Thread: Roku - Can someone give me the details?

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default Roku - Can someone give me the details?

I came across the Roku box in the merchant request thread but I don't quite understand how it works with Netflix. Can any netflix movie be sent to your tv through the box or just certain ones - kinda like their watch instantly on your laptop feature.
    Sunshine Rewards

cglaura is offline Am I the only one picturing the Brady Bunch

From what I can tell, it is only the movies marked "Watch Instantly"...like it would be the same as if you were going to watch on your computer, just routing it to the tv instead.

I'm trying to decide myself if I want this...

ETA, Here's something from their site, so looks like it is just the Instant selelctions:

Fill Your Instant Queue
    Use the Netflix site to browse a growing library of 17,000+ instant Netflix movies and TV episodes – including hundreds in HD. Place choices in your Netflix Instant Queue, add more whenever you want, and keep them as long as you like.

http://www.roku.com/netflix-partner

It also works with Amazon Video on Demand, which is sort of like pay per view, no subscriptions, pay 99 cents to $4.99 for watching a movie.

I've never tried Amazon, but that sounds interesting.
    Last edited by cglaura; 09-23-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

We actually have Roku as a paid offer! The payout is $6.00.
    Angie

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by missangie View Post
    We actually have Roku as a paid offer! The payout is $6.00.
    I know! It is very enticing.
    Sunshine Rewards

I LOVE my Roku! I have had mine since June 2008. We canceled cable in August 2008 and haven't missed it at all.

You can play anything available under "Watch Instantly" on your TV. This is a LOT! Under Starz!Play, there are always current, popular titles available. You do have to have one of the "unlimited" plans, however. I subscribe to the lowest level, whis is one movie out at a time. I pay under $10 a month.

Also, you can access Amazon OnDemand. You can either rent titles or purchase them. If you purchase them, then they are always available through the Roku menu. (great for those of us too lazy to pop a new dvd into the player)

They have added a new Baseball channel, bur I don't know the details on that since I have no interest in sports.

I am so excited to hear that there is a paid offer!
    Last edited by roselark; 09-23-2009 at 05:16 PM.

I should also mention that I love the Amazon OnDemand feature. They have awesome deals all the time on TV seasons and movies. Also, they will normally have the first few episodes of many TV series available for free each season.

You can either browse and purchase through the Roku (after setting up your account) or purchase online at Amazon. I prefer browsing online at the website. It is much easier.

Ok I am almost sold on this (like I need to buy anything else LOL). How did you set yours up? Meaning are you running cables or did you do it through a wifi and was it difficult to configure it all through a wifi if that is the route you took. I am thinking we'd have to wifi it as I don't think a cable would be too pretty but I've never configured something like a tv wirelessly.
    Sunshine Rewards

You can set up the internet connection either way. We have it through our WiFi and it was super easy to set up.

You can use either an HDMI cable or standard AV cables to connect it to the TV.

We just hooked a cheap computer to the tv.

We can get all the stuff on the internet... netflix watch it now, hulu, youtube
    Faith
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Proud to be SR member #3129