Thread: Amtrak?

Default Amtrak?

Anybody have any experience taking Amtrak. I'm taking it for the first time this weekend-anything I should know?
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Are those just the trains or the busses? My mom took a bus from my house back to hers after one of my girls was born.

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Nothing special. Just be sure to show up at the station on time. Also, check to see if you need to buy your ticket ahead of time or if you can purchase it at the station. In many places, you can buy it right on the train. However, if you already have your ticket, no problem.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Are those just the trains or the busses? My mom took a bus from my house back to hers after one of my girls was born.
    I'm taking a train-NYC->Bostonish.

make sure you arrive on time. (not that the train will LOL) be prepared for the train to be delayed.

are you traveling coach seats or do you have a room. if you have a room, remember they are small!

if going coach seats, don't worry, they recline a good ways back. but i still find them uncomfortable.

i really enjoy the train myself. they have food and it really is not bad, but it does seem like they are premade and then when you order a meal they take it out and zap in the microwave.
    all star movies for 10! jun 15-21. what a nightmare of a vacation.

Take a look at the train's schedule to see if the route is at the very beginning when you get on. If so, it will likely be on time. But if it starts before your station, it will likely be late. Well, unless YOU are late.

I don't know specifics for the East coast trains, having only been on the West coast ones, but I do know that Amtrak as a whole is known for being on the later side of their schedules...
    Sunshine Rewards

This is most likely too late and you already left. I take the train from Providence to NYC and back all the time.

You can buy your tickets online ahead of time. If you do that you still need to check in at the desk to get your ticket. They will give you the tickets for both ways. I would get to the train station early.

In NYC, I leave from Penn Station. You have to wait in the lobby area until they call your train "ready to board" then get in line.....show your ticket to security and go down to the train. They take your ticket once you are on the train!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

have fun and enjoy your train ride, let us know all about it when you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    This is most likely too late and you already left. I take the train from Providence to NYC and back all the time.

You can buy your tickets online ahead of time. If you do that you still need to check in at the desk to get your ticket. They will give you the tickets for both ways. I would get to the train station early.

In NYC, I leave from Penn Station. You have to wait in the lobby area until they call your train "ready to board" then get in line.....show your ticket to security and go down to the train. They take your ticket once you are on the train!
    Thanks for the tips!
    It was actually pretty painless-I got to Penn Station, got my ticket at the Ticket thingy, then I waited for my train. There was a train to VA that was supposed to leave about two hours before mine did, but it was delayed, so the lobby was packed. I found the train comfortable, and it wasn't too slow (I found that it pretty much traced rte. 95).

glad to hear it wasn't too bad.