Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Artificial Eating

I think it is great that people are starting to realize that "artificial eating" is worse for you than the food companies say. Good old fashioned "real" or whole food is what people need to be eating - not chemicals and preservatives.

I am AMAZED at the many different effects that the artificial stuff has on all of us - weight issues, cancer issues, behavioral issues. It is mind boggling that people continue to believe that our diets aren't the problem!

I did a one month break from all processed food, carbs, and sugar. Only ate natural sugar from fruit and lean meats, veggies, nuts. I cannot believe the difference it made in my energy level and my feeling of well-being. It also really opened my eyes to how addicted I am to sugar and carbs. I am doing it again this month in conjunction with point counting to try to start shedding some pounds and feeling better!
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

I got the Jillian Michael's book in yesterday and I started reading it last night. While I don't think it is a good read (very dry and too many technical terms) I do think it contains some amazing information and statistics. I don't drink Diet Sodas but Brandon does and thinks he is doing good by drinking them instead of regular sodas. Well it would seem that Diet Sodas are horrible for your body! The artificial sweeteners make your body think that sweet foods aren't bad and don't need to be released and so your body holds on to every bit of sweet you eat. The body thinks it is good food for energy. ACK!

I also found it amazing that there is an additive used by soda companies to prevent mold from growing in the bottles and this additive is very toxic to our bodies and totally reaks havoc on our hormones and yet the only company that has removed it from their bottling process is Coca Cola.

I was also shocked to find out that the correlation used between obesity and diabetes is not necessarily a true one. It seems it is more likely that the chemicals we injest are causing issues in our body that mimic diabetes and therefore our bodies respond to those changes and hold on to the weight in response and then we end up actually developing diabetes because of it!

I am definitely looking at every label in the house now and I feel like I am sitting in the middle of a land mine field of toxins LOL.

BTW, all of those so called "diet foods" that are prepacked are often the worst for us. They use chemicals and substitutes to create "food" that isn't really food at all. Ugh!
    Sunshine Rewards

I've been reading a lot of these same things from other sources! I'm really torn now on things like yogurt. I mean, I want to eat the low fat, no sugar added yogurt but now I am a little afraid of it. I'm trying to find a good balance. I used to drink about a quart of crystal light a day and I have completely cut that out. I'm really anxious to see if these changes make a difference.

Kevin weighed in on day 6 and had lost 7 pounds. While I'm sure some of it is water weight, he has also been drinking a good deal of water, so it's not a dehydration thing. I think it's just the extra water that your body holds when it is holding onto salt and chemicals.

I have to admit that I was too afraid to weigh in until day 4. But since day 4, I've lost 1.5 pounds. Most people I know lost 4 pounds in the first 4 days. So I may have lost 5 pounds this week. I've counted my WW points without cheating, eaten almost all natural foods, taken the Jillian Michaels detox pills, and drank green tea 1-2 times a day.

Brandon and I are going to do the JM detox too on the 15th when we get paid we are going to get it and start it. I have been off of soft drinks for 11 days now and I lost 2 pounds in 3 days! Some of that is that I am exercising also but that is just getting off soft drinks and walking during the day. I had bought some of the Lipton Diet Teas I used to love to drink when I get tired of water but after reading the label and seeing aspartame (which affects brain function) and all of the preservatives I decided against it. Not to mention the 75 grams of sodium! Brandon has been drinking SoBe water and the list of ingredients there doesn't seem horrible but the sodium is high and it has an artificial sweetener I have ever heard of Pure Vie or something like that.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    Brandon and I are going to do the JM detox too on the 15th when we get paid we are going to get it and start it. I have been off of soft drinks for 11 days now and I lost 2 pounds in 3 days! Some of that is that I am exercising also but that is just getting off soft drinks and walking during the day. I had bought some of the Lipton Diet Teas I used to love to drink when I get tired of water but after reading the label and seeing aspartame (which affects brain function) and all of the preservatives I decided against it. Not to mention the 75 grams of sodium! Brandon has been drinking SoBe water and the list of ingredients there doesn't seem horrible but the sodium is high and it has an artificial sweetener I have ever heard of Pure Vie or something like that.
    I was just reading about natural sweeteners yesterday. I think Pure Vie is a version of the Stevia plant, like what is used to make Truvia.
    Provided by FLMNetwork.com

Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by lanny76 View Post
    The high fructose corn syrup is a huge culprit in the 'fattening' of America, really. I don't totally ban every food that has it from my house, but I do try to be careful and selective about the foods we eat. Don't eat sugary cereal and don't drink pop in our house - even DH stopped buying himself pop, tho he can't leave cookies alone. He has absolutely NO metabolism problems though - at 53, he still weighs what he did in high school and is not soft at all! grrr (Actually, I don't have much trouble with weight gain either, because I'm active and DON'T eat cookies like he does!)
    I avoid aspartame as much as possible too - have heard less than wonderful things about it. Nutrasweet, too. I use Splenda or buy things with Splenda, because it seems to me to be more benign than other sweeteners - but I don't overuse it, either.
    Simply can't afford to go all organic either - if it cost less, I'd buy more!
    When dh and I started WW a few years ago, I did a lot of research on artificial sweeteners...After all the research, I try not to use products with aspartame. As for Splenda, although I think the taste is the most benign of the artificial sweeteners, there are some studies which are beginning to show a possible link between it and buildups of formaldehyde in the brain, so I avoid that. After all the research, if I feel like I really need to be careful with points (and I don't have access to any stevia), I will use 1 Sweet and Low. It has been the most studied because it has been around the longest. I remember as a kid when the big furor started about it and the connection to cancer in mice. Surprisingly, I was unable to find any studies which provided anything more than supposition on saccharin causing cancer in humans. Personally, I decided to start using Stevia, which I buy in packets with added fiber (Stevia plus, I believe) through Puritan's pride. It does have a little bit of a taste to get used to, but I like it just fine. I also sometimes use Truvia, which has more of a sugar consistency. More and more products are being made with stevia now, because there is a demand and more research is being done on the dangers of artificial products.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Has anyone tried Funky Monkey snacks? We started eating them last week and LOVE them! They are nothing but freeze dried fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I bought something similar at Costco. They came in a box with a bunch (don't remember how many but I'm thinking about 24) of 1/2 cup/.35oz bags. It had three varieties: Strawberry and banana, Fuji Apples, and Asian Pears. They are delicious and taste just like you were eating the fruit itself. I'm definitely going to buy more.

Looked on Amazon and these are the exact ones that I got at Costco and they were $12.99 for the box.
    http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-ALL-N...638648&sr=1-12
    Haven't tried these...although they sound interesting. I just love fruit, and I have to think that the whole fruit would provide more nutrients than dried.

[QUOTE=SunshineGirl;285521]I've been reading a lot of these same things from other sources! I'm really torn now on things like yogurt. I mean, I want to eat the low fat, no sugar added yogurt but now I am a little afraid of it. I'm trying to find a good balance. I used to drink about a quart of crystal light a day and I have completely cut that out. I'm really anxious to see if these changes make a difference.

Tricia, I try to eat plenty of yogurt because it really is a healthy product for you. I wish I could say that I make my own so that I would know exactly what is in it, but I don't (although I know people wo do and they say it's pretty easy...) What I do is buy the large container of lowfat Plain yogurt. When I get my lunch ready in the morning, I scoop out 1 cup of yogurt, add in 1 stevia packet and abot 1-1 1/2 tsp. vanilla and stir it up good. Then I add in some frozen berries or whatever cut up fruit I have. It tastes just like "regular" vanilla yogurt, but without all the sugar or sugar substitutes in the common lowfat or non-fat varieties.
    Sunshine Rewards

