Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We came THIS close.....

Default We came THIS close.....

We just got back from our surprise anniversary trip(more about the trip later ). While there we did the open house for the DVC. We were soooo close to doing it. The guy was great at answering our questions and convincing us that we really should do it. We had dinner reservations so we had to leave prematurely, but made a plan to meet up again the next day to finalize. The rest of that night I had anxiety attacks. I was sooo nervous about the whole thing and felt really pressured to sign before we left - they had a signing bonus of sorts that was hard to say no to - but I did. I said no. My husband would have said yes. Now of course, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. It really sounds like a great plan, though we're the first to admit we know virtually nothing about timeshares. Financially we aren't in the best spot to add another bill every month, which was my main concern. But at the same time, it seems the sooner you buy, the better....... Can anyone give me your perspectives - both pro and con!! Guess I'm particularly interested in if anyone has any cons. ugh.
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

The only CON you are going to find from most owners is that they didn't buy sooner or enough points!

I have had DVc SINCE 2005 and LOVE it! It is a forced vacation for us for over 40 yrs...at today's prices.

It gives you more time to relax and smell the roses because you know you will be back again. We did a 10 day trip that we only went to the parks twice.

Where are you considering buying? I own SSR and would be happy to answer anything I can...and push you over the line to buy!!
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by ligrumpygirl View Post
    The only CON you are going to find from most owners is that they didn't buy sooner or enough points!

I have had DVc SINCE 2005 and LOVE it! It is a forced vacation for us for over 40 yrs...at today's prices.

It gives you more time to relax and smell the roses because you know you will be back again. We did a 10 day trip that we only went to the parks twice.

Where are you considering buying? I own SSR and would be happy to answer anything I can...and push you over the line to buy!!
    I think I'm going to find it hard to find anyone who has any cons If we do it relatively soon, we would probably buy SSR. Would you mind telling me how many points you bought? That will be the next conversation we have to have......
    Christina
    Sunshine Rewards

Since your going to start thinking about points if you are looking for less then the 160 Disney now makes you buy their are several DVC resale companys that you can buy fewer points and usually at better prices then disney has to offer... Just an idea...

I can not wait until i can save enough to buy a DVC!!!! The biggest con i could think of is the upfront cost, but its a great deal over all the year you will have it and the yearly dues do add up as well..... But its Disney.... Its an investment in future vacations... Have fun It is a big decision!

I also don't know if they are selling AK DVC yet but they do have a longer life span then the current SSR.... Just another thing to look at..
    -NOn DisBoards
    Next WDW: POP 09.04-14.08 & Free Dining
    Past WDW: 04.01, ASMO 07.05, 09.05, 09.06, 09.07.

Quote Originally Posted by bs4free View Post
    Since your going to start thinking about points if you are looking for less then the 160 Disney now makes you buy their are several DVC resale companys that you can buy fewer points and usually at better prices then disney has to offer... Just an idea...

I can not wait until i can save enough to buy a DVC!!!! The biggest con i could think of is the upfront cost, but its a great deal over all the year you will have it and the yearly dues do add up as well..... But its Disney.... Its an investment in future vacations... Have fun It is a big decision!

I also don't know if they are selling AK DVC yet but they do have a longer life span then the current SSR.... Just another thing to look at..
    They started selling AKV in...April? My brother and SIL just got back from their first trip home.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

We bought BCV back in 2003 and got in just before they sold out. We consider it a prepaid vacation. Think of it this way...what is a room going to cost 10 years from now? How about 30 years from now...DVC will never go up like room rates will, granted the annual fees will but you will be staying in a Deluxe resort from now on. Now if you are satisfied staying in a value or intermediate resort, than DVC might not be right for you. Also, if you have to finance a loan to purchase, you would have to figure that in the cost too. Good Luck...we absolutely LOVE our vacation club and wouldn't want to give it up for anything!!
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Quote Originally Posted by zoodoyle View Post
    We just got back from our surprise anniversary trip(more about the trip later ). While there we did the open house for the DVC. We were soooo close to doing it. The guy was great at answering our questions and convincing us that we really should do it. We had dinner reservations so we had to leave prematurely, but made a plan to meet up again the next day to finalize. The rest of that night I had anxiety attacks. I was sooo nervous about the whole thing and felt really pressured to sign before we left - they had a signing bonus of sorts that was hard to say no to - but I did. I said no. My husband would have said yes. Now of course, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. It really sounds like a great plan, though we're the first to admit we know virtually nothing about timeshares. Financially we aren't in the best spot to add another bill every month, which was my main concern. But at the same time, it seems the sooner you buy, the better....... Can anyone give me your perspectives - both pro and con!! Guess I'm particularly interested in if anyone has any cons. ugh.
    As a former realtor and big time negotiator, anytime you are going to get involved in a timeshare, ask for a repoed one. They always have a ton of them. I'm not sure if the ones on the point system would work the same way, but they probably do. Years ago in college my professor was really into the timeshares, they were just coming out (oh how I date myself) but we learned a lot about them. I've bought three of them and think its a good way to go, overall.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

cglaura is offline Am I the only one picturing the Brady Bunch

I think my biggest thing would be that you said you weren't in the postition to add another bill every month. If anything, I would take whatever that monthly payment would have been, and stick it in a high yield account, then you can do as Cindy suggested, and buy a "used" DVC, but you can pay for it outright. It is all a personal decision though, how much will you use all of the aspects of the timeshare.

I had DVC membership when married, we lived in AL and it made sense for us b/c we could drive down for alot of weekends. But I sold after the divorce. My main reason being it was only myself and DD going, we are park commandos, so only sleep and shower at the resort, and I could get 2 weeks at a value for what I was paying in annual dues, we now had flights from NJ to consider, not to mention being able to stick the money from the sale into a college fund. It made sense for me to sell. Do I miss staying at OKW? Heck yeah! Did I need all that space just to sleep and shower, nope.
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Ok I'll give you the cons that I've picked up from reading others posts which you can rationalize if you want since I do not know much about DVC

I would not buy DVC because they expire. They are not deedable (ie can pass down to your kiddos after death like other timeshares). I also do not know much about DVC - ie can they be exchanged for other non-disney locations- but I"m not sure if I want to be forced to go to Disney every year. Sometimes it is nice to go to Cali or NY or some other place besides WDW.
    Sunshine Rewards

bbangel is offline Those of us on the fun coast can party some more!

I know what it's like to be stupid for days

This is a tough call. You have to decide if you can afford the upfront payment and then the annual dues each year. Only you know what your budget and comfort level are.
    My best advice is to buy a smaller contract on the resale market. Lower upfront cost and lower dues. You can always add on more later once you can afford to increase your costs.
    Having fewer points also means that you can space out your trips a bit so that the other expenses (food, tickets, travelling etc.) are also spaced out.
    Sunshine Rewards