Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom - WDW

For all that are worried that your little princess will out grow the princesses... Wait until they are 21, take them to a wine luncheon during Food and Wine Festival and you'll both go hug a princess!

Seriously, this is so exciting. I love to see new ideas, even though I get sad to see changes in old favorites.
    Fanofree

Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by gpp2001 View Post
    The reason they are focusing on the princesses is because most of WDW is focused on boys. Adventureland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland - those are mainly for boys or gender neutral and they felt they needed more for girls.
    I read similar comments on the Dis and I respectfully disagree.

Adventureland has Pirates - how many girls don't like pirates? How many ladies out there don't enjoy the POC ride? Not many. There were just as many girls and women at the Captain Jack's pirate tutorial when we were there as boys. Other than that you have the Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse - all gender neutral in my opinion, not focused on boys.

Same with Frontierland - it's western themed but I don't see a cowboy camp, cowboy makeover boutique, cowboy meet and greets, gunshooting lessons, a saloon with special character meal with Woody and Friends, etc.

Instead it is thrill rides (BTMRR and Splash) and shows (Country Bear, etc), very gender neutral.

Same with Tomorrowland - Stitch, Buzz, COP, Space Mountain, Indy Speedway - all things that are enjoyed by everyone and gender neutral.

Seriously, does anyone have a daughter that doesn't like to do certain parts of MK because they are too "boyish"??

Disney Princesses and Fairies sell, I get that. I'm sure my boys will like to see the new land once it opens, especially if Disney gets some pretty princesses. But the constant focus on princesses/fairies/Hannah Montana/etc is getting a little overwhelming
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Ohh i really cant wait fot the expansion I love princesses

It doesn't help that I have three daughters either

Default FL Update

Hey everyone! Sorry to dredge up a thread from a few weeks back, but I thought I'd share some info on the upcoming FL expansion.

The expansion is going to engulf what is currently Pooh's Playful Spot, the area that used to be 20K Leagues, and all of Toon Town. Construction will have very little impact on daily operations and should not cause any current rides to close.

There is going to be a new Castle Courtyard Wall that separates the current Fantasyland from the new Fantasyland. All of the current rides and shows will remain.

There will be a handful of Princess areas. For example, Aurora will get a cottage and will celebrate her 16th Birthday with guests in an interactive meet-n-greet, and Belle will have a little town square area.

They will build the Beast's castle back behind the carousel, near Pinocchio's Village House, with a new Quick Service and a new Table Service restaurant.

The one exception to "no rides being disrupted" will be Dumbo. They are moving Dumbo to the new circus area where Toon Town is now, and they will replicate the Dumbo spinner so that they essentially double capacity. There will be a tent where guests play interactive games and wait their turn to get on the ride.

Between Fantasyland and the new Circus area will be a Pixie area. It will be similar to the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground at DHS in that guests shrink as they walk into the area to meet the Pixies.

The biggest endeavor will be the new Little Mermaid ride. They're building it first out at Disneyland, and WDW's should be done in 2012. It will be a dark ride (like Haunted Mansion), but you ride in clamshells that face sideways (like the Nemo ride in Epcot). It will use similar technology as Nemo, where you see beautiful full-size sets with animated characters and animatronics superimposed. It will be a full-sensory experience with actual movie soundtracks playing.

To read more about the Fantasyland expansion, and view renderings, check out this entry on my blog.

To read more about the Little Mermaid ride, and see pictures and renderings of it, check out this blog entry.

Enjoy!

-tom
    Mouse Unlimited - The Ultimate Disney Travel Agency
    Mouse Unlimited | MU Forum | MU Blog | MU Twitter | MU Facebook

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Thanks for adding the information. I am interested in seeing how it all shapes up.

Have you heard any updates on the plans for Mickey and Minnie's respective homes? I heard they were relocating but not much else.
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post

Disney Princesses and Fairies sell, I get that. I'm sure my boys will like to see the new land once it opens, especially if Disney gets some pretty princesses. But the constant focus on princesses/fairies/Hannah Montana/etc is getting a little overwhelming
    Up until now I'd say well everything goes in cycles over there. I mean a few years back Stitch was all over and now he's fading out but building all these cottages for princesses is a little more permanent so I can see why there is some feeling of overwhelment on the "girlie" front. My only hope is that we will start seeing some comic book characters soon.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Thanks for adding the information. I am interested in seeing how it all shapes up.

Have you heard any updates on the plans for Mickey and Minnie's respective homes? I heard they were relocating but not much else.
    That's top secret - DH won't even share this info with me!!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

Quote Originally Posted by gpp2001 View Post
    That's top secret - DH won't even share this info with me!!
    Ugh. Can you at least assure me that they won't be homeless and I can go visit?
    Sunshine Rewards

They are going somewhere - they will not be homeless!!! They are not replacing Mickey and Minnie with the princesses - they are just relocating them!!
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

The bad news is that Mickey's and Minnie's actual houses are more than likely going to be demolished, since they're in the way of new construction (according to current plans).

The official word from Disney is that M&M will find new homes "near the front of the park". The fairly reliable inside word on this is that they'll be back in the Exposition Hall on Main Street, like they were many years ago - before Birthdayland/Toon Town. They won't have new houses (since they wouldn't fit in on MSUSA), but they'll have a dedicated meet area, likely with some interior remodeling and theming.

Some speculated that they might be moved to DHS and have their homes re-built, but that would be sacrilegious because we all know M&M live in the Magic Kingdom!
    Mouse Unlimited - The Ultimate Disney Travel Agency
    Mouse Unlimited | MU Forum | MU Blog | MU Twitter | MU Facebook