Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with Children

Default Flying with Children

The family will be going to WDW in October. My son, my daughter and her BF will be flying on SWA with my 2 grandchildren ages 5 & 2.

We won't be flying with them, we're going down beforehand.

The kids will have their own airline seats and no car seats. We'll get them with the rental car and they would be just one more thing for my son to carry.

What will my son need in order not to have an issue going through security and getting on the plane? I talked to SWA and they weren't very helpful which is not like them. I probably should have just called back.

I asked if he needed to bring their birth certificates and the CS rep said it would probably be a good idea. Okay.....what else??

I was going to get them Rapid Rewards accounts before hand...will that help?

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone with kids can give me to make the process go smooth for them.

My daughter commented......3 Adults + 2 Kids = Kids Win.

Thanks!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

We have taken passports and birth certificates and they have never looked at either! I always have them ready though. They usually ask the kids their names. That's about it. We don't have frequent traveler numbers for the girls yet, although they both fly about twice a year. We've flown with them since they were babies and it really isn't too bad at all.

Definitely check the SWA early boarding procedures. Their early boarding is about the worst of all of the airlines.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

Our kids are always asked their names also. But, we HAVE been required to provide a birth certificate before for our kids when going through security, so it would be best to have it on you just in case.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

I hate to throw a curve ball...but I might suggest taking your own car seat and booster for the 5 yr old.

I have heard some interesting stories about car rental places not having the car seats even though reserved or about the seats being very dirty!

You can use the seat on the plane (if you have a window seat) or you can gate check it. The booster seat you just need the bottom which can be thrown into a duffle or suitcase.

It might also be easier to get the 2yr old to sit if they are used to their own car seat.

Just the thoughts from a mommy who has flown with kids those ages...

PS Never needed any paperwork to fly with the kids...but it has been over a year since I flew with them. We drive a lot now (UGH!!!!!!!!)
    Last edited by ligrumpygirl; 03-12-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Sunshine Rewards

yikes! are you guys all saying that kids need birth certificates to fly??? The last time we flew with them was a little over a year ago and we didn't need ANYTHING! They didn't even ask the kids any questions...we just pointed our kids out and said this is so and so...

Should I contact our airline to see if this is required for us now????

Also, Kathie, how long is their flight going to be? We flew with a 3, 6, and 8 yr. old the last time we flew, but it was only about 2 1/2- 3 hour flight...

They were actually all really good! They're always fascinated by take off and seeing everything get smaller and the clouds which occupies some time, then the snacks, we brought the wdw for kids books for them and they were all looking at the pictures (even the 3 yr. old) and talking about what they were going to do...and they fooled around with the free satellite radio thing, and then we were landing and they were all pressed up against the windows

Paper and crayons go a long way too!

Quote Originally Posted by lkat View Post
    yikes! are you guys all saying that kids need birth certificates to fly??? The last time we flew with them was a little over a year ago and we didn't need ANYTHING! They didn't even ask the kids any questions...we just pointed our kids out and said this is so and so...

Also, Kathie, how long is their flight going to be? We flew with a 3, 6, and 8 yr. old the last time we flew, but it was only about 2 1/2- 3 hour flight...

They were actually all really good! They're always fascinated by take off and seeing everything get smaller and the clouds which occupies some time, then the snacks, we brought the wdw for kids books for them and they were all looking at the pictures (even the 3 yr. old) and talking about what they were going to do...and they fooled around with the free satellite radio thing, and then we were landing and they were all pressed up against the windows

I am not saying they always need birth certificates. We have flown with our kids several times where they haven't required anything. But there was an instance where we did need to show it, so I was glad I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by lkat View Post

So sorry if I made you panic. I'm an "A" type.........I need all my ducks in a row and I wanted to be prepared. My son on the other hand.......must be the milkman's kid because he is the biggest procrastinator you ever met. His middle name is Lastminute.

With all the security for adults......I figured there was some for kids too as far as ID's etc. Maybe the SWA CS was being as evasive as I thought and was just humoring me by telling me that it might be a good idea to being their birth certificates.

Maybe I was confused with international flights? I'm going to look at the TSA website to be sure.

The flight is a little less than 3 hours. The 5 year old will be fine. He's been looking at my Disney books and talking about WDW for 2 years. Everytime we watch a Disney movie at my house and they show the castle, Nicholas says, "We're going to go there." and looks at me. I told him, 'yes we are.....you have to get a little bigger first."

The 2 year old on the other hand has her moments. I'm hoping that by October (she'll be 3 in December), she'll mellow a little. She changes everyday. Up until a few months ago, she was a screamer. She still screams, but not as often. Thank goodness. That kid could shatter glass.

They don't know that they are going yet.

So thanks for the info. The plan is to pack a DVD player, snacks and def coloring book and crayons.

What time of the day did you fly?

First time I looked at this thread none of your responses were there except Lkat. Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    We have taken passports and birth certificates and they have never looked at either! I always have them ready though. They usually ask the kids their names. That's about it. We don't have frequent traveler numbers for the girls yet, although they both fly about twice a year. We've flown with them since they were babies and it really isn't too bad at all.

Definitely check the SWA early boarding procedures. Their early boarding is about the worst of all of the airlines.
    I know. I'm paying the $10 PP so they can board first. If I was there and could help them...I wouldn't do it. I spend a lot of time with my grand daughter and she is good for me. Their mother isn't going.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    Our kids are always asked their names also. But, we HAVE been required to provide a birth certificate before for our kids when going through security, so it would be best to have it on you just in case.
    Thanks for that. I just don't want them to have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ligrumpygirl View Post
    I hate to throw a curve ball...but I might suggest taking your own car seat and booster for the 5 yr old.

I have heard some interesting stories about car rental places not having the car seats even though reserved or about the seats being very dirty!

You can use the seat on the plane (if you have a window seat) or you can gate check it. The booster seat you just need the bottom which can be thrown into a duffle or suitcase.

It might also be easier to get the 2yr old to sit if they are used to their own car seat.

Just the thoughts from a mommy who has flown with kids those ages...

PS Never needed any paperwork to fly with the kids...but it has been over a year since I flew with them. We drive a lot now (UGH!!!!!!!!)
    I was thinking about taking the car seat for 2 year old, especially in light of the fact that she can be a challenge, my son doesn't want to take it. The seats have to be FAA approved don't they? I'm also going to Orlando next month. I will check with National about the car seats and boosters. Many times I have seen them lined up, piled high in plastic. If the car seats are nasty......he'll have to take it.

I don't envy you driving. We drove back and forth Vero Beach/ RI twice in the past 2 years. NEVER again. You haven't lived until you've driven from NYC through CT on 95 into RI. Thought I was on the Autoban. Surprised we survived.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    I wanted to add that my grandson will tell you his name and address. If anyone talks to my grand daughter, she'll most likely dive under a table and scream bloody murder.

Another question........how do they handle kids going through the security? Will they make them walk by themselves. Can the little one stay in the stroller? How does that work?

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    So sorry if I made you panic. I'm an "A" type.........I need all my ducks in a row and I wanted to be prepared. My son on the other hand.......must be the milkman's kid because he is the biggest procrastinator you ever met. His middle name is Lastminute.
    I thought you had a dairy allergy??
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES