Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rescheduled Trip

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Default The Rescheduled Trip

Otherwise entitled: The we had to cancel our May trip for my mom's birthday because she got really sick so we rescheduled for my birthday but I've been afraid it still wouldn't happen trip. (You can see why I went for the shorter title)

Pre-trip Report:

I have been afraid to plan too much for this trip because in the back of my mind I've been worried that it wouldn't happen. Since we are leaving on Tuesday, I am now pretty confident that all will go well.

Cast of Characters:

Me: Turning 35 on this trip and a generally acknowledged Disney nut

Mom: In her 60's, willing to let me plan just about everything

When Disney came out with their birthday promotion this year it of course made me want to plan a trip. I had some DVC points that I needed to use but didn't really have the time (or the points) to do a trip to WDW so I talked to my mom about joining me at Disneyland for her birthday. She was very excited and we planned out all the details. We didn't count on her faulty heart valve (she was born with the issue) deciding to give out last winter. They scheduled her for surgery and if everything went well we would still be able to go with a few modifications. As some of you know, things did not go well. The surgery went fine but she developed pnemonia and spent 6 days in the ICU. There were a couple of times when the staff thought she wouldn't make it (they don't know how stubborn she is) but she pulled through and has now recovered.

Once we had made the sad decision to cancel the trip, I started planning again. I was pretty sure she would be better by fall, so I considered an October trip to check out the Halloween goodies. But that birthday promo was still playing and we decided to go for my birthday and celebrate them both!

So we are off on December 1 to fly to LAX and take the Disneyland Express Shuttle to the Paradise Pier Hotel for three fabulous nights. I have booked the Holiday Tour for December 2 (thanks to my SR Rewards!) and have a special lunch planned for my actual birthday thanks to a wonderful SR friend . Other than that I have kept planning to a minimum and hope to just enjoy being in my happiest place. I just wish the trip was going to be longer as I know I won't want to leave.

I'll take lots of pictures for the trip report.
    Sunshine Rewards

kimntrent is offline How fun this was. I loved it. Can we do it again some time?

Ohhhh at a certain club

megan

so glad you are finally able to take this trip....I know how much you and your mom were looking forward to it!! Now is your chance to celebrate not only your birthday, but a recovery year for your mom. You both deserve this trip. Have a Blast!!

Pamela
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

Hope you and your mother have a wonderful time Megan!!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Can't wait until you ge back. Been awhile since we have had a good trip report. PLUS I really want to get to Disneyland soon. Hubby only wants to do WDW but I want to do a roadtrip and do Cali Disney!
    <Sunshine Rewards

I have returned and will try and get the trip report going tomorrow. It was amazing, I only wish it had been longer!
    Sunshine Rewards

Default Day One

We started out early and had to fly a roundabout route but we made it to LAX a bit early. That means we caught the shuttle half an hour ahead of schedule. We checked into the Paradise Pier Hotel and had a view of the pool (and the parking lot) from the 6th floor. We basically dropped our stuff and headed for the parks. Mom's first request was to get a Dole whip. Once she had that we wandered through the park. We rode Haunted Mansion and enjoyed the changes that Jack Skellington had made. All lines were only about 10 - 15 minutes long so we got a lot done before heading back to the room to grab our coats for the night. We were a bit surprised at how quickly the temperature dropped. We hadn't really had lunch so we decided to try out the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ. I can't believe that I didn't take any pictures here! The food was good (the sausage was amazing) and the show was pretty cute. After dinner we rode more rides until it was time for the fireworks. I love how they light up the castle for the holidays.

Sunshine Rewards

Default Morning of Day 2 - Can't believe we have to wait until 10!

On Wednesday, both parks were opening at 10:00 am. Being that I was awake at 6:00 it felt like forever before it was time to leave for the parks. We decided to try California Adventure for the morning and were able to use the Grand Californian Guest entrance to get in a bit earlier. We headed straight for Soarin' and when we got off we were just in time for the rope drop that let everyone run for Toy Storia Mania. We didn't run, but we still only had a 15 minute wait. This is a great ride! My mom beat me in accuracy but I had more points. How some people get the higher scores I can't imagine. My mom also talked me on to California Screamin', the big roller coaster. Let's just say this will be my only time on that particular ride. Of course their photo system was down so I have no proof that I went on it darn it!

We stopped for a photo in front of the CA tree. We are stylin' shirts that were sent by an SR member (thanks again!)

We had an early lunch at Pacific Wharf Cafe. We shared the chicken salad and the broccoli cheese soup. The salad was yummy with walnuts, apples and cranberries and the soup was nice and creamy. We did get some funny looks because it was just 11:00 and most people were still getting breakfast. After eating, we headed over to the other side of CA. We tried to ride Monsters Inc. but it was down so we did Tower of Terror instead. On our way back to the hotel we rode Grizzly River Rapids, another first for me! I got so wet that I was glad we were going back to change! I didn't have a camera with me, didn't want it to get wet, so no photo of that unfortunately.
    Sunshine Rewards

Yea! So glad to see you start this! I want to go so badly. Not sure this is going to help that. What a beautiful castle pic.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Default Afternoon of Day 2 - It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas

After changing our of our soaked clothes into something a bit warmer, we headed back to Disneyland. We were scheduled to do the Holiday Tour at 3:00. We hung out on Main Street until it was time to check in. There were three groups all going out at the same time and we ended up in Group 1 with Angela. She was great; she usually does the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour so she had a lot of info. My mom had been concerned about being able to hear everything but they give you your own headphones so that wasn't a problem. She even played music as we walked from one place to another. She talked a little about how the decorations are themed, how many lights and how many people do the decorating. Honestly, I can't remember all the info. We were supposed to ride Haunted Mansion but Jack was redecorating (the ride broke down) so we just caught the train over to Toon Town and killed some time before riding It's a Small World Holiday edition.

I honestly preferred this version!

Once we came out of there we got our treats, a collector's mug of hot chocolate and a yummy gingerbread man! Then we were directed to our reserved seats for the parade (facing IASW) and waited.

The parade was great, although this is at the end of the route so some of the floats seemed rushed and sometimes there was a back log so it was hit or miss whether we got a good view or not. These guys are my favourite part (coming in a close second are the reindeer but they moved to fast for a good pic!)

After the parade the tour was over. We got our pins and said our goodbyes. We spent the rest of the evening riding some of our favourite rides. The lines were not bad all night. We stayed until 9:00, which was park closing and then poked in the shops down Main Street. I managed to replace the perfume bottle that a bird broke this fall when it decided to come down my chimney.

I forgot to say that we ate at the Plaza. We shared a chicken dinner. I about fell over when she put four pieces of chicken on the plate so we didn't get a second meal. This was our first time eating here and we both enjoyed it.
    Last edited by bbangel; 12-08-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Sunshine Rewards