Thread: New Orleans Zoo

Default New Orleans Zoo

Ok all my New Orleans SR friends. We want to take the kids over for a zoo day. We have not as a family gone into NO since the storm. My dh goes over for work but it is basically in and out to one or two distinct places. So we will come in off I-10 and exit onto Magazine(I think that is the right street)- any areas to avoid, we will not be hitting the French Quarter just want to do the zoo. We always would go over for the boo in the zoo thing, and I miss it. So if any of y'all have any tips please let me know!! Thanks alot!!!
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

Really nothing to avoid, we've been to the zoo since the hurricane and everything down that way is pretty well back to normal. Magazine would be your best route. See about taking your lunch and sitting under the oaks, always nice and cool.

We went right after it opened back up and the only things we saw that were not back to normal were some of the trees and the Asia area were you walk thourgh with the sloths, the bamboo was broken and down, so not as pretty as it usually is.

For some reason my lose my memory and someone always gets me up on Monkey Hill and I have to come down that spiderweb of ropes, unfortunatly I have not been blessed with much grace

Have fun, this is one of the best zoos there are!

I know Cindy, I love that zoo. I have been going over their at 2-3 times a year since I was a kid. And we don't have one over this way. So it is the closest to us. Thanks for the info we will probably be heading that way in a weekend or too!! Gotta love Monkey Hill with all those kids rolling down it!

Thanks again for the info!!
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

jnorth1007 is offline Got my mind wandering and luckily I didn't get lost

just dropped by for a ...

We are members of the zoo and aquarium and we go about once a month down there. The zoo is really completely back to normal now. The route to get there via Magazine is pretty well back to normal. Nothing that you need to avoid. They have done alot of work on the zoo since the storm and they are still remodeling things. Not from damage but from updating things. Very fun. Bring some cash with you for the carosel (sp?) and they now have and interactive safari ride too. They have added a rock wall for the older kids. Hope you guys have a great time. Let me know when you are going and maybe we can come meet up!
    Sunshine Rewards

Oh Janet that would be fun. They had the carousel, and safari ride when we were there right before the storm. I will get dh and the calendar and see when we are gonna go and let ya know!!
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

FABU! Let me know!
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I just read yall's update and heard there is a safari ride at the NOLA Zoo. How exciting. Is it like a tram that goes through the zoo with a guide giving out factoids?
    Sunshine Rewards

Umm no nothing that spectacular LOL. There is a train that drives around the edges of the zoo that does that. The safari thing is a simulation ride where it simulates being on a safari and the "pod" moves around a bit.
    Sunshine Rewards

The Dallas Zoo has one of those. It is so cool. But it is only open certain times of the year.

Janet, I will let ya know when we are going. We were just hit with the fact that our middle child is losing his hearing, again, and is gonna need even more surgeries, so I have kinda been in a funk this week dealing with DR's, ENT's and Audiologist.

But it is something I want to do even more now since they are most likely gonna have to operate! I will let ya know what weekend we are going.
    LydiaSunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth1007 View Post
    Umm no nothing that spectacular LOL. There is a train that drives around the edges of the zoo that does that. The safari thing is a simulation ride where it simulates being on a safari and the "pod" moves around a bit.
    darn! The Baton Rouge Zoo use to have a tram and a train. I think they are just down to the train. I had no idea NOLA had a train. I guess its been a while since I've been there.
    Sunshine Rewards