Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra-special magic?

Default Extra-special magic?

We booked today for our family trip next Aug. (I know it's super early, but I just couldn't wait any longer ). My parents will be celebrating their anniversary while we are there, and I'd like to do something extra-special that night. They would prefer to do something with the whole group (6 adults, 3 kids) than by themselves. I was thinking about a grand gathering of some sort - has anyone done any of these? Or renting a pontoon boat for illuminations. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences to share? Thanks!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

Congrats! I have no ideas but thought I'd bump ya! Good luck
    <Sunshine Rewards

I also am no help. Just wanted to say congratulations on booking your trip! It is so fun to actually book and know that your trip is beginning to become reality!
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by linanglab View Post
    I also am no help. Just wanted to say congratulations on booking your trip! It is so fun to actually book and know that your trip is beginning to become reality!
    Thanks so much My parents haven't been to WDW since they took all of us kids when I was in high school (so a LOOOONG time ago ), and now they get to come with the Grandkids! We're really looking forward to it! And I want to surprise them with a special experience. Saw something about renting a pontoon for illuminations. Or else I may look into the grand gatherings some more.....at least I have lots of time to figure it out!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by zoodoyle View Post
    Thanks so much My parents haven't been to WDW since they took all of us kids when I was in high school (so a LOOOONG time ago ), and now they get to come with the Grandkids! We're really looking forward to it! And I want to surprise them with a special experience. Saw something about renting a pontoon for illuminations. Or else I may look into the grand gatherings some more.....at least I have lots of time to figure it out!!
    That is us! We are taking my husbands parents in Jan 2009. They have never been so I want everything to be perfect. I have thought of a cruise. But I have lots of time to plan. Good luck with the ideas
    <Sunshine Rewards

How about a vow renewal at the Poly on the beach and then dinner at O'hana?? The Illuminations cruise would be so much fun, you can even book those with food and drinks too! If you were going to do the cruise, you could also have dinner at the Coral Reef with special menus made for them and a diver with a anniversary sign.(we did the menus and diver for my son when we were there in May, it is free, and I know Abby here on the boards, her and her dad also did it for her mother for their Anniversary.) I have all the contact info if you choose to go that way! You can also contact the bakery and have a special cake made for them and I believe they will deliver it to your resteraunt or have their for your cruise. There is a thread on the cakes on the disboards!!!
    Congratulations on booking your trip and how wonderful to take your parents too!!!
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

wdwabby is offline I'm like the MacGyver of crafting - I'll figure something out!

We rented a boat for Wishes and it was amazing! We had a plate of sandwiches along with chips and pop from the GF catering and my dad ordered an anniversary cake (delicious and gorgeous!) GF catering can do basically any type of food service you want - the group that went out on the Grand 1 that night had a full plated dinner - so there's an option for any taste (and any budget! )

We caught the electrical water pageant before Wishes and then watched the fireworks - it was such a perfect evening and very neat to have a different perspective on the fireworks. We had one of the boats that has the music piped in (not all of them have that feature) and it was a fantastic experience.

If you're on the DIS, there is a entire thread for the fireworks cruises - and various tips for getting your reservation in since they book up fast. It may be easier to aim for a Wishes cruise instead of Illuminations - there are only 5 boats available for Illuminations as opposed to a dozen or so for Wishes.

As Lydia mentioned, my dad also did the special menus and diver sign at the Coral Reef - both of which were free for the asking, he just had to call ahead of time. If you want to do that, keep in mind that while the diver signs are free, there are only a limited number of spots each day, so get your request in early. If you want the lady to contact, I can get the information from my dad. I've started a TR here and there are pictures of the experience at Coral Reef - the parents also received complimentary champagne, which was a very sweet touch.

My parents wore their anniversary pins throughout the entire trip and were showered with well-wishes and congrats from CMs and guests alike, which made it very special. They also received a few of the Magical Moments certificates on various days, which are cute and a great keepsake.

When we did Breakfast at CRT, they also received complimentary champagne glasses - so make sure that the anniversary is noted on any of the ADRs you make. At other restaurants we went to - the table was usually decorated with a little confetti, which again, made it just that little bit extra special (and yes, I scraped it off the table to take home for the scrapbook!) Disney does a lot of those little things when a special occasion is noted - so just mention it when you make the ADRs and wear the pins
    Sunshine Rewards
    Joined 6/1/07 Sunshining my way back to WDW ... one penny at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by wdwabby View Post
    We rented a boat for Wishes and it was amazing! We had a plate of sandwiches along with chips and pop from the GF catering and my dad ordered an anniversary cake (delicious and gorgeous!) GF catering can do basically any type of food service you want - the group that went out on the Grand 1 that night had a full plated dinner - so there's an option for any taste (and any budget! )

We caught the electrical water pageant before Wishes and then watched the fireworks - it was such a perfect evening and very neat to have a different perspective on the fireworks. We had one of the boats that has the music piped in (not all of them have that feature) and it was a fantastic experience.

If you're on the DIS, there is a entire thread for the fireworks cruises - and various tips for getting your reservation in since they book up fast. It may be easier to aim for a Wishes cruise instead of Illuminations - there are only 5 boats available for Illuminations as opposed to a dozen or so for Wishes.

As Lydia mentioned, my dad also did the special menus and diver sign at the Coral Reef - both of which were free for the asking, he just had to call ahead of time. If you want to do that, keep in mind that while the diver signs are free, there are only a limited number of spots each day, so get your request in early. If you want the lady to contact, I can get the information from my dad. I've started a TR here and there are pictures of the experience at Coral Reef - the parents also received complimentary champagne, which was a very sweet touch.

My parents wore their anniversary pins throughout the entire trip and were showered with well-wishes and congrats from CMs and guests alike, which made it very special. They also received a few of the Magical Moments certificates on various days, which are cute and a great keepsake.

When we did Breakfast at CRT, they also received complimentary champagne glasses - so make sure that the anniversary is noted on any of the ADRs you make. At other restaurants we went to - the table was usually decorated with a little confetti, which again, made it just that little bit extra special (and yes, I scraped it off the table to take home for the scrapbook!) Disney does a lot of those little things when a special occasion is noted - so just mention it when you make the ADRs and wear the pins

WOW!! Thank you so much for all the suggestions!!! Guess I'll have to go find that thread about the cruises!! I'll have to think a bit more about my budget too I've been waiting for the next quarter to start doing offers, but when Oct. hits, I gotta' start making more moolah!!!
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

On our 10th anniversary the whole family went to the Hoop-DE-Doo. We all had a blast. Just make sure you tell them there is an Anniversary in your group

i second the wishes cruise.

we did it this past april. this was my hubby's first visit to disney and just could not figure out why i love going there. so i had to show him that it was not just a thrill rides park. (i don't do thrill rides).
    ..so i reserved a wishes cruise. wow, really one of the most memorable and enjoyable, and very relaxing time.
    ..we got it out of the contemporary. i ordered the piped in music. and i ordered a specialty cake from the contemporary private dining. it was a potc cake, and very nice. snacks and drinks are included in price.
    ..the time is suppose to be around 1 hour out. but i swear it seemed more like 2 hours. our driver took us all over the place, gave us a great tour, we also got to see the electric light parade(the water one).
    ..the cost was slightly over $300. but i mentioned this on another board, not sure if it was dis or not. but another family wanted to share with us. and of course i had to share the magic so yes, we split the cost, which really made it more manageable.

I HIGHLY recommend the wishes or illuminations cruise.

the diver/banner is another special treat that is free. we did that also. i also ordered a specialty cake here, the big mickey mouse head shaped one.

it was my son's 8th birthday and hubby's first time to the world, so i went a bit over board. we were caked out !

you can also order baskets to be delivered to the rooms, with the autograph books and passport, or lanyard pins, refillable mugs, and well anything in them. i ordered 2 of them, one for my son's bday and one for hubby's first visit. pins were in the baskets also.

together everything worked out extremely well. and hubby is now going again this april and even thinking about the year after in 2009!

good luck to you.