Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deceptive Online Shopping Sites?

Default Deceptive Online Shopping Sites?

Just wanted to post about this in case anyone you know is telling you to be careful of using a site like Sunshine Rewards. This was all over the news tonight:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/17...g-wallofshame/

Basically it is talking about those opportunities you get to join "shopping clubs" where your credit card gets billed every month.

We are VERY careful at SR to help our members make sure that they are not signing up for something that they do not want. We never take your credit card number or cell phone number. We invite feedback on all offers and merchants and if we get reports about shady practices, we post warnings or pull the offer/merchant altogether.

My philosophy is that I wouldn't tell any of you anything to do that I wouldn't tell my own friends or family to do. I'm open about how I feel about all of the offers and merchants.

If you have any questions at all about what is going on in Congress, with these "loyalty sites," or pretty much anything else(!), don't hesitate to ask me. I'll answer as best I can.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

Thanks for posting this. Just shameful. We all know that SR is a moral, legitimate and outstanding company! And if any newbies question the legitmacy of SR, just a little search through the threads would add validity to any doubts. Many of us have posted about our goodies we've earned through SR!

Keep up the good work!
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks Tricia!
    That is why even though there are other reward sites... SR is the one for me.
    Faith
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Proud to be SR member #3129

Oh gosh, if anyone questioned me about sunshine, I'd have an earful for them!

I watched that report, and *right there, visible on the screen*, is, paraphrasing, "get $10 off your next order for joining" blahdeeblah. Not sure how it could be more obvious that you're joining something.

I actually just ordered some pictures, and they have the "get $10 off" line, and I've seen it a million times and read it the first few times, and it's obvious IMO.

The report stopped for some reason with the web usability guy, and I just wanted him to tell consumers to READ what is on the screen as they are buying it, but as far as I got it just seemed he was blaming the companies...sigh. Just go slow, and when money's on the line, read before you click.

And none of that even has anything at all to do with sunshine! Thank you for making us aware of it, so we can get ourselves ready.
    Sunshine Rewards

Ya, well, I don't think we'd have Sunshine meetups face to face with our members if we were trying to be deceptive at all. Our lives are pretty much an open book and anyone could track us down.

I'll be the first to admit that I HATE that some of our more popular merchants have that "save $10.00 the next time you shop with us" coupon crap for signing up for a club after you make your purchase. Not sure how anyone talked them into that, except, I'm sure they get a kickback. Tricia and I even talk to merchants when we see that "hey wait, don't go someone wants to talk to you" popup and ask them to remove those hokey things.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinecindy View Post
    Ya, well, I don't think we'd have Sunshine meetups face to face with our members if we were trying to be deceptive at all. Our lives are pretty much an open book and anyone could track us down.

I'll be the first to admit that I HATE that some of our more popular merchants have that "save $10.00 the next time you shop with us" coupon crap for signing up for a club after you make your purchase. Not sure how anyone talked them into that, except, I'm sure they get a kickback. Tricia and I even talk to merchants when we see that "hey wait, don't go someone wants to talk to you" popup and ask them to remove those hokey things.
    Thank goodness-I was getting sick of those.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

There are definitely some really big names on that list. Some of them are merchants that we really like working with and it doesn't impact our affiliate relationship at all. But it is good for everyone to understand what those shopping clubs are all about and how they work. And to know to be careful when you do see those popups up the end.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

It's wierd, because there is a big one not on the list, and many times, we ask that you get the merchant-JCP.
    I got caught up once after I ordered something and it said takek $10 off your order. I found out they take $10 off your credit card each month. I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to get me out of the program.

I'll be the first to admit that I HATE that some of our more popular merchants have that "save $10.00 the next time you shop with us" coupon crap for signing up for a club after you make your purchase. Not sure how anyone talked them into that, except, I'm sure they get a kickback.
    I never understood why merchants do that except for the kickback. Just goes to show you.......money talks!

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Just wanted to post about this in case anyone you know is telling you to be careful of using a site like Sunshine Rewards. This was all over the news tonight:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/17...g-wallofshame/

Basically it is talking about those opportunities you get to join "shopping clubs" where your credit card gets billed every month.

We are VERY careful at SR to help our members make sure that they are not signing up for something that they do not want. We never take your credit card number or cell phone number. We invite feedback on all offers and merchants and if we get reports about shady practices, we post warnings or pull the offer/merchant altogether.

My philosophy is that I wouldn't tell any of you anything to do that I wouldn't tell my own friends or family to do. I'm open about how I feel about all of the offers and merchants.

If you have any questions at all about what is going on in Congress, with these "loyalty sites," or pretty much anything else(!), don't hesitate to ask me. I'll answer as best I can.

Just two of the MANY reasons why I/we SR!!

So open and honest and why I trust you guys.
    Sunshine Rewards