Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in Turkey

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Wow what a way to start off your trip! I am glad to hear that you did make it there finally and I can't wait to read more. Love the pictures!
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Default European Turkey to Asian Turkey

Day 4

This morning we left Istanbul and had a long drive to Gallipoli. We were going to see Anzac Cove and the area of the peninsula made famous by the landing of the allied forces in World War I. It is also where Attaturk (the founder of the modern state of Turkey). We visited two of the 32 cemetaries in the area and a small local museum. It was very sad to see the photos of all these young men who were stuck in a futile effort and read letters from both sides that showed they all just wanted to be home with their families.

After our visit we took a ferry to Canakkale on the Asian side of Turkey. We were spending the night there before heading down the Agean Coast.

Day 5

This morning we drove to Troy to see the famous archaeological site. They have a replica of the Trojan Horse on the site that you can climb up in. It is not an accurate replica as the original, if there was such a thing, would not have had windows.

Troy is still being excavated and as a former archaeology student I could have spent days poking around.

I think most of the group found it a little less interesting though and it was a bit cool that day. Good thing we got hot tea when we got back on the bus!

After Troy we continued down the coast heading for Pergamum. On the way we passed a small town cdalled Kucukkuyu, where we saw camels being led to the stadium to participate in camel wrestling. I guess in some parts of Turkey this is as big as high school football is in the States.

Sunshine Rewards

Default A Blustery Day

Day 5 Continued

We finally reached Pergamum, a site known for having one of the largest libraries in the ancient world. It was known to rival Alexandria. While we toured the site the wind was incredible. The main part of the site is the acropolis which is on top of a high cliff. They are in the process of building a cable car to get people to the top so that cars and buses will no longer have to take the winding road up. The view from up there is amazing but at times it felt like we would be blown right off the cliff.

After our visit we were on our way to Kusadasi where we would be staying for two nights. The wind got even stronger and that night there was a big storm. Our hotel was right on the Aegean so we had high waves. It was kind of cool but we were glad we were inside. We couldn't believe it the next morning when some people said they didn't even realize there was a storm. I guess people were tired out from all the hiking we had done. I still don't know how they missed the thunder, lightening and driving rain, not to mention the crashing waves.
    Sunshine Rewards

Megan

thanks so much for sharing this trip. Loving your story and enjoying all the photos... keep it coming!

Pamela
    Pamela

Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Don't you just love the "Real Fake Designer XYZ" signs (in my case it said watches) in Turkey!

I love the photos so far. So sorry you had travel issues. We had them last week on our cruise but nothing as bad as yours.
    Sunshine Rewards

Great photos! Sorry about your traveling experiences. I hope your return was a little easier?!

You are really traveling the world, aren't you? Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
    Sunshine Rewards

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

Your pictures are outstanding. Loving every minute of your TR.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

Default I could live here

Day 6

This morning the storm was over and we had beautiful sun to greet us. We started our day at the House of Mary. Some believe this is where Mary came with Paul (or one of those dudes) and lived out the last of her days. There is a chapel on the site but any remains of a house are completely gone. You can have a mass done there if you request it in advance. One of the weirdest things about the site is that there is a wall where people have tied handkerchiefs and napkins as a sign of their prayers.

After that we headed to Ephesus - the very well preserved city. I love it here. I could explore for days. We did get several hours here, which was great. It wasn't as crowded as the last time I was here either.

After a good part of the day at the site, we went for a late lunch and spent some time at a carpet factory. This is a somewhat inevitable part of any visit to Turkey. They give a bit of a demonstration and show you the different types of carpet. I was surprised at how many people in my group bought carpets. I was starting to feel unwell at this point and just wanted to go back to the hotel. We finally got to leave and I crashed for a nap before dinner. After dinner I had an early night but woke up frequently. I hate being sick and when you are travelling it is even worse. I just wanted my own bed and my own food. I was not looking forward to being on the road in the morning.
    Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

I recognize your photos! I was there last year. I believe my tour guide said the bottom foot of bricks at Mary's House (the reddish ones) are the original bricks. Everything else it what they think it all looks like.

We did fall for the carpet sale. We bought a small one. I didn't pay attention to how many in our group bought them but I know we couldn't have been alone. Good for you for standing strong and not buying!
    Sunshine Rewards

The base bricks are the remains of a chapel that existed on the site in the 1st century. So early but not early enough to be the house if such a house exisited.
    Sunshine Rewards