Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dining Disappointment - Don't You Hate It?

Default Dining Disappointment - Don't You Hate It?

Don't you hate it when you have a great meal somewhere and rave about it, so someone goes to that restaurant based on your recommendation.....and then they have a bad experience

I feel so bad, I really talked up Whispering Canyon to my sister and her family and when they went last night that had a pretty crummy time.

The food was good but the service was TERRIBLE, and at a restaurant like that one it makes a huge difference if the service is good (especially for the kids).

I'm really sad that they didn't get to enjoy it like we did.....and I feel kind of guilty that they wasted a TS on WCC and had that experience.

Anyone else ever feel like that?
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

spring is offline Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

I agree. I think many of have had that experience. I feel responsible because I recommended it in the first place. However, I think a place should not be completely judged by 1 bad experience. Things happen, and people change.
    PAT - 21X SUPERMEMBER
    Sunshine Rewards

m4travels is offline Deep breaths, everyone. Stay calm. Back away from the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyBoys View Post
    Don't you hate it when you have a great meal somewhere and rave about it, so someone goes to that restaurant based on your recommendation.....and then they have a bad experience

I feel so bad, I really talked up Whispering Canyon to my sister and her family and when they went last night that had a pretty crummy time.

The food was good but the service was TERRIBLE, and at a restaurant like that one it makes a huge difference if the service is good (especially for the kids).

I'm really sad that they didn't get to enjoy it like we did.....and I feel kind of guilty that they wasted a TS on WCC and had that experience.

Anyone else ever feel like that?
    Yeah, I get nervous about that, too. We usually have wonderful service and great times when we go out and we used to let everyone know about it. I think what happens is we get so caught up in our own hype of the experience that maybe it seems stupendous in another's eyes. Some of our friends who have taken our advice actually have said they can see absolutely nothing redeeming about the restaurant that we suggested. We then have gone back to said restaurant and have another phenomenal time. What makes it different??

We've been very fortunate to get into a restaurant at D'land that most people don't even know about, Club 33. I worked with a woman whose son was one of the first members of the club and for quite a while we were going in every month. We went in with wide eyes the first time, had a great experience; good meal, great service, great wine, and, once again, GREAT service (yup, repeated for emphasis). The next time we went in we had our same server and it was an exact repeat of the first time. We sort of became his regular table.

The one time we went and he wasn't there we were placed with another senior cast member. We went with a friend who enjoys food and unfortunately we hit a bad night. Food came out cool, we felt rushed, it wasn't a pleasant time, but the three of us had fun just being together. She did mention when we were leaving that it was nothing like she imagined it would be based on our previous descriptions and said that she would never waste her time going there again.

We went the next week, our normal server still wasn't back; had the same server as the previous week and it was a totally different meal. Everything was perfect. The time we went with our friend was one of those anomalies. It does happen unfortunately.

Sorry your sister and family didn't have a great time. Don't really have much more to say except, unfortunately, things happen. Not a lot of sunshine in that comment though....
    Dude
    Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

Oh my Gosh... I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! When my DD danced with her dance group in the MK in June, I recommended several (and I do mean several) restaurants to a few of the famililies that went- Chef Mickey's, Yachtman's,Fulton's, O'Hana's, le Cellier, Coral Reef, etc and NOT one family enjoyed ANY of them!!!!! I don't know what it was or why but they didn't enjoy them- the only restaurant they raved about was Rainforest in DTD- They thought the food and service were outstanding!!! I like the food at RF DTD but usually the service is rather slow and honestly, I like the food at other restaurants much better....I don't get it but needless to say, I was heart-broken and felt some what responsible for them not liking it and spending so much $$$$ on these restaurants. I am very reluctant to recommend any restaurants now - not just Disney...sorry your sister had a bad time but I do know how you are feeling. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw when it comes to service- now, I just politely tell others, including family that we all have different tastes and I want them to make their own judgements and have their own experiences but, no matter what- I DO recommend going to WDW and keeping an OPEN mind, knowing that there might be small "bumps" in the road. "Bumps" will happen but I tell them not to let it ruin the trip.

Laura
    Sunshine Rewards

Don't feel bad about recommending places. You said what you thought was good from your experience. We went to Mama Melrose and the server was the worst. I have never heard anything bad about LeCelliers!

I am sorry they didn't enjoy the food or service but you offered what was good for you.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Oh this is my worst fear and I tend to take things to heart when I hear negative responses to my recommendations. I'm sure it is like everyone has already said though with it just depending on your server and how busy the restaurant is on a particular night. Plus there is no telling what mindset these people had when they walked in and ordered that night.
    Sunshine Rewards

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like that. I know it's not my fault and there are so many variables that go into it but still.......you can't help but feeling bad about it!!

In this case it was just a case of bad service and poor communication. WCC is so hit or miss. Our experience there was so wonderful though that I feel really bad that they couldn't have the same kind of fun experience, especially since they were looking forward to it so much.

Oh well, win some lose some.......
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

chipndale is offline All this talk makes me want a ginormous glass of bubbly!

Smile

Just wondering what was so terrible about the service? Was the server unattentive? We have eaten there several times and we love it. But on one of our trips we took my parents. Well, my dad did not feel like playing along with the "fun" and the server just left us alone. For the rest of us, it was a very average dinner.
    Go Pens! Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by chipndale View Post
    Just wondering what was so terrible about the service? Was the server unattentive? We have eaten there several times and we love it. But on one of our trips we took my parents. Well, my dad did not feel like playing along with the "fun" and the server just left us alone. For the rest of us, it was a very average dinner.
    The server gave them alot of misinformation (no shakes allowed on ddp, no desserts for the kids, etc), she was crabby and didn't ANYTHING to play the part. That might not usually be a big deal but they have little kids who were watching all the other kids get do stuff and were very sad that they didn't get to do anything.

Plus she was very inattentive and semi-rude. I agree that if you don't get to have the "experience" of WCC, it's just an average meal.
    Sunshine Rewards
    Carrie

Don't feel bad!!! We normally have a great time wherever we go so the few times that it is crappy don't even count! Heck, it was your rave reviews that prompted us to come down for an extra trip in the first place. Tonight we are going to Ohana and I know it will be SUPER! The MNSSHP was the coolest thing ever! I will save that for my report when I get home though.

I think the WCC experience depends so much on your server. We made ADR's and showed up 20 minutes early but had to wait 40 minutes to be seated. With a 2,3 and 4 year old that was kind of tough but we got to walk around the lobby and see some cool stuff. When we did get seated, we waited over 10 minutes for our server to even come to the table. That was a bit frustrating. To make a long story short, she wouldn't let the 2 kids on the dining plan get appetizers or dessert. Why deprive a kid of watermelon and chocolate? My daughter really wanted to take people ketchup but our waitress didn't even show back up in time to ask for any of our own. We waited a long time for everything and just felt out of patience at the end. Oh well.

Tonight will be great! I know it.
    (4) (3) (2)
    Us: "Where do you guys want to go for dinner tonight?"
    Kids: "Disney World"
    Sunshine Rewards