Thread: Disney Dream Update

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Default Disney Dream Update

I just saw this article on Yahoo News. This ship sounds pretty fun. I might have to look into it when the prices come down a little as I'm sure the first year or two of cruising on it will be pricey.

NEW YORK – Disney's new cruise ship will include a 765-foot-long water coaster ride and virtual portholes with a live view of the ocean for windowless staterooms.

The Disney Dream ship is scheduled to launch Jan. 26, 2011, from Port Canaveral, Fla., on a cruise to the Bahamas. It's the cruise line's third ship after Disney Wonder and Disney Magic, as well as its largest, with a capacity of 4,000 people.

The virtual portholes hang over beds in inside staterooms and stream live footage from video cameras mounted around the ship, with 24-hour views of the water and sky, punctuated occasionally by the appearance of a Disney character on the screen. Passengers have the option of turning the video off.

The ship's water coaster, called the AquaDuck, will send a two-person raft (with a picture of Donald Duck on it) on a flume ride around the perimeter of the ship's top deck, propelled up and down by water blasters. One loop of the ride juts 13 feet over the side of the ship, 150 feet above the ocean. The ride will take 90 seconds and will accommodate anyone 48 inches or taller.

The video portholes and AquaDuck are among a number of innovative features on the ship. Pictures in hallways will become animated as guests walk by; restaurant environments will change from day to night; kids can have conversations with animated Disney characters on a large plasma screen.

Asked to name his favorite part of the ship, Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, said: "It's hard not to love that water coaster."

Paul Motter, editor of CruiseMates.com, said the AquaDuck will be the longest ride at sea. Motter said the just-launched Carnival Dream "is the longest now at 303 feet, but Disney's is a stronger concept using a raft and the water jets that push you upstream. Plus the extension over the side of the ship gives it a real 'wow' factor."

He said another ship, Norwegian Epic, due out in May 2010, will have an inner-tube ride called The Epic Plunge. "Obviously, water slides are becoming one of the big attractions on ships," he added.

Disney Cruise Line was passed over recently in awards given out by CruiseCritic.com for best ships for families (Royal Caribbean won the category). But CruiseCritic.com editor in chief Carolyn Spencer Brown was enthusiastic about the Disney Dream.

"Disney's ships were cutting edge a decade ago but have been surpassed, innovation-wise, since," she said. "So all this new stuff, this is fantastic! It's a great boon for the family market, though I do still believe, and Disney hasn't yet convinced me otherwise, that it's a better cruise for Disney fanatics and families with younger kids."

Bookings for the Dream's first cruise opens Nov. 9.
    Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Never been on a Disney cruise but I would like to...I'm pretty sure that I would not be going on that water coaster ride though. Thanks for posting...I can't believe all these huge new cruise ships coming out and we all thought the economy was bad?
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I think these cruise ships were ordered and began being built before the economy crashed so they couldn't cancel. I do remember reading Royal Caribbean had originally planned on 4 but scaled back to the 2 (the one started today and the other next year) since they were in progress.

I think that I would be scared to shoot through a tube hanging off the cruise ship but I would get over it after one ride on it.
    Sunshine Rewards

I'm so looking forward to sailing on the Dream someday. The way pricing is lately, though, with the other sailings, I'm not sure I'll get to see her the first year she sails. sigh.

The Dream looks well...dreamy.

Looks awesome. But, I really don't think prices on DCL come down very much. As long as they keep filling the boats, there's no need for cheaper fares. With this economy, we're seeing some discounts (as at the parks) but I'm sure as the economy continues to improve, the prices will be crazy insane.

Guess I need to keep doing those surveys and clicking away!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    Never been on a Disney cruise but I would like to...I'm pretty sure that I would not be going on that water coaster ride though. Thanks for posting...I can't believe all these huge new cruise ships coming out and we all thought the economy was bad?
    The 3/4 day cruise prices aren't bad, but if you want to do a 7 day with Disney, it is almost double or triple the price than other cruise lines. I've been reading some of the Trip reports for people cruising on the DIS and some of the events, and what they offer are worth the price though.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
    The 3/4 day cruise prices aren't bad, but if you want to do a 7 day with Disney, it is almost double or triple the price than other cruise lines. I've been reading some of the Trip reports for people cruising on the DIS and some of the events, and what they offer are worth the price though.

That's the reason why we haven't gone...much better value on other cruise lines plus not as many kids. But I would like to experience it once in my life because I love Disney so much. We are booked on the NCL Epic though for next November 2010 and that wasn't too cheap.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Quote Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
    They are pricey, but worth it. I just avoid comparing DCL with other cruise lines and don't feel bad about it .

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Disney cruises, though expensive, are a great way to travel as a family, but parents still have alone time if they wish to do "adult" things. It's hard to beat that. Their children's programs are tops compared to other cruise ships in my opinion. I did enjoy my Disney cruise with my DD, SIL and my grandkids. Their shows and food were great! However, since DH and I don't cruise with kids, it's hard for me to justify the price for the two of us. Also, I found by the 4th or 5th day of the cruise, the "tweens" on the boat got to know one another and started making mad dashes down the corridors. I actually got knocked over sideways into my DD once. I have to admit, though, that water ride sounds really neat!
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards