Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adventures in Turkey

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

Default On any other day...

Day 7

Having been up feeling ill most of the night I was not really in the mood for the stop at the leather factory. Apparently the fashion show was really fun since they had the group participate. There were some serious shoppers in our group and many of them bought jackets. My stepmom even bought one and I so do not picture her as a leather person. I stayed on the bus and slept. I think this was the morning I also had a conversation with the bus driver with my non-existent Turkish, his extremely limited English and both of us butchering French. Very fun, I just wished I felt better at the time.

After people parted with their money we were on our way to Pamukkale, which is famous for having cliffs of white travertine.

On any other day I would have taken off my shoes and gone wading in the pools of water. Unfortunately, I was in no condition to appreciate it. We also walked around the site, which is a weird mix of an archeological site with modern stuff in it. Apparently the cliffs used to have hotels on top until they figured out that it was causing the cliffs to lose their whiteness. Something about taking too much water away and since the calcium in the water is what makes the cliffs white they now carefully manage the water flow.

After our meander through the site we headed to our hotel, which had a hot spring pool. This one obviously had a lot of iron in the water since the rocks were quite red. Again, I didn't feel up to going in which is a shame. I guess I'll just have to go back someday.
    Sunshine Rewards

Oh wow, that's beautiful! I thought it was snow until I read your report. Simply beautiful.

I'm sorry you weren't feeling well.
    Sunshine Rewards

Magical JenK is offline I'm weird like that

BAMM!! Right in the eye!!

Ok I'm nearly 6 months late on this thread, but Megan I do hope you finish it. I'm very intrigued by your photos! I would have never thought I'd want to see Turkey, but I really do. I will have to look into the calcium (?) making the hills white? I don't get that part hahahaha!
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards
    Member Since 01/01/2007 Addiction makes the reward balance higher! ID#4800

Quote Originally Posted by Magical JenK View Post
    Ok I'm nearly 6 months late on this thread, but Megan I do hope you finish it. I'm very intrigued by your photos! I would have never thought I'd want to see Turkey, but I really do. I will have to look into the calcium (?) making the hills white? I don't get that part hahahaha!
    My goodness I can't believe I never finished this Life just gets in our way sometimes doesn't it?

The calcium (it can be other minerals or metals) is in the water. When the water runs over an area and then evaporates it leaves the calcium or whatever behind. I imagine that kind of build up takes years.
    Sunshine Rewards

Default Day 8 and 9

We had a long bus ride to the Mediterranean coast. For me it was a miserable trip. We stopped somewhere along the way for some traditional food but I don't really recall it. I slept as much of the way as I could. Thankfully, our destination was Antalya and we had two nights here and no planned tours. The coastline here was beautiful but I'm afraid I didn't take many pictures. There is a great museum here but no pics allowed. We spent almost 3 hours inside!

There was lots to do from this area and I would love to go back and spend more time here one day. That list gets longer and longer.
    Sunshine Rewards