Thread: American Girl store NY help

Default American Girl store NY help

We are headed to NYC next weekend and DD and I plan to be at AG store on Sunday morning when they open. Can anyone give me any advice on whether we should high-tail it to the Doll Salon or Photo Studio first? DD would like to do both and we're not sure what our strategy should be. Does anyone know if a line forms outside the door at opening? I know they don't take appointments for either and am not sure how we should approach the trip.

Thanks for any help!
    Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    We are headed to NYC next weekend and DD and I plan to be at AG store on Sunday morning when they open. Can anyone give me any advice on whether we should high-tail it to the Doll Salon or Photo Studio first? DD would like to do both and we're not sure what our strategy should be. Does anyone know if a line forms outside the door at opening? I know they don't take appointments for either and am not sure how we should approach the trip.

Thanks for any help!
    This grandma has been included on a few excursions there. We usually take the train into NYC and get to the store about 20 minutes before opening. Yes, there is a line, but not a HUGE line at that time. Prior to the store opening, the line gets much, much longer. One of the first places people seem to dash for is the Doll Salon. When you go through the doors, turn left, and when you come to the first main room, it is on the right. I can't speak to the Photo Studio as we haven't done that before. Perhaps someone else can more fully answer your question. You and DD will have a blast!
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

Ooh! Ooh! I'm going to be in NYC on Saturday too!
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

We have been to the AG in NYC & in Boston. Never at opening though.

DD had her photo done in NYC. It looked like there was no line, but when we went up to the desk, they took down our name and said to come back at such and such time, so we browsed around the store a bit, came back and only had a short wait then. The photos came out beautiful!

Did not go to the hair salon in NYC, as she went to buy a new doll.

We did go to the hair salon in Boston. They had us fill out a slip, and leave the doll to wait. They gave us an estimate on the wait to when they would start her doll (about 25min). We came back 10 mins before the wait was up and they were just starting her doll's hair. Was disappointed they would have started without us if we had not passed by at that moment. I also did not like leaving the doll.

Think I would go to the hair salon first, as it seemed more complicated for us. Also the hair salon was on the first floor, and the photo studio was on the third floor.

And since they take photos of the girls with their dolls, does she want her doll's hair done in the photo?

Enjoy your trip, AG place is a lot of fun!!!
    Kathleen

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for the tips! I think we'll sprint to the hair salon as that seems to get a longer line. Then, after Mia's do is done, we'll get her picture taken with DD. We're going to see my Rockette cousin dance on Saturday morning at Radio City, have Mary Poppins tix for Sat. night and have so much other fun stuff planned for Friday night and Saturday afternoon (TRU, Dylan's, Disney, Nintendo). I just hope there's time late Friday or Saturday night for a trip to Serendipity for some frozen hot chocolate. It's the first "overnight" trip to the city for the kids so we're really looking forward to it.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by fourfoxesinpa View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I think we'll sprint to the hair salon as that seems to get a longer line. Then, after Mia's do is done, we'll get her picture taken with DD. We're going to see my Rockette cousin dance on Saturday morning at Radio City, have Mary Poppins tix for Sat. night and have so much other fun stuff planned for Friday night and Saturday afternoon (TRU, Dylan's, Disney, Nintendo). I just hope there's time late Friday or Saturday night for a trip to Serendipity for some frozen hot chocolate. It's the first "overnight" trip to the city for the kids so we're really looking forward to it.
    Dylan's has a very good Frozen hot chocolate as well. Will your cousin be in the 1pm show?
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Dylan's has a very good Frozen hot chocolate as well. Will your cousin be in the 1pm show?
    Oooohhh....thanks for the heads up. Yes, she will be in that show as well. If you get a program, her stage name is Danielle Kelsey. She is the tallest one and is usually smack dab in the center. DD doesn't know it yet, but cuz Danielle is going to take her backstage to see where the dancers get ready. DD will just explode!
    Sunshine Rewards

I hope you all had fun, can't wait to hear about the trip. We were in NYC last weekend and went into the AG store with our friends, the place was packed and by the number of bags going out the door you would never know we are in tough economic times!
    We saw the Rockettes Christmas show last year it was wonderful as was Mary Poppins. This year went to to see Shrek which was very cute and fun!

Please give us a trip report when you return!!
    Thanks bs4free!
    Sunshine Rewards