Here is my update on eating whole foods and avoiding Artificial sweeteners and processed foods. I started a month ago. Week 1 I lost 5 pounds. Week 2 we did the Jillian Michael's detox and I didn't weigh myself that week. Week 3 was a tough week. Brandon was out of town and the kids and I ate out 3 times and it was NOT whole foods to say the least LOL. We have been eating dairy, veggies, fruits, meats and seafood. We have not added in any grains yet because I don't feel confident I know how to choose the right ones but we are sure missing pasta. I have read amazing things about a brand called Ezekial so I am going to look for that on our next shopping trip. I weighed yesterday and I am down 10 pounds. I am managing to exercise in some form about 3-4 days a week (life keeps getting in the way). It is interesting to note though that Brandon has been doing this for 2+ months. Works out 2 times a day but drinks waters with artificial sweeteners of one kind or another all day instead of plain water like me and he has only lost 14 pounds total in his time. I am inclined to think it is the artificial sweeteners because he usually has no problem dropping weight. He doesn't want to believe me though. There really are so many more changes I need to make but convienence and money make it hard to do it all at once. My next big step will be buying meat from a farmer who grass feeds the cow and then butchers it and sells it by the side or half a side. I figure it will big a major outlay once a year but should give me "organic" local raised beef to last most of the year. I definitely feel much better. I notice my fibrolyalgia like symptoms (never been diagnosed but would swear it is what I have) have lessened. I have more energy and sleep better also. We will see what happens!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
    Do any of you believe much in the theory that you can actually gain weight (or not lose when you are trying) because you eat too many chemicals? I have real sugar problems. Even on WW, I manage to eat stuff with corn syrup every day. I also eat a lot of "packaged" snacks to stay within my points and they have a lot of chemicals and preservatives.

Is it possible that I have been sabotaging my self with artificial sweeteners and things that I thought were actually helping me stay "on plan"??
    I think it's possible.

When I realized what was happening with DS and corn syrup (and related products), and by the way when I first noticed the correlation I posted HERE because I felt SAFE here so thank you for that, we started cutting down on those products for me and DH as well.

Later, a bit over a year from then, DH was diagnosed dramatically with diabetes. And so he tests his blood sugar, and from that (and actually some things that happened before diagnosis) he realized just what HFCS and corn syrup does to his blood sugars. They shoot it SKY high. They shoot it higher and faster than normal sugar does.

"They" say that sugar is sugar, but DH's blood sugar testing, and DS's reactions, show that it's wrong.

The WW stuff...some of it tastes soooo good. But we had to stop buying it b/c it's just such junk. And neither of us lost ANY weight while we were eating it! And we were watching our other food...but we didn't lose, and even gained, while eating WW lunches every day.

I haven't eaten artificial sweeteners since college. I stopped when I was drinking a ton of diet sodas to keep weight down. I decided that drinking 2 or 3 16oz diet sodas a day wasn't healthy, and I replaced that with ONE 16 oz regular soda per day. And inside a week dropped over 5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I was told by one of my doctors that they think that the artificial sweetners caused a mini-stroke that I had about 12 years ago...
    While that doesn't surprise me that it happened (though I sure am sorry it happened to you!), what shocks me is that your doctor knows this and told you! Back in the early 90s, I learned about the problems with nutrasweet etc, in that it's a neurotoxin and can cause miniseizures etc. But it was poo-pooed as "conspiracy theory"ish, etc etc, and something that just nutty people believed. So now it's out on the mainstream, eh?

I was also shocked to find out that the correlation used between obesity and diabetes is not necessarily a true one. It seems it is more likely that the chemicals we injest are causing issues in our body that mimic diabetes and therefore our bodies respond to those changes and hold on to the weight in response and then we end up actually developing diabetes because of it!
    That is so so interesting.

Here is my update on eating whole foods and avoiding Artificial sweeteners and processed foods. I started a month ago. Week 1 I lost 5 pounds. Week 2 we did the Jillian Michael's detox and I didn't weigh myself that week. Week 3 was a tough week. Brandon was out of town and the kids and I ate out 3 times and it was NOT whole foods to say the least LOL. We have been eating dairy, veggies, fruits, meats and seafood. We have not added in any grains yet because I don't feel confident I know how to choose the right ones but we are sure missing pasta. I have read amazing things about a brand called Ezekial so I am going to look for that on our next shopping trip. I weighed yesterday and I am down 10 pounds.

I notice my fibrolyalgia like symptoms (never been diagnosed but would swear it is what I have) have lessened. I have more energy and sleep better also. We will see what happens!

Congratulations on the weight loss!!!!!!

About the fibromyalgia symptoms; as part of the diet/cleanse, have you been avoiding eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and potatoes? If so, it might be related. Those are part of the big nightshade family of plants, and can cause joint pains etc etc.

Apart from that, just getting off some weight can help joints feel better; I'm experiencing that myself!

What an interesting thread!
    Sunshine Rewards