still feeling guilty about using our GAC. DD wanted to ride EE again so I put her in the single rider line and watched from the shop doorway while DS browsed and she got on the ride. We gave away our FPs because DS didn't want to ride again and the single rider line was empty. She came off thrilled and I let her ride it again. After that we walked over to It's Tough to be a Bug. We haven't done this one in years because my oldest got scared when she was little. She clung to me this time too but they both liked it.

To be continued...
    Last edited by bflohockey; 09-09-2009 at 01:23 PM.

After ITTBAB, we headed towards Africa. We walked through the Pangani trail which I don't think we've ever done before. After that we rode Safari with our FPs.

As we were walking out I started looking for a place to get a refreshing snack while we waited for the parade. One of the Safari CMs said "what are you looking for?" and I noticed her name tag said she was from Buffalo. So we told her we were too and when I said we were looking for a shady spot for the parade, she said "oh well then you have to sit in my VIP section. Go get your snack and I?ll come looking for you in about 10 minutes." We got some frozen lemonades and she took us to a spot on the bridge that we had all to ourselves. Really cool! This is a pic of her signing DD's autograph book. We really made her day by asking for her autograph and she made our day by giving us great seats for the parade!

I got great pics of all the floats but this is my favorite:

Then after the parade she gave us FPs to use on any ride. We were heading to ride Kali at the end of our long, hot day, so we used her ticket once, then rode it again with our FPs. Yep, we got totally soaked but didn?t care since we were leaving for the day. Unfortunately, I never got our family picture by the tree of life like I wanted to and I definitely wasn?t going to do it at that point. I did get really cute Photopass ones of the kids holding Simba before we left though!

To finish our day, we headed back to POP, got dinner in the food court and I think swam in the pool for a bit. I wanted them in bed by 9pm for RD the next morning. They were doing really well getting up and ready on time so far. Up next... Magic Kingdom! Thanks for reading!!!

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Your TR is great! We were there 8/30 - 9/4. left right before the MNSSHP though, we did it last year and were a little disappointed. I hope you guys had a great time!

My nephew has type I diabetes too, with all of the challenges and issues those kids have to face - you shouldn't worry about giving them a little extra special treatment Not to mention all of the stress and extra work it brings for mom too!

Look forward to reading the rest!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

I want to be in AK right now! Loving your report and your pictures are great.
    I definately have Yak and Yeti on my list for my next trip.
    Sunshine Rewards

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Hey Dori!! Welcome back!

Loving your TR, can't wait to read the rest. I really can't believe how big Sam and Bobby are. Love all the pictures.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for reading everyone!

Carrie - I appreciate the boost about the GAC pass. It helps to have people understand but I still feel like people are staring. For almost everything we didn't need the extra help because we got there so early and utilized FPs. But there were a couple times we used it and it was nice!

April - good to "see" you! I can't believe you've made over $2,000 at SR! You'll have to let me in on how you managed that!!! I got your invite for the SR Disney picture contest and I had such a great one of us from the party. I just misread it and missed the deadline for submission. Boo hoo!!!

~Dori
    Last edited by bflohockey; 09-09-2009 at 09:06 PM.