Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have the eBates toolbar installed?

Default Do you have the eBates toolbar installed?

If you do, you have adware and don't even know it. While you think that you are getting better deals, you may actually be losing your Sunshine Rewards credits.

http://research.sunbelt-software.com...&threatid=4758

eBates.Moe MoneyMaker

Type Adware

Type Description Adware, also known as advertising software, displays third-party advertising on the computer. The ads can take several forms, including pop-ups, pop-unders, banners, or links embedded within web pages or parts of the Windows interface. Some adware advertising might consists of text ads shown within the application itself or within side bars, search bars, and search results. Adware is often contextually or behaviorally based and tracks browsing habits in order to display ads that are meant to be relevant to the user.

Category Adware (General)

Category Description Adware, also known as advertising software, displays third-party advertising on the computer. The ads can take several forms, including pop-ups, pop-unders, banners, or links embedded within web pages or parts of the Windows interface. Some adware advertising might consists of text ads shown within the application itself or within side bars, search bars, and search results. Adware is often contextually or behaviorally based and tracks browsing habits in order to display ads that are meant to be relevant to the user.

Level Elevated

Level Description Elevated risks are typically installed without adequate notice and consent, and may make unwanted changes to your system, such as reconfiguring your browser's homepage and search settings. These risks may install advertising-related add-ons, including toolbars and search bars, or insert advertising-related components into the Winsock Layered Service Provider chain. These new add-ons and components may block or redirect your preferred network connections, and can negatively impact your computer's performance and stability. Elevated risks may also collect, transmit, and share potentially sensitive data without adequate notice and consent.

Advice Type Remove
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

FYI-both ******** and ******** also have tool bars, so keep your eyes peeled.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Yep. And they both do the exact same thing. Which is why you will not see some of our favorite merchants (like Cyber Cucina and Faith Wear) even listed on their sites. They refuse to work with them no matter how big they are.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

OOPS! looks like it's time for the ******** toolbar to go!

Thanks for the heads up!! I am removing it now.

Laura

Yes. I had the ebates toolbar installed when I first started with SR. I didn't do any shopping in the beginning, so it wasn't a problem. But, the first VistaPrint offer I did, I had such a hard time. Even when I clicked on the SR link, I would get the ebates popup. So, I knew I wasn't going to get SR credit. It took me forever to figure out how to uninstall the ebates program. Finally figured it out and haven't gone back since. And I am very happy with that decision!

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Big Bump!
    Sunshine Rewards

Question answered, thanks!
    Last edited by AuroraBorealis; 08-13-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: question answered.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Anything that is starred out is a competing reward program's name. Most of the big ones have these toolbars. Feel free to PM me with the names of your toolbars if you are worried. I don't mind looking and replying.
    Sunshine Rewards

Since I don't belong to ebates (I had to look online to see what it was) or any other reward sites, they I wouldn't have any toolbar installed, right? I really don't know much about what you're talking about, so I figured I was safe, but thought I would check to make sure.
    Mary Lynn
    Proud to be SR member #6669

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Quote Originally Posted by Iteach View Post
    Since I don't belong to ebates (I had to look online to see what it was) or any other reward sites, they I wouldn't have any toolbar installed, right? I really don't know much about what you're talking about, so I figured I was safe, but thought I would check to make sure.
    You shouldn't. You just have to make sure if you opted to install something like the Yahoo/Ask.com/Google toolbars that you didn't select a popup blocker or cookie blocker through the toolbar.
    Sunshine Rewards