Thread: Best Buy Question

Default Best Buy Question--Desktop?

I'm wondering if anyone knows the specifics on this.

On the shoping page it says "Best Buy
    Details: Earn 1% back on purchases. (except laptops, notebooks, and Wii hardware--0%) ."

I've been planning to buy a new computer before the end of the year probably and have always gone via Best Buy in the past. I like that I can buy an extended warranty and get the 12 or 18 months same as cash for using my Best Buy card. I know laptops would not allow me to earn anything...what about if I bought a desktop? Do we get credits for buying those? How about the Geek Squad extended warranty?

I'm still undecided on laptop vs. desktop, but am leaning towards desktop. The ONLY thing laptops have going for them, as far as I'm concerned, is I don't have to call someone over to get it carried up the stairs to my apartment! I'm afraid I'd trip and drop the desktop tower if I did that myself.

With Windows 7 coming out this week, I can finally start seriously computer shopping. Thanks!
    Last edited by mmm611; 10-29-2009 at 05:25 PM.
    "Tomorrow I start with a clean blanket."

Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I don't have the answer to your question but I was on buy.com and newegg.com yesterday looking at laptops. I think we are going to buy one by the end of the year and another in the Spring.

I was going to ask though about your desktop/laptop pros/cons as I have both and was curious as we are leaning towards laptops as we like the mobility of the laptop. I wasn't sure if there is something we aren't considering here.
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Oh and the tower of the desktop really isn't that heavy so you should be fine getting it up the stairs yourself. The heaviest thing is normally the monitor if you get the old school kind and not a flat panel monitor.
    Sunshine Rewards

I've got some pretty steep stairs here. My grandmother is actually refusing to visit me here now because she doesn't want to do them. We had to move my birthday party in June because of that.

I've carried both the tower and the monitor from my car to a building before, but never with as many steps in the way as I will have to navigate. I think the LCD monitor boxes usually have a handle, right? For some reason, I'm thinking mine did, but I don't remember for sure and the box is in my parent's attic.

My biggest reservatiopn about laptops is I had one before my current computer. It had major issues and even with the warranty thrown in, I'm still a little reluctant to get another. As it is, my current computer was basically free because of the warranty. I also prefer the larger screen, and aside from possibly taking it by my parents when I go over there, it would stay in one place, so portability really isn't a factor for me. I personally think it seems laptops are more expensive than a desktop for the same exact computer, but that's just me. Mostly, it's just personal preferance there!

Cate, this is the site I've used before for reviews, but there's not much up yet for Windows 7. I did see one laptop that would be a maybe in Best Buy's ad today, but I'm waiting to actually see it first.

http://reviews.cnet.com/?tag=hdr;snav
    Last edited by mmm611; 10-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for the site! I have just been reading user reviews on the two sites I mentioned earlier. I have noticed the price on a laptop vs. desktop and often wondered why there was such a difference. I'm hoping to catch a sale closer to black friday but we'll see.

I haven't read too much on Windows 7 other than a Yahoo article last week saying it was much better than Vista but still had a few issues so they wouldn't pay for it but would take the free upgrade.
    Sunshine Rewards

Just giving this a bump to see if anyone knows the answer to my original question.

Sunshine Rewards

Giving another bump, as I still haven't gotten an answer yet. I'd love to know before I buy my new computer if I can get credit for a desktop or not.

I'm back on the fence about laptop or desktop and think I need to go to Best Buy again to see if they can explain why the service plan is so crazy expensive on certain computers. I know it used to be based on price, but I've priced out several computers and get a different service plan price on each one. I've never used the in store p[ick up option yet for Best Buy, but if they tell me something completely different for the extended warranty in the store, I may just get it there instead of doing store pickup.

Sunshine Rewards