Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many carbs in a Mickey bar? For 3dog2kidmom

Glad to see you here, Dori, and loving your trip report!! Can't wait to read the rest.

Day #3 - Part 1: Monday, August 31th (Magic Kingdom)

By the time dawn breaks (yes, I was up!) on Monday I am really feeling the effects of lack of sleep. DD's blood sugar levels were way too high and I was up every 3 hours testing her and giving her more insulin for the past 3 nights. I knew it would be difficult to guess carb counts at Disney and it is always difficult to figure out how fatty foods will affect her but this was really getting ridiculous. I hated to tell her she couldn?t have pizza and desserts because we don't have them at home but I was beginning to think we?d have to limit the junk. Even hours after she'd eaten and insulin was gone, she'd still be out of range. How can this be with all the walking? Even the pool time, which is always sure to drop her blood sugar too low, was seeming to have NO effect at all? What the heck???? Fortunately, she slept through all my testing and my worrying didn't effect her sleep either. I got up early, watched the sun rise over the PacMan figures at Pop, and started to get ready for our MK day. I was really hoping to be selected as family of the day at one of these parks but after our first day sitting for an hour at DHS, it really didn't seem like it was worth the wait. We made all our RDs, just weren't first at the rope. We ate breakfast again in our room and hopped on a bus bound for MK. I knew this was a longer ride than the others but wasn't sure how long so I tried to get to the bus stop early. We did but waiting for a bus to show up took awhile and then there were wheel chairs to load. Not complaining about it, just saying we didn't make it to MK until just as they were starting the show.

I'm sure the kids were happy not to have to wait but there were no empty Main St/castle pictures for us this morning. We did stop close to the castle for photo ops with the Photopass guys. He did a Tinker Bell one for DD which DS was not cooperating for at all. Stinker! After pictures, we headed through the castle, admired the tile work, peeked in BBB (did this last time at DTD), and answered numerous questions as to why we could not eat in the castle this time. From there we walked on to Snow White, PP (twice), IASW, and the carousel (UGH!). ?NO, we can not ride Dumbo now. Aren't you too old for it?!? From there we headed to BTMRR and saw Davy Crocket Donald in Liberty Square. We decided to get pics and his autograph. I say ?we? but it was my kids pleading that made me break away from my mentality that we had to ride as many rides as possible in the morning and let them do a few things they wanted to. BTMRR was a walk on though and we cajoled DS to ride with us. He said he didn't like it but I know I heard him laughing!? Then we went on Splash Mountain ? also a walk on. DS ended up crying at the last drop. Poor kid! DD made fun of him, I got aggravated, and we waited in the shop while she rode again. As we were walking away, we saw Cowboy Goofy so we waited in a short line for autographs and pics. After that we headed over to my favorite ride of all time, Pirates of the Caribbean. We saw Wendy and Peter Pan but they were about to head out. We were told they would be back at 11:30 so we rode Pirates (a walk on) and we all enjoyed it as usual. When we came out we saw Captain Hook and Smee and waited for their autographs and pics. They were a lot of fun! I love this pic of my son looking at the hook!

It was then 11:20 so we walked over to get FPs for jungle cruise to use later that night and went to get in line for Wendy and Peter. We waited until 11:45 and they still hadn't come out so I suggested we give up and we headed to Pecos Bill's for lunch. We all enjoyed lunch there and were ready for a new experience. From lunch we went to Tom Sawyer Island. This was really fun to explore, even though my kids wouldn't go in the caves or mines. BOO!!! That?s ok. We got some cool pictures from there and it was fun to do something new.

It was getting very hot at this point though so after TSI, it was time to head back to Pop. We were planning on taking a break and coming back for evening festivities so I really had to keep everyone on track. There was lots of pleading and ?just one more quick fill-in-the-blank? but we all know that even with no line, the rides take up 15-20 minutes and we had a lot of walking to do to get back. Oh wait? didn't I see the train stop right next to Splash Mountain? Cool! We took a train ride around MK which was a GREAT way to see it and get back to the front without killing ourselves.

Back at Pop I insisted on naps and then some pool time. The refreshing A/C did wonders for me. As we were walking out to go to the pool, I told the kids I forgot something and asked them to wait outside for me. ?I?ll just be a second!? I said as I slammed the door in their faces. I ran to the suitcase, pulled out their surprise Halloween costumes and left them on the chair with a letter from Mickey. When we returned, they were so excited to see them and had a million questions for me. They loved their costumes and couldn?t believe Mickey would invite them to his party. ?Does everyone get to go?? ?Why is it so early? Halloween isn't for almost 2 months? ?Mom, are you going to wear your costume?? Even my 10 year old believed the Disney magic! That was so cool!!! Now the pressure was off me to get everything done tonight. Originally they thought we were only going to MK one day so they were trying to fit everything into our one day. Good thing we were going back as you?ll see from the rest of the story!

Day 3 - Part 2:

At 5pm we headed back to MK for dinner at Crystal Palace. Walking up Main Street we saw the end of the show at the castle and a couple fireworks. The kids loved that. As we walked up to CP, I was surprised to see at least 100 people standing outside the restaurant. I was VERY nervous, as I did not want to waste hours here. My kids immediately started questioning me: ?how long are we going to have to wait?? and my favorite from DS in his best whiney voice ?do we have a fast pass for this?? We checked in pretty quickly and got our pager. I asked very sweetly ?I know you can't say for sure but there are so many people here and I'm just wondering about how long the wait is.? We had checked in about 25 minutes before our ADR which was at 6:05. She said ?probably you?ll get in by 6.? HUH? Really? I had no idea all those people were standing around waiting without reservations. Yikes! There was an empty bench inside the lobby (aka in the cool air conditioned building) so we sat and waited barely 20 minutes to be called for our table. While waiting, DD got some great pictures of the lobby.

Three of the characters came over very quickly so we didn't get our dinner right away. They were cute but really spent very little time with our table. I think this was my least favorite meal. The food was not impressive at all and I hardly found anything to eat except salad and a small piece of turkey. Definitely not worth the $137 price tag (thank goodness for the dining plan!). The 4th character took nearly an hour to get to us and in the nearly 90 minute we were there, they only did their little show once ? while we were up getting dinner. I won't post all the pics here - you've seen the characters before! I just love this one of DD hugging Eeyore's ear!

And this one's for Shelly:

I was also very surprised at how dirty this place was. I know there are lots of small children throwing food on the floor but I think they should make a better attempt at cleaning before the next group arrives. The place itself is absolutely gorgeous and although we were along the back wall, I could clearly see the castle through the windows. So pretty! I also saw that it suddenly began pouring and kept it up the whole time we were in there. We delayed as long as possible but eventually had to go out in it.

To be continued...

I'm really enjoying reading your trip report and seeing all the photos. Thanks for sharing!
    LEA ANN

Sunshine Rewardswww.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Day 3 - Part 3:

Donning our ponchos, we headed over to Tomorrowland. The wait for Monsters, Inc. was very long but Buzz was a walk on. We did that and realized how unimpressive it now is compared to TSM! Poor DS only scored 300 points. After Buzz we decided to do Carousel of Progress. My kids don't remember it from last time but it's fun for me because my mom always talks about going on the original one at the 1964 World?s Fair (also went on IASW there). They've definitely updated it since we last went on it and the kids thought the revolving room was cool. Still raining as we walked out. Monsters Inc said 5 minute wait so we decided to do that. I love them and this show so I was happy to do it. We waited a LONG time for this but I guess it didn't matter since it was raining. I was getting annoyed at the little girl behind me who kept punching my backpack. I would turn around and ?glare? at her and she would hide behind her mother. I moved my backpack to my side and she punched it again. Finally after about the 8th time, when I turned around her mother was looking at me and I said "I wouldn?t mind it if my camera wasn?t in here." She just smiled at me and the kid kept doing it. People amaze me! When we walked out of the show we were happy to find it had stopped raining. Yeah! Maybe they'd still be able to do SpectroMagic and Wishes!!! Well, except for that stupid lightning in the sky. Quick potty break here and then we walked over the bridge towards the castle and got a nighttime Photopass shot in front of the castle. Not the greatest. Oh well! Then we walked towards Frontierland to get a spot for the parade. We found a good one right over the bridge by Liberty Square and put out our towel. DS layed down and whined and complained the whole time. Apparently, while we were napping, he was playing with his DS so he was pretty tired by this point. Too bad, kid! We found our spot about 8:40pm and slowly people started filling in around us in spots I didn?t even think existed. DS got stepped over, around, and on? yes, ON! UGH! Then they delayed the parade. By 9:15 we decided to leave and as we were walking away the music started on Main St. Crap! DD and I decided to go back but, even though we'd just left, our spots were gone. So we walk on through Frontierland until we find something. We had a great spot but we waited and waited and waited again. It seemed like forever but I think it was just because we were tired. I was sad that I didn't get any good nighttime shots at MK:

DD waiting for SpectroMagic:

The one semi-good parade shot:

The parade finally ended at 9:40 and then they delayed Wishes. DD and I had really wanted to see this and I should have forced DS to stay but he was really miserable and I was not looking forward to dealing with the post-Wishes crowds. I knew there was no way we could sit around and wait for them to dissipate so we?d be stuck in them. We decided to leave the park and saw the start of the fireworks as the bus pulled away to head to Pop. It was a long day. A bit disappointing to not have seen Wishes or finish our ride plan but all-in-all pretty productive! I really regret sitting around waiting so long for the parade. The crowds were not bad at all and we could have found a decent spot right as it started and spent all that time riding things we missed earlier. Live and learn, I guess! On to Epcot tomorrow!!

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Great TR and your pictures are amazing, so clear...may I ask what kind of camera you have?
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Wow Dori, loving the TR but I must say you held your cool better then I. I can't believe the nerve of some people!!!!
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for doing the TR! Love it! Great pictures...what kind of camera are you using....really great shots!

Pamela
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

Great report and great photos!! Thanks for sharing this with us!
    I'M DEB And I'm Making My Way Back To Disney..With Sunshine Rewards...One Click At A Time!

Deb Tokarski -Mouse World Travel, An Authorized Disney Vacation Planner

Booking Disney Destinations (Disney World, DisneyLand, Disney Cruises & Adventures by Disney)
    as well as Sandals & Beaches Resorts and other destinations & other cruise lines worldwide!!

For more information and a free no-obligation quote email me at: deb@mouseworldtravel.com
    You can also Friend me on Facebook--> Deb Tee
    Your Dreams are a Wish Away with ME and I am ready to help you find your Dream Vacation!!

Quote Originally Posted by bflohockey View Post
    And this one's for Shelly:

Awww... you remembered that Tigger's my fave!! And I can't get over how much the kids have grown in the two years since I've seen them. Wow